1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: GOP Leadership in the US

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Mathetais, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Simple Poll here ... What issue would you like the new GOP-led Congress to take up first?

That will be the first question. The second question is, what are your political leanings. I'm not too savey on International Politics, so if I miss you, just post below.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 19 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: GOP Leadership in the US (19 votes.)

What issue would you like the new GOP-led Congress to take up first? (Choose 1)
    * Partial-birth Abortion - 11% (2)
    * Ban on Human Cloning - 11% (2)
    * Confirming Bush's Judges - 32% (6)
    * Pro-Marriage Welfare Reform - 0% (0)
    * Permanent Tax relief for families - 16% (3)
    * Repeal of the Death Tax - 32% (6)

What is your Political Leaning? (Choose 1)
    * Republican / Conservative / Right Wing - 32% (6)
    * Democratic / Liberal / Left Wing - 26% (5)
    * Independant - 42% (8)

2. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Is this poll only for Americans? Or are you assessing political leanings from all SP'ers? I didn't vote on the poll because I wasn't sure I wouldn't disrupt your sample group but I'm always glad to give my opinion. :p

My own political leanings: I'm a secular humanist libertarian, which I'm shocked- SHOCKED to see wasn't a category in your poll (just kidding! ;) ). This usually translates to left wing on social issues (bring on the gay marriages and legalised drugs!) and right-wing on economic issues (you want to regulate WHAT?!).

I thought the poll was heavily slanted toward Moral Majority issues- socially right-wing ones- which surprised me. Conservative parties are usually about smaller government, which didn't really seem to be on the poll at all. That's what I'd like to see the US, and every country, move towards. The only real exceptions were the tax ones, which would get my vote, because I froth at the mouth at the idea of tax, but I do want to point out one thing about the death tax. Americans are the most generous people in the world in terms of donations to charity. Maybe this is just intrinsic to the American character, but many analysts believe it's because Americans would rather give to charity before they die than have millions go to death taxes afterward. If you get rid of the death tax, you will very probably eliminate the incentive to give large sums to charity. Isn't this a bad thing- a very bad thing? Aren't the massive sums of dollars that go to charity so important that it's worth having one excessive tax?

3. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Sprite and all other non-USA type folk ... go ahead and vote. I'm curious about the general community.

Its no secret that I'm a little to the right of Gengis Kahn ... just wondering what the rest of humanity thinks (so I can rule them better!!!) j/k

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Gee, Sprite, are you my long-lost cross-border twin or something?!

The only reason I registered with one of the two major US political parties is so I could vote in the primary elections, and even then my vote is usually cast AGAINST the candidate I see as more dangerous to the life I want my son to have, rather than FOR anyone in particular.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No offence but what kind of silly meaningless and unimportant options did we get? First off none that isnt a republican rightwinger can have any view on those things as they all seemed pretty wacky to me. Nothing about poverty, nothing about human rights, nothing important at all.
    Who cares about cloning or not? What is a death tax? Abortion? I mean sheesh, again no offence but I am offended by some peoples priorities. All it was about was which far-right wing thing you like the most.

6. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

While the options were limited they weren't as trivial as you make them out to be joacqin.

The taxation questions are some of the most important questions any government can address. Since the U.S. has in place some non-permanent and gradual reductions the question of whether to make them permanent is crucial. It will affect everyone -- it is going to impact directly on the financial well being of Americans both rich and poor.

In case you really didn't know what the death tax is, that is the politicized name right wingers have dubbed the inheritance tax because they found out from polling data that Americans didn't like the sound of "death tax." The accuracy of such a name is debatable.

Abortion is a key issue as well in my opinion since Roe v Wade, contrary to popular opinion, isn't the relevant law anymore and abortion rights may well be rolled back. Particularly if......

the judicial appointments of Bush are taken care of in a manner he would like. The appointment of candidates to the bench is one of the most important thing any President can do.

Welfare reform directly impacts on poverty.

So, I think you underestimate the importance or breadth of some of the items mentioned. IT is a skewed list of course but then it is skewed to the right and since it is a question about what you would like to see the right do now that it has power it isn't that far off base. All my opinion of course.

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It was a pro-marriage wellfare reform, not a welfare reform. I take that means that if you are a good christian and marry you get extra perks as opposite to the heathens that live in sin. The tax relief question seem to be a reform that opposes any wellfare. I atleast take abortion for granted and dont even see that there is something to discuss. You didnt bring up cloning and that quite understandable as that atleast is a very minor question. I have no real view on the death tax or the judicial appointments except that I think thats a thing that already gives a president more power than what is needed and colours the justice system so it compares to a single presidents point of view.

8. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

I'm praying that they implement a flat tax. Right now some people (probably Bel & BTA ;) ) pay over 30% in taxes, while most others pay less than 10%. That means that the richest 1% of the country ends up paying 90% of the tax-bill.

I don't disagree that the rich should give more (since they have more) but why have a tiered tax-table. If everyone pays a flat 12-15% the federal budget won't be impacted too greatly, plus it will allow alot more money to saturate the economy and improve things on Wall Street.

This is what the Russians did post-communism, and its working great.

9. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Actually, the graduated tax table doesn't work quite that way. It's a common misconception. In actuality, BTA only has to pay 30% of the portion of his income that falls in that bracket. Say that the brackets are 10% for over $10,000 -- 20% for over $25,000 -- and 30% for over $50,000. No matter how much you make, the portion of your income that falls between $10,000 and $25,000 is taxed at 10%; if you make over $50,000 then only the portion over $50,000 is taxed at 30%. It's another common misconception that giving to charities can save you money. That's untrue, since falling to a lower tax bracket doesn't mean you pay lower percentage over the whole amount.

I'm getting less comprehensible as I go, so I'll shut up.

10. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    10% is going to impact a person that makes $10,000 far more than it will impact a person making $100,000. My income has been poverty level for years, and yet I pay 30% of my income in taxes. Needless to say, a flat rate tax sounds like a bad plan to me so far.

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Capstone, I'm not sure what you're talking about. The tax tables indicate how much tax you pay as a dollar amount for your adjusted gross income. If you take that amount and divide it by your income, you get the percentage.

Stefanina - A flat tax of 10% or 15% sounds worse than the 30% you're currently paying? The thing about the rich is that they find all kinds of ways to shelter their money from the tax man. If you eliminate all the exceptions and everyone pays the same percentage, the rich will likely be paying more than they do now.

[ December 05, 2002, 18:13: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

12. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

God Bless you BTA ... always a voice of reason ;)
    :good:

13. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    BTA, under the conditions you set forth the flat tax sounds good, but I seriously doubt that the merican political reality will ever allow those conditions to be met.

14. Laches Gems: 19/31

Actually BTA, Capstone is spot on in trying to describe how a graduated income tax works.

Hypothetically, let's say a tax strucure is such that:

0-10,000 0%
    10k - 20k 10%
    20k - 30k 20%
    30k - 40k 30%

Now, suppose you make $32,000. What Capstone was getting at is that you don't pay 30% of $32,000. Instead, you pay 0% on the first 10k, then 10% on the next 10k, then 20% on the next 10k, and then 30% on the next 2,000.

So, what this means then is that the idea that the incentive to donate to charity under the current tax structure doesn't operate like many think. Take the person making 32,000. If she donates 2,001 some people think this drops her to a lower tax bracket and she will only pay 20% on her total gross income. In reality though, the savings aren't that great because she would have been paying a lower amount on the income that falls within the lower tax brackets anyways. She is in short giving away 2,001 instead of paying 30% tax on 2,000.

That is what Cap is driving at.

Also, I am certain that a number of the proposed flat tax schemes would not result in the rich paying more. Now, it turns on how you define "rich" of course but most of America's "rich" are small business owners or professionals and they do not shelter their income in the way described. I'm talking about people with incomes from 1 mil. to a few million. I'm not sure but I seem to recall prior to the most recent cuts the highest bracket was something like 38% but under a falt tax of 15% they would be much better off.

I also think people vastly overstate the way the rich "shelter" or use "tax loopholes" to pay less taxes.

Stef, if your income is at poverty levels you don't pay 30% of your income in federal income taxes. If you do, something ADR (ain't doing right) and you are entitled to a return from the Federal gov and should seek a free tax clinic at a local law school to seek help. Maybe you mean 30% taking into account all of your taxes, state and federal?

15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Oh, right, he's talking about the rate schedule rather than the actual overall rate you pay.

I of course can't say for certain that the rich would pay more with a flat tax, but it so happens that when marginal tax rates decreased, the rich ended up paying a higher percentage of total tax. This is because they increased they're taxable income by more than the cut in rates.

The same could be true if a flat tax is implemented. If people with money to throw around don't have to worry about HOW they throw that money around, they can concentrate more on how to increase their wealth rather than how to limit their tax liability.

16. Laches Gems: 19/31

Oh, I should've said earlier, that I felt certain under the major proposed flat taxes like Forbes' the rich would be better off. Can't say that about all proposals obviously since I haven't seen them or seen analysis of them.

Edited to also say I'm not necessarily saying a flat tax would be a bad thing, just that I think it would likely reduce the tax burden on the rich. The benefit to them would be greater than the benefit to middle and lower classes imo.

[ December 06, 2002, 00:43: Message edited by: Laches ]

17. Viking Gems: 19/31

How come the western country, other than tax-havens, which pay the least tax are more obsessed with it than most others? I suppose it all depends what you get back from the system but still.

It is incomrehensible that partial abortion has ever been allowed, so sure go ahead legislate against something that would never have been allowed in most other countries.

Death tax? Used to be "death duty" here, and it's inherently (no pun intended) unfair in itself. Why should you tax again on monies which have already been fully taxed? Very much against that one for those reasons.

Human cloning? Uncomfortable, but could have uses if regulated. Copying humans, no, but research yes.

The others are not my priorities since I can only imagine a Bush lead tax reform to benefit those who don't need it at the expense of those who cannot afford it. Pro marriage incentives? WHY? What makes a married couple more worthy of tax reliefs than two individuals cohabiting? Frankly, nothing.

Finally the judges. Life time appointments are a good idea. Life time political appointments are not. Judges should be in place to interpret the law and make judgements based on justice as defined by the law, not based on political pursuation.

18. Laches Gems: 19/31

The inheritance tax/death tax was born in the U.S. for some fairly reasonable concerns. The idea was that allowing the concentration of wealth into one family might result in too much power becoming distributed in one family thereby allowing that family to assume a role as royalty in a nation which rejected that concept. Now, the inheritance tax was born at a time in the U.S. where that was a real possibility but I think it is safe to say that possibility no longer really exists because of the size the U.S. has grown to.

The other justification for the inheritance tax is that we are a nation of individualism and that meritocracy should be encouraged.

I'd personally reduce it certainly and I'm up in the air about whether it should be ended.

19. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Um, this will probably sound dumb, but whats GOP?

20. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Americans, ever so proud of being the middle class nation, had to do something to keep it that way. Somehow I don't think dragging the rich down to the middle class level was meant to be part of the American dream. But I suppose rags-to-riches is easier if "rich" means ten million rather than a billion.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.