1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: How many computers?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kitrax, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    So, I was just wondering how many computers you have at home. They don't need to be yours...they could belong to your mom, dad, brother, sister...or the family pet for that matter.

When I was living with my parents, there was the "family" computer, which was technically my dad's, my brother’s laptop, my cousin’s old dinosaur of a PC, and then my bad ass laptop. None of them were ever hooked up to a LAN...basically because my dad was too cheap to buy any equipment, and no one trusted my brother.

Now that I'm out on my own, I only have my laptop and two other computers that are in pieces...and currently don't work, due to a lack of components...but don't vote for computers that are like that!!!

How about you? :rolling:

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 38 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: How many computers? (38 votes.)

How many computers are at your home? (Choose 1)
    * None! I'm on someone else's computer... - 3% (1)
    * 1 - One's enough for me/us. - 16% (6)
    * 2 - One for me, one for "them". - 18% (7)
    * 3 - I got one, so they had too to. - 16% (6)
    * 4 - <insert witty comment here> - 18% (7)
    * 5 or more - I'm rich, so I buy new computers at random! - 29% (11)

Are they conected together through a Local Area Network (LAN)? (Choose 1)
    * Yes, all of them are connected. - 39% (15)
    * Yes, but only some of them. - 32% (12)
    * No, none of them are connected? - 26% (10)
    * What's a LAN again? / Just the results for me. - 3% (1)

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I have two here - usually. I have my desktop and I normally bring my laptop home from work each night.

I do have my home-office set-up with a LAN so that I can share my internet connection and printer and occassionally move some files back and forth.

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    7, two for me, two for my dad and one for my brother, the other two are just collecting dust at the attic

4. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

4, two laptops and two big 'ins. One of the big 'ins is quite old though.

5. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

4 here, one for each person living in the house.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have three. I use a computer until it's so old that it won't do everything I want any more, and by that time things have changed so much that I buy a whole new computer as a replacement. But, since the old computer is still working, I just replace the OS with Linux and keep it.

First: Pentium 120 Mhz
    Second: Pentium III 500 Mhz
    Third: Pentium 4 1.8 Ghz

7. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

We both have company laptops, I then have an Athlon 1Ghz for games, + an old pentium 400Mhz + a very old pentium 120mhz.

Previous flat in London, between the five of us we had the server, 5 main computers attached to the server, probably another 4 older computers, 3+ games consoles. I think we also had more TV's than we did people.

8. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    We have 4 at the moment, two desk systems and two portable, all on a wireless LAN. We plan to build a new dedicated server, then upgrade my desk machine and turn my current box into the kids' computer, but who knows when that will happen? It's not high on our prioritized list of household projects.

Velcro also collects dead machines, with plans to use them for parts. Sometimes it feels like our basement is turning into "Velcro's home for wayward silicon." :lol:

9. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    RIght now, I have mine and my mom's, but mom wans her back. I used to have a pwetty laptop, but it broke. :(

Mom also sold my first PC (Didn't even ask my permission!) so I couldn't say 4 :(

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I prefer quality over quantity, so I have only one computer. ;)

Besides, why would anyone want to have several of them when one does the needed jobs well enough? I can understand if there needs to be 1 comp/person, but anything more seems like waste of money. What; one for each hand and toe?

11. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I have 2 working, connected machines (mine! :p )(P2 and P4), and then there's ten or more machines lying around, including my FreeBSD box (missing a I/O card atm)(that's it for my machines.), one machine which could be connected right away were i have spare ethernet cable, 2-3 Pentiums, and lots of 486's. Not all of them have a hard drive at the moment though. Finding HDD's under 400mb is kinda hard. :p

12. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

In the house we have my self-built speed demon with the Athlon 64-bit 3400+, a gig of RAM and an overclocked X800 Pro, but from there it gets worse. There's a compaq laptop with a mobile Athlon 2000+, and 512 MB RAM, and another laptop, which I'm actually using right now. It has a pentium 2 and some some other crappy parts. The other comp I have is a desktop with an Athlon XP 2000+, a gig of RAM that just died, and a GeForce 3.

13. Nightal Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

We've got 6 computers,

One is mine, an Pentium 3,

the others are of my roommates;

2 Laptops, 1 Apple, 2 other pentium 3's one with 2 monitors...

The non laptop windows computers are connected with a LAN

14. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    We have two - a 4 year old AMD 900 Mhz, and a brand new AMD 64 3400+. We have a router for sharing internet, but that's about it.

15. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    @Nightal, you let a roomate get an apple? How could you?!?!? Haven't you heard the old saying, "Friends don't let friends buy Mac-in-the-trash." :rolling:

16. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Let's see... there are 2 old-ish ones downstairs, 3 new-ish ones and an old Apple ][ upstairs. So that makes 6. One of the ones downstairs is not networked, and of course the Apple ][ isn't. The other four are. No laptops at all though.

17. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

We've got the family comp (the comp I learned to hate); my dad's got a laptop; my brother has a pc and a laptop; i have my main pc, a laptop, a pentium 100 pc, and an old S2 33/486 pc. Mmm good times playing castle of the winds on that thing... memories...

the ones that are able are networked via router. unfortunatly, the older ones dont do networking very well.

As one can imagine, i have a very big desk :)

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Man, I din't realise there was so much wealth amongst SP members. How can you guys all afford to have so many PCs?! We have one and feel lucky to be able to afford that.

Seeing as you guys all have so much cash to spend on multiple PCs, Taluntain should have no trouble rustling up donations to keep SP running!

19. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

No kidding; back home we've got three, count 'em, three computers, and one of those doesn't even work. There's my once uber gaming rig (desperately needs upgrading over Christmas break), my parents "Family" comp, and the aforementioned one that doesn't work for my younger bros. The last ones from like '95 or something. Truly ancient, practically steam powered.

20. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Bah. 1995 isn't 'ancient' or 'steam-powered'! Plenty of us here have dusty relics dating from long before that.....

Case in point: From 1981, my Commodore Vic-20 Colour Computer (5k of RAM, plugged into the TV, loaded up most games from a cassette deck, took about 45 minutes to load up a basic text-based adventure game). Some games were so basic that 'file transfer' consisted of typing in the whole source code of a game (all of 2 pages of A4) published in a magazine.

Those were the days..........

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.