1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Do you consider the CRPGs canon?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Jesper898, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

When you play D&D do you consider what happened in the CRPGs (BG, IWD, PS:T, NWN, TOTEE and POR) to be canon?

Did the Bhaalspawn really exist, and was Waterdeep almost destroyed by the big M?

Personally I consider everything that happened in the games canon.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 39 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Do you consider the CRPGs canon? (39 votes.)

Do you consider the CRPGs canon? (Choose 1)
    * Yes, I consider at all canon. - 36% (14)
    * I only consider some of it canon. - 41% (16)
    * No, I do not consider it canon. - 23% (9)

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Could you explain what you mean by canon? Does it mean that it happened, or that it didn't

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Canon in this sense means that it is officially accepted/sanctioned as part of the mythos.

Which would mean that the events portrayed in the games would have to be taken into account by anyone developing material in those settings at that time and place, as well as their effects on the future of that setting.

4. Takara

Media:
    Ah, thanks. In that case, I am glad I picked the middle option. Planescape torment is more than likely to have been possible. The Nameless one, whilst having been around for ages, didn't shake the planes too much. Most of his impact was on a smaller, more personal front.
    Baldur's Gate and the Bhaalspawn, is another scenario that is possible. I'm not sure if it is widely accepted, but the ideas and possibilities are deffinately thee.
    The Icewind dale duo though, are frankly unlikely. Whilst the basic backbone of the stories is alright. There are some simiarities to the crystal shard for example. The idea that a group of six can slaughter it's way through an entire army is pretty thin. Especially in IWD2. Since none of them has godlike powers, I really see them getting minced up somewhere during the fight.

5. Shazamdude Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

You don't think an group of adventurers can go through an army? R.A Salvatore would definately disagree with you; his characters go through goblins/orc like they were wheat. In the Cleric Quintent, the charaters almost literally shredded an army.

I think you can take it into the canon if you go with the assumption that your character gives up his Godhood at the end of Throne of Bhaal. I don't think Wizards of the Coast would appreciate you making up your own gods in their setting.

6. Takara

Media:
    In the crystal shard, the guys did have a lot of help form the dwarves, barbarians, and ten towns. In the Halflings gem, there were the dwarves to help again. And remember what happened to Bruenor at the end of Streams of Silver. In the end, though, IWD2 has such relentless fighting, I'm not sure anyone can manage it realistically. But I will accept how the poll turns out.

7. Wiegraf Folles Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I consider the main things canon (i.e. Bhaalspawn, Sarevok and his plan for BG, the plague in NWN.) However, anything too insignificant, i don't think should be taken seriously. (Example: Your killing anyone of importance like Drizzt)

8. Dall Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Hmm... Some of it i think... I don't think, the Bhallspawns could have walked Faerûn in silence... But of course.. Some of the events could have happened... I don't care... Cause I prefferer to make my own adventures from the bottom...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.