1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Poll: Chain Contingency - What is your style?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Earl Grey, Sep 1, 2001.

1. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Chain Contingency
    Level 9
    Three spells of level 8 or lower are stored and released under a specific circumstance.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

My current habit is to:

Cast:
    Just before a battle.
    Release condition:
    See Enemy - Target Nearest Enemy.
    Store:
    Pierce Shield - Greater Malison - Abi Dalzim's HW.

Admittedly Pierce Shield very often turns out to be useless. Any comments on that?

2. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Okay, it depends entirely on who I'm fighting.

HARD Fights:

Cast:
    Before rest
    Release Condition:
    See Enemy - Target Nearest Enemy
    Store:
    Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting x3

I generally use this on particularly tough battles (ie. Demogorgon and Amelyssan).

Defensive Contingency

Cast:
    Before rest
    Release Condition:
    HP at 50%
    Store:
    Stoneskin, Protection from Magical Weapons, Protection from the Elements

I find this to be particularly useful, since almost all enemies in the game hit with Magical Weapons, and elemental damage is fairly common.

3. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I've never used it, so I wouldn't know...

However, doesn't the term 'contingency' imply that you *don't* know who you're fighting? If you're role playing seriously (which is admittedly difficult when you've gone through the game before), you never find out who 'the imprisoned one' is until he tells you, about 2 seconds before he appears and starts whalin' on you.

4. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] That's true Gonzago, this is why I use the spells I listed above and the reason why Pierce Shield so often turns out to be useless. :)

One option is to cast CC in battle in which case it will activate immediately.

5. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31

Well, if you're about to fight some 'Imprisoned One' that Helm himself had to imprison, you would think that he'd be a pretty tough cookie. And for Amelyssan, you know you're going to fight her. And even if you don't know how powerful she is, you can activate it during the break between fights. I hope that explained my reasoning.

6. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

And then you can be like me and forget about what's coming ahead :D Then its a surprise. As for chain contigency, I've used it too few times to really get a feel for what I like most. But I do like the versatillity you get with it.

7. Gonzago Gems: 14/31

Yeah, but I'd be careful with the whole Amelyssan thing. I had a thief that ended up doing about a grand worth of trap damage to some poison mist. (Or vampiric wraith or whatever. The ones with the air guy.)

Edit: What I mean is 'enemy sighted' could be just about anything. A buncha kobolds or whatnot. That's the hardest thing about her battle, I find...never knowing how much you can use how quickly.

[This message has been edited by Gonzago (edited September 01, 2001).]

8. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31

True, true, but the point of Horrid Wilting is the massive amounts of damage (~40-50) in an area effect spell that's party friendly. And besides-there aren't too many weak enemies in Amelyssan's fight, and with the Wish spell (and a lot of luck) you can refresh your spell list instantly.

9. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I've always used the spell solely for protection. I like the combo of Protection from Magical Weapons, Similacrum, and Morkendaikens Sword. It's a differnet combo, but I always set it to 25%, so if my HP ever get that low, I've pretty well protected plus I've got a couple of allies to protect me whilst I run for my life ;)

Side note: my favorited spell trigger is 3 Lower Resistances. Perfect for any high level enemy as it takes their resistance ususally down to around 0 in an instant. Then let the other mages rock them with horrid willting or comets or whatever. Too bad I figured this out so late in the game :(

10. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Bah, I could never stand resetting chain contingency every time before I rested so I ended up with some protection combo if Aerie was too seriously injured. Now the for the spell triggers I had 3 lower resistances, to be switftly folled by time stop, improved alacrity and about 25 other combat spells. :)

11. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Greater Malison + Lower Resistance on spell trigger, but on chain contingency I usually do something like, if I'm seriously injured cast improved invisibility and simulacrum and non-detection....

12. PitTrap Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

cheese offensive vs (most) dragons:
    condition: see enemy, taget: nearest enemy
    lower resistance x2
    power word blind

defensive vs spellcasters:
    condition: see enemy, taget: myself
    protection from enegy x2
    spell turning
    (this is in addition to a spell triggered globe of invulnerability+etc)

most people seem to like casting chain contingencies prior to battle or rest but i often set them up right when i see an enemy or during combat. That way theres nothing like: o goblin! 3 horrid wiltings! overkill!... and a heck of a waste.

13. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31

Well, it technically wouldn't be a waste since it's getting rid of the goblins and you refreshed your spell list by resting so you still have all your spells and a few goblins corpses :rolleyes:.

But usually you don't find goblins near dragons, do you?

My cheez tactic with Dragons:

Lower Resist, Greater Malison, Finger of Death

If you're lucky, the dragon falls in the first round.

And about the 3x horrid wilting chain contingency, it's particularly useful since Chain Contingency is cast instantaneously. So, it goes somewhat like this:

Sorcerer - Casts Timestop
    Sorcerer - Casts Improved Alacrity
    Sorcerer - Casts Chain Contingency (3x Abi-Dalzims)
    Sorcerer - Contingency Fired
    Sorcerer - Casts 5x Chain Lightnings
    Sorcerer - Casts 7x Magic Missiles
    Sorcerer - Casts 8x Flame Arrows
    Sorcerer - Casts 8x Fingers of Death
    (Move closer)
    Sorcerer - Casts 3x Pierce Magic
    Sorcerer - Casts Greater Malison

And then, if the enemy doesn't die:
    Enemy - Resistance Lowered - 3x
    Enemy - Saving Throws Lowered
    Enemy - Damage Taken (42 damage) 9x (horrid wiltings)
    Enemy - Damage Taken (22 damage) 5x (chain lightnings)
    Enemy - Damage Taken (17 damage) 8x (fingers of death)
    Enemy - Damage Taken (3 damage) 35x (magic missiles)
    Enemy - Damage Taken (7 damage) 80x (flame arrows)

If that doesn't kill, what does?

14. Caine Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

too bad you can't have it cast lvl9 nine spells and have more than one at a time he he contingicys within contingcys(can't spell) i normally use two horrid wilting and a delayed blast fireball(but this normally kills me so no wonder i'm losing)opppppps.....messed up ment stone skin

[This message has been edited by Caine (edited September 11, 2001).]

15. The DMage Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I think what AvaLance means is you cast the contingency after the first/second etc goes off. Plus he only had Horrid wiltings in those contingencies.

16. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31

I usually store level 7 and level 8 spells in the chain contingency. Level 6 and lower spells are stored in spell triggers. My favourite combo is the 3x Abi Dalzim's horrid wilting. For defence there is the Spell turning+Protection from energy+Simulacrum. At the same time I fire a spell trigger with protection from magical weapons+fireshield(red)+invisibility. Stoneskin is not nessessary because it lasts for 12 hours, and can be cast before rest.

17. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31

Simulacrum is a MAJOR LOSER. There are SO many advantages to Projected Image.

Projected Image
    Pros:

-Can cast all the spells you can cast, without draining your spell list.
    -Can use all the items you have without draining them.
    -Is equipped with all your equipment, thus: you have a Robe of Vecna, your Projected Image does, too!
    -Is created at your level.

Cons:
    -Can be dispelled by True Sight if it doesn't have Spell Immunity: Divination or Nondetection on.

Simulacrum:
    Pros:

NONE

Thus my point.

[This message has been edited by AvaLance204 (edited September 13, 2001).]

18. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31

Simulacrum:

pros: When casted you have two mages to cast spells.

cons: True, that the illusion mage is only 60% HD of the caster

Projected image:

pros: The illusion is the perfect copy of the caster

cons: The caster cannot move while the spell is active, plus the illusion is broken as the caster takes some damage like fireball or Abi Dalzim's hw..

19. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] Simulacrum may lose by itself, but how does this one sound:

cast SIMULACRUM
    cast PRJOJECT IMAGE
    PI casts SIMULACRUM

-> one main killer mage
    -> two assistant mages at 60% level (better than dualclassed Mage/Whatever !)

It works! At least in SoA it does... my sorcereress' favourite trick!!

20. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31

Whhuhoww! The only problem is that your "real" mage is stunned because he casted project image!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.