1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: BG series Vs IWD series

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Lazy Bonzo, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Ok now that both series have finished (as far as i know there isn't a sequel planned for IWD2, atleast not at this very moment) i've decided to make this poll to see which bits of the 2 series were preffered.

Clarification of question areas
    Locations - where you go, whether you have to or not. IWD is more direct with fewer locales while BG is more roaming.

Visuals - Most likely spell effects but also applys to the backgrounds.

Audio - Music and voices.

Rules - 2e (BG), 2e/3e (BG2), 3e (IWD2). Just how well they're implemented and which you prefer.

I think the others are self explanatory.

[ January 11, 2003, 15:15: Message edited by: Lazy Bonzo ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 9 question(s). 56 user(s) have voted.

Poll Results: BG series Vs IWD series (56 votes.)

Story (Choose 1)
    * Baldurs Gate series (BG1 > Tob) - 95% (53)
    * Icewind Dale 1 (IWD + How + Trials) - 0% (0)
    * Icewind Dale 2 - 5% (3)

Audio (Choose 1)
    * Baldurs Gate series - 43% (24)
    * Icewind Dale series - 57% (32)

Visuals (Choose 1)
    * BG series - 5% (3)
    * BG1 (original + TotSC) - 2% (1)
    * BG2 (+ Tob) - 32% (18)
    * IWD series - 7% (4)
    * IWD 1 (+How + Trials) - 2% (1)
    * IWD 2 - 27% (15)
    * Never reall noticed/preferred any (it's the same engine after all) - 25% (14)

Classes (Choose 1)
    * Originals - BG 1/IWD 1 - Basics - 5% (3)
    * BG2 + Tob - Kits - 45% (25)
    * IWD2 - 3e mix and match - 50% (28)

Locations (Choose 1)
    * BG series locations (places you visit) - 88% (49)
    * IWD series locations (places you visit) - 13% (7)

Replayability (Choose 1)
    * BG series - 91% (51)
    * IWD series - 9% (5)

Rule implementation (Choose 1)
    * Orginals BG1 / IWD1 - 16% (9)
    * BG2+Tob - 41% (23)
    * IWD2 - 43% (24)

Companions/Party (Choose 1)
    * BG series - Choose NPC's - 75% (42)
    * IWD series - Make your own party - 25% (14)

Overall (Choose 1)
    * BG series - 88% (49)
    * IWD series - 13% (7)

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I prefer the freedom of IWD series, thought the Story of BG is better. I think that the audio is better in IWD and some of the graphics are too. The rules are alright in all of them, but overall I shocked myself in choosing - IWD.

Even though BG is brilliant I feel more free in IWD

Perhaps they could combine them :lol:
    :hmm: Icewind Gate and Baldurs' Dale

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I liked IwD1, above all else.

But I think I'm going to have to go with Baldur's Gate on this one.

Icewind Dale 2 just wasn't as Icewindy as the first one. I was/am disappointed with it. The first one was serious; IwD2 is like, a parody. Even the evil rants are terrible. Overall, I feel it detracts from the "saga".

Baldur's Gate 1 was fairly serious. The story is well developed, and "followable" (as opposed to the story of say, Final Fantasy 7). Baldur's Gate 2 was serious, but they sprawled it out with character interactions and sub-quests. Overall, a very good mix.

The bad thing here is, I played Baldur's Gate 1 after playing Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate 2. And I still thought it was a superior game, aside from the inventory-pause issue.

Even PsT drills down the Horror that is the Icewind Dale 2 plot...

4. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] Its good to see that BG so far does seem to be the more popular game by far. We have to thank Minsc and Boo for that ;)

5. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Personally I don't care for the IWD series. I played the original and it wasn't my cup of tea. BG for me.

6. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

All valid points. However, i had to say BG for story but IWD for everything else.

I've played BG twice (once w full party, once solo). I could prob play again but would avoid the side quests coz i hate those long dialogs where the answer you give actually matters, and you have to read it to know what to do next.

I've recently started BG2 after just finishing IWD. I've only just got out of the prison place and already i'm starting to feel a bit bored. Too much randomly going into buildings to work out what to do next. I prefer when the objective is clear and i can go into battle.

Another point, Levelling. IWD - level faster and to higher levels. BG - not as high level, and level slower.

Oh, to do with visuals, in IWD, a large creature IS large (giants, cyclops, those giant beetle things) but in BG, they are a bit bigger that a normal human.

Although, i had to say, i thought IWD was a bit short (i dont have any expansions).

Arrgghh, i could just keep going. Last point. I hated Durlag's tower when i first played BG but now i like it. And since most of the missions in IWD are comparably in size to Durlags, the small missions are just TOO small.

7. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Was this a joke? OF COURSE, BG!!! IMO, BG and IWD can't be compared. In fact, I think this is the only poll in my life in which I voted the same answer choice for all questions. But I didn't do so with bias. I won't even comment on story. Secondly, BG has much better audio; IWD music and audio was too similar throughout, although quite good, at least in the beginning. Graphicswise, IWD was too plain. Snow, snow, and more snow (o, yeah, and too many caves). BG was desert, forest, city, village, mountains, cave, fortress, hell, Underdark - you name it.

IMO, this poll does not show anything we already don't know and is only there to confirm that BG will rule forever over IWD!! (Although I've played both)

8. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Portraits - In BG they are all the same portraits used for NPCs. In IWD, there aren't any NPCs so you never see a mirror image of yourself.

9. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Interesting, I choose BG series as ultimate choice but I feel like Iwd 1 was as good as the BG series.

IWD 2, I can't get into the game, it seems I don't like the rules and what they do for me. I'm gonna finish of course but it doesn't have that feel.

BG 1, is the mother of all ie games and therefor is the best, even better then BG2, especially the story, dark intense, and full of surprises in the end. Of course it was my introduction into D&D, forgotten realms.

BG2 of course is a excellent game, an I finished it about 10 times, but never solo, in fact I have never solod any ie game!

10. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I like the IWD ability of choosing subclasses, but the location and story of the BG series is a lot better.

11. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Generally I went for Icewind Dale, mainly because it was the thing that got me into this fantasy malarky.

12. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The BG series got my vote for story, but otherwise it was nearly a sweep for Icewind Dale 2. This is mostly due to the fact that IWD2 is 3ed...I actually understand the rules now. I even turned on the roll displays, so I can see how everyone is rolling.

C'mon, THAC0 was nuts. Everything is much smoother and more streamlined in 3ed, and this comes through in Icewind Dale 2.

13. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I only voted the music stuff for IWD,the musics of IWD 1 was very good.I think only in simplicity IWD owns.And on others i think Baldur owns.There is interaction between characters in BG series so this is really what is good.

14. Istari of Thay Banned

I think the visuals and sounds (booms and splashs) are better in IWD2, but the story are clearly best in BG, BG 2 to but not that good...

IWD2 is, as mentioned, prettier than the BG series...

All over I enjoyed BG2 + ToB the most...

15. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Does anybody of you think that BG1 is better than BG2, if you exclude the graphics and such?

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I certainly do. BG2 was too bloated... with everything for my tastes.

17. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

It depends which you played first I think. But seriously BG is better.

[ February 23, 2003, 12:48: Message edited by: Farthy ]

18. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I regard BG II as the best game I've ever played and BG I as a close second. How can anyone compare them to the likes of IDW I & II? They're completely different games.

In BG you've got an epic tale about a Godspawn fighting against his/her evil half-brother. In BG II you've got a wonderful villain in Irenicus and in TOB you've got the Bhaalspawn. Not to mention the great Watcher's Keep.

What does IWD have to offer? One battle after another. Nothing in the way of roleplay. Shoddy graphics which always look dismal compared to BG. Villains that are so dull I used to skip through the dialogue with them because it wasn't worth reading.

The only thing IWD has better than BG is the cooler spell effects but for everything else BG wins hands down.

19. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

As with many, I preferred the more character driven story of the BG series, although I did like IWD's story. I really liked the locations in IWD especially the glacier in HOW, I've always liked icy tundra settings, but maybe I'm just weird. Generally, I prefer the partys of BG, partially because I really enjoyed the banter between party members, it made them seem more real. I definitely preferred the music of IWD, and rules? 3E all the way. Rules and graphics are all I give IWD II as best. But really, they offer two differant styles of game, and I'm not sure they are really comparable.

20. Azael Enteri Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Wait... IWD2 is pretty?!

I personally enjoyed the BG series a lot more than the IWD series and found that i got more out of it.

Also.. i think starting out with the pre-made party is slightly rediculous in pertaining to the story a lot of the time. I think you should just have a choice in a camp and the story begins or something. Yes, it kind of plays into the pre-made characters, but in a way, i liked the NPCs of BGII better.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.