1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Do you swear/curse/cus?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Kitrax, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Today at the store I heard a group of kids no older than 10 talking, and just about every word was Fu**, of Sh**...which got me thinking. How many of us out there swear on a regular baisis. So I made a poll. Do yourself a favor and vote, it'll be the highlight of your day. :thumb: :rolling:

[EDIT] Actually it won't...unless you're have one crappy day...but vote anyway! [/EDIT] --Kitrax

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 53 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Do you swear/curse/cus? (53 votes.)

Do you swear? (Choose 1)
    * Yes, I swear a lot. - 38% (20)
    * Yes on occasion...or just when it just has to be said. - 58% (31)
    * No, I don't swear, but I use phrases like, "Son of a bench!" - 0% (0)
    * No, I never swear...at least not out loud. - 4% (2)
    * I uphold the 5th! (No comment) - 0% (0)

When/where do you swear? (Choose up to 2) (Choose 2)
    * Whenever, Wherever...it doesn't matter, if someone gets offended, I say, "Fu** You!" - 8% (4)
    * Just around friends, or other people who swear. - 49% (26)
    * When I'm not around anyone who would get offended. - 51% (27)
    * Only when I do something really stupid, like smashing a thumb with a hammer. - 30% (16)
    * I don't swear...I don't lie either... - 0% (0)
    * I uphold the 5th! (No comment) - 2% (1)

2. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

When I'm mad or agitated? I swear like a sailor. My dad was in the marines for ten years, so I blame him. Otherwise, I'm a very innocent non-potty mouthed person (well, I look that way, at least.) And I DON'T swear around my kids.

3. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I don't swear a lot when there's other people around, except when my favourite team is losing. I also seem to lose it sometimes when i'm playing a game on the PC and it doesn't go the way i want it to. At least that's what my neighbour tells me... she can hear it. :D

4. Shura Gems: 25/31

[​IMG] I'm a conscript in the army, in which the common lingo is a swear word in between every other normal word.

Alas, a foul mouth I have. :o ;)

5. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

i swear while playing games and studying. The more i study, the more i swear.

Me and my high school friends came to agree that English curses are quite polite and civilized while comparing with Chinese curses. In English, it is just a simple "f you", but in chinese it is something like "f your old mother smelly p***y". chinese don't feel satisfy unless they have cursed you 18 generations ancestors.

6. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Man i swear all the g*d d**n time!! It can't be helped, almost everyone in swden swears like a f*****g southpark character :D
    So almost nobody notices when i swear, but i try to keep it at bay by only swearing around friends and other people who swear...

7. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I swear all the bloody time.

8. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Well I guess by now most of you know how I stand on the word sh*t, so yes I swear a lot.

Especially on the soccer field or the tennis court when things go ugly, then it's cursing and hurling rackets against the walls.

9. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I don't swear too much...in English. Every time in Spanish class, I just lob a few Chinese curses at her, comparing her, her mother, and her ancestors to a cat's a**. But thats around it, and the only time I swear is when I'm really pissed.

10. Volsung Gems: 14/31

You should see the other young people here in Greece. In a small phrase you could hear at least 2 times the word "malakas" which means "a**hole". This word is going to be a formal word if we continue like this. :p

I do not swear a lot. Only when I'm pissed off or, sometimes, when I'm with my friends(those who don't get offended).

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Swearing doesn't worry me, though if overused it can be annoying.
    Anyhow, insulting peoples intelligence is more fun than just swearing at them.

12. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I'm Dutch, what do you expect?

I use f... and s... often, with an occasional 'god dammit'. S... was probably one of the first things I said (thanks dad). Whenever I am with elderly people I try not to swear, but sometimes, it is a pain in the ass, not to ****ing swear.

13. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Yep, I swear a lot. Besides, French curses are delightful (just listen to Merovingien in Reloaded).

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Ah, the beauty of Polish language :rolleyes: :D

Most of Polish swearing revolves around reproductive organs and activities. Thus we probably have twice as great a selection of fallic references as the English have. Then go adjectives and, most favourite but requiring a few brain cells, participles. I assure you there are many ways of describing various penile damage or deficiency. We have been a rather patriarchal society, so the supremacy of swearing related to male organs is not questionned, but since we have a great respect for women some of our infinite creativity has also been sacrificed to female organs (it's generally a greater offence for a male to be referred to as a female organ than a male one). As far as processes go, Polish swearing distinguishes various configurations from which not all are human and human, male and female, one with one etc if you catch my drift. Depending on the level of intelligence, creativity and memorising capacity of the particular swearing person relevant adjectives and participles apply. Also, quite a popular subject is the oldest profession in the world, not limited to females.

However, as far as my own preference goes, I don't include someone's family and don't swear around kids other than my potty-mouthed siblings or around ladies that don't swear themselves, maybe except some mild ones for comic effect ;) . What's more, I never swear in the presence of someone who I know could feel offended by swearing unless he himself is the target of the swearing and he bloody deserves it.

I also prefer largely vulgar swearing without resorting to vulgar vocabulary or swearwords - "You are a male reproductive organ with disturbed continuity of tissue" for example, or Monty Python style, or deeply sexual (or even not) reference to rare and funny animals, goblins, bugbears or pieces of inventory ;) That's the real fun. For example during one of my exams in May I excused myself for fairly informal clothing (it was a normal exam, but a surprise one in my case) and the doctor said he didn't care and I could even come naked since he wouldn't be interested anyway. I said I was truly relieved to hear so and produced a truly relieved sigh :D

Well, but I can still lare at someone for a few minutes with only 10% words not being vulgar and without much repetition, all within the boundaries of proper grammar and syntax of literary language :shake: But to hear me spit really ugly obscenities always takes a major event like traffic jam or a long queue :D

Which of course doesn't mean I've never spoken a real one in a formal situation, but that's a different story :rolleyes:

15. Volsung Gems: 14/31

Chevalier, Greek and Polish are the same, concerning swearing. :D Though, we don't have a wide variety of such words but we make many many combinations with the ones we have. :D

16. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Same with Chinese, I just learned in Cantonese another way to say b*****d, now I know 5!

17. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I swear a lot. But that's nothing unusual here. Many people rely on Italian, when "harder" curses are needed, in my region.

18. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Like Dragon's Jewel, I try to never swear around my son, and that's helping me swear less overall. I feel so uncreative when the best epithet I can come up with is "F**k you, a$$hole!"

But when I'm angry, creativity goes out the window. :(

19. Jarel Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Dear chevy, it seems that italian and polish swearing have a lot in common... :D
    With my deepest friends around I swear REALLY HARD about just everything (and they do the same), with no restrictions (not even our families, various gods and other human races) and with a continual creation of new original swearings, possibly with some taste for demential humor (of course, we do not have any prejudice about the subjects of swearing).
    With other people I contain a bit my need for swearing, expecially with kids (wich, with a great amonut of hypocrisy, I always teach not to swear).
    That's all swearing freaks!

20. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

I cuss like a sailor.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.