1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: DVDs and VCRs

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Shell, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Which do you have, and which do you think is better?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 15 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: DVDs and VCRs (15 votes.)

Do you have a DVD player and/or a VCR? (Choose 1)
    * I have a DVD player - 20% (3)
    * I have a VCR - 0% (0)
    * I have both - 80% (12)
    * I have neither - 0% (0)

Which is best in your opinion? (Choose 1)
    * DVD Power! - 60% (9)
    * VCRs Rule - 7% (1)
    * They're equally good - 33% (5)
    * They're both rubbish - 0% (0)

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    The second question isn't really fair. VCRs were great in their day but the quality of digital playback against the analog version can't be compared. Has anyone yet come up with a DVD-R for a set-top box? If not, again you're trying to compare unequal feature sets.

Personally, tho', for playback it's DVD and for recording it's TiVo. Hands down, TiVo is the best thing to happen to TV since TV was invented.

3. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I totally agree with Rally. VHS was superb in its time. It gave ease for recording, and was easy to watch. However, with the advancement of technology, you cant compare the latest advancements with those of yesteryear. It'd be like trying to compare a musket and an M16, or a ferrari F40 against an E-Type Jag. In their own time, they totally rocked, but old things will (nearly) always be inferior to the latest technological advancements.

4. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

What's TiVo?

Anyway we recently bought a DVD recorder and it's pretty handy and the quality doesn't decrease one bit.

5. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    TiVo is a DVR - Digital Video Recorder. Effectively it's a computer that records the incoming TV signal and plays it back. It's the thing that lets you pause a live broadcast. Also, it give HUGE flexibility in finding things to record. For example, if you wanted to get all movies with particular actor, all you have to do is enter the name and whenever that person shows up, it'll be recorded.

What it means in our house is that, no matter the day or hour, there's something available that we're actually interested in watching.

6. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

So... hello DVD goodbye VHS...

But I have to say, I will miss VHS more than ever... even more so then when audio tape cassetes went out of fashion, even though I still have a couple bouncing around (oh the shame)...

And don't you mean a musket with a PSG1? or a ferrari F40 against the F1 style Mercedes SLK?

Is tivo really worth it, or are there better options out there?

7. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I have a DVD burner. It's a Liteon 5001, which is actually just a laptop mainboard and an IDE drive. It's wonderful. I haven't used my VHS recorder/player in a long time. DVD+RW (and dual-layer DVD+RW) is the next generation. Blu-Ray after that, and soon.

Convert your VHS over to DVD, if you have the means. My 5001 disables Macrovision.

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Whoever voted that they are equally as good needs to get slapped! There is no way that a DVD player is equal to a crummy VCR! :bang:

The way better picture quality, the perfect sound, and the extra features are just three things that a VCR will never have.

Go DVDs! :rolling:

9. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

They're both equal, considering my DVD player is my computer, and I have to watch in my bedroom, where as movies can be watched on the VCR in the luxury of the living room.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.