1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Have you read Dune?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by chevalier, Nov 5, 2005.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Just as the topic says. If you'd like to discuss Dune, feel free to, but I'm mostly interested in finding out just what the poll asks.

Myself, I've read them all plus two of what Herbert's son wrote (House Harkonnen and House Atreides). I loved the computer games they made of it and the movies, although I'd really rather they had made it by the book and it was the biggest flaw that they didn't. I'd love to see a big multi-level multiplayer strategy game in the Dune universe, with High Houses and Landsraad and everything. Not like I wouldn't love to play a Dune RPG one day.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 41 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Have you read Dune? (41 votes.)

Have you read Dune? (Choose 1)
    * Yes, I have read Dune - 15% (6)
    * Yes, and even some of the sequels (Dune Messiah, Children of Dune etc) - 63% (26)
    * No, I haven't - 22% (9)

2. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

My friends have been telling me to read it for years. I actually bought it yesterday, although I am going to read my way through Rama: Revealed before I start it.

3. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I've read Dune, Dune Messiah, and House Harkonnen. I enjoyed all three, and i keep meaning to look out for House Atredies.

The first Dune game I ever played was Dune 2, and it was one of my favourite games for months :)
    After finding this thread, I feel like re-reading the original Dune (again!)

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Er...I read the first forty pages. Does that count?

5. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I have read the entire series :p

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Had my copy of them for quite some time now, but somehow I haven't got around reading them just yet. Really should, but it's always about the matter of sparking the interest. :hmm:

7. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I have read Dune and Dune Messiah. The first one was great but the second was a lot worse and from what I've heard it just gets worse after that so I gave up with the series then.

8. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I've read Dune, but not any of the others.

9. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The only one I haven't read is House Harkonnen, but like Undertaker, I read Herbert's 9 books and the first one by his son. I didn't even realize there were games based on Dune. I've seen 3 of the movies and I like Lynch's version best. :nuts:

10. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I've read Dune through to God Emperor several times Chaprt House and Heretics only once I was losing interest by that stage

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

how many books are in the series? if there aren't too many i may consider it. never read it.

12. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

IIRC Frank Herbert wrote 9 Dune series books and the last was Chaprt House.

13. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Nope not nine, only six. They're, in order:
    Dune
    Dune Messiah
    Children of Dune
    God Emperor of Dune
    Heretics of Dune
    Chapterhouse: Dune

Then Brian Herbert wrote 4 others (until now) with Kevin J. Anderson:
    House Atreides
    House Harkonnen
    House Corrino
    The Butlerian Jihad

The only one I haven't read from this bunch is The Butlerian Jihad, and considering how dreadful the previous three were, I probably never will. The writing's terrible, the story is a poor rehash of existing plot threads from the original series, and charaterization is ridiculously childish.

I've also seen Lynch's movie, and the first mini-series (Dune). I like the Lynch movie a lot, but the mini-series is not bad either. I've also played Dune, Dune 2, Dune 2000, and Emperor: Battle for Dune. The first 2 are the only ones worth mentionning really, and both are excellent (Dune 2 was in a way the father of the RTS genre)

The original series by Frank Herbert is brilliant all the way through, IMO. The first one's the best, but I like all the others, and each one has a flavor of its own. The ecological theme is continusouly woven throughout the whole series, and really taken to its logical extreme in the last book. It's the best science-fiction series I've read.

14. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Brian Herbert and Kevin J. anderson have writen more, they have finished there legends of Dune triology, which contains The Butlerian Jihad, The machine crusade, the battle of Corrin. And they also mafe a guide to the dune universe(the name escapes me).

I have read up until children of dune and the 3 legends of dune books, played the games.
    I Own both the movie and the miniserie over dune, on dvd. In my oppinion david lynch movie is crap, he changed a lot of the story and his changes are wierd and really bad, the mini serie is way better, its 4hour long with really god actors and follows the book very good. i have also seen the miniserie over messiah+children of dune, which is just as great, sadly haven't been able to get it on dvd.

15. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I've read up to Children of Dune, but I just bought God Emperor yesterday and I'll be starting to read it soon enough.

I'm looking forward to the read.

16. Incarnate Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I have read the entire series but Morgoroth is corect the final books are not that great :(

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have only read Dune. It was OK, but not interesting enough for me to bother reading the sequels.

18. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I've read "Dune" twice. It's a classic. I haven't read any of the others, but at one time or another I probably will...

19. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've read all of the Dune books by Frank Herbert -- I just can't get myself to read any of the books written by Brian.

20. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    One word. Don't.
    Short and to the point :)

This is a good approximation to my thoughts as I was reading the "House whatever" trilogy (some may find this comic offensive. You've been warned)

Being the son of a writer, makes a writer not.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.