1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: I Voted For Candidate X Because...

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I realize that there are a high percentage of people who are not U.S. citizens on this board. If you are one of these people, where ever I say, "I voted for this canidate" substitute "I would have voted for this canidate but I couldn't by dint of not being a U.S. citizen." Similarly if you are under 18, do the same thing except say, "by dint of not being of legal age to vote."

[ November 15, 2004, 22:24: Message edited by: Beren ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 41 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: I Voted For Canidate X Because... (41 votes.)

I Voted For Kerry Because... (Choose 1)
    * I agreed whole heartily with most/all his views and ideas. - 10% (4)
    * I disliked Bush so much, I would have voted for anyone the Democrats nominated. - 61% (25)
    * I did not/would not vote for Kerry. - 29% (12)

I Voted For Bush Because... (Choose 1)
    * I agreed whole heartily with most/all his views and ideas. - 10% (4)
    * I disliked Kerry so much, that Bush was the only option remaining with a chance to win. - 12% (5)
    * I did not/would not vote for Bush. - 78% (32)

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Put me squarely in the "anyone but Bush" camp.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

This poll is missing an option for me to answer, namely:

"Despite the fun of the debates here and the excitement of the election day vote count itself, I didn't really mind which of the two won because I can't see how either of them will make much difference to my daily life. I would have voted for a minor candidate as part of chipping away at the two party system."

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Put me in the camp of people who don't care who's in the white House, because it's all the same anyway.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am not sure anymore, I think Bush is horribly bad for the US and may very well be both the first and second step towards an totalitarian America. Even not considering that I think the US is much worse off with Bush as president.

What I cant decide on is whether this is a good thing or not. I see the current world situation with supreme US hegemony as very dangerous. What if some true fascist loonie gets into power in the US, what then? Who will stand against the US then? Germany had many equals to stand against them when they went nazi, who will stand against the US if that would come to pass? During Bush's reign the US has weakened their own power, completely annihiliated their credibility which is a great source of power and alienated many traditional allies, not all but a few. Also the actions of the Bush regime has lead the governments in many other countries to look at their own house and consolidate their power. I think Bush's actions the last years have made for the EU than any amount of propaganda from Brussels. In Asia many of the smaller countries are now looking to China as main partner instead of the US.

My dilemma is thus, wanting to have Bush in the white house and erode US power and hope he or his heir dont turn the world into nuclear waste or wanting for the US to change their course which would strengthen their hegemony and leave the world naked for a future less benevolent USA.

I dont know really, but for all the Americans I know of all colours and all the Americans I dont know of which 48% didnt fall for the rhetorics of early 20th century I would probably want anyone but Bush.

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Me too. I think you will find that most Canadians fall into that category.

Not that I think we really have anything to worry about but the "hey, we have a fair amount of oil, no military and a completely irrational war monger sitting right next to us" factor plays in there a little.

7. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Basically, anybody but Bush. But the fact of the matter is, Kerry does indeed have a solid record(Much superior to Bush's when he entered office), including doggedly taking down the BCC bank and fiscal discipline. It's still pretty depressing that he lost.

8. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Anybody But Bush.

That said, I have a limited knowledge of domestic policy, but I'd still have voted for Kerry if I wasn't half a world away. He at least seems willing to consider an alternative to the assumed path of Divine Providence (and came off as weak/a flip-flopper for it), and reasoned debate is the heart of democracy, as far as I'm concerned.

@ joacqin: I see some disturbing parallels between the current regime and others which are far more totalitarian (past and present). Hack or Darkwolf will probably jump on this, but powers granted are not easily ceded, nor are freedoms surrendered returned or even asked for so long as the state of emergency lasts. USA 2004 isn't 1984, but four years ago, such change would have been unthinkable. To some, it is inevitable; for others, it is unbelievable.

9. Ankiseth Vanir Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Anyone but Bush.

And when I say "anyone but Bush," I literally mean he is the absolute worst choice for President you could possibly pick. You must be saying to yourself, Ankiseth, but what about Ann Coulter or Bill O'Reilly or some other complete nut job? People like that could never get anything done, moderate and liberal republicans in Congress would not give them a free pass. George Bush is the perfect blend of incompetence and political clout. He has just enough pull and just enough stupidity to do serious damage to the country (such as wasting $120+ billion on a pointless war).

10. Bion Gems: 21/31

I voted for Kerry, and I think the Bush administration won the election by concealing their incompetence under the flag (and AV, I think the Iraq figures are currently $225+ billion), but I don't see Bush as so far out of line in terms of American history, nor do I see him as leading America to totalitarianism, etc. Consider this 1920 quote (lifted from Andrew Sullivan):

BTW, it's not like other countries are immune to this sort of thing as well: when I lived in Toronto, they had an ex-matress salesman by the name of Mel Lastman who was a real piece of work...

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    You know, this is really sad. At the time I am writing this post, 24 people have voted on this poll, and of them only 1 said that they voted for a canidate because they agreed with him (and that's the two questions combined). Logically, that means that the other 23 people would have gone to the polls with the intent of voting AGAINST someone more than the idea of voting FOR someone.

It's a truly sorry state of affairs that it has got to this point. Why can we not find a single canidate to inspire us? I'm not talking about truly inspiring like Kennedy of the 60s. I'm talking even quasi-inspiring like Reagan was for the Republicans in the 80s or Clinton was for the Democrats in the 90s.

(You know, it's strange - for how different Reagan and Clinton were they both were popular because the nation witnessed never-before seen prosperity during their presidencies. Granted, the Bushies that followed each of them caught the recessions that some of their policies undoubtedly caused, but the Reagan years of the 80s and the Clinton years of the 90s will always be remembered as very prosperous times.)

12. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

We have this american journalist here in old Germany, a guest in many a political discussion about the US. If memory serves his name is Don Jordan. Quite the agitator. He never fails to enrage (and thereby entertain) the audience.

Although he voted for Kerry his sentiment concerning Bush is: A blessing for the foreign affairs of the US, the world at large respectively but an utter disaster for his nation in matters of internal policies. Pretty much like Reagan has been in his time.
    A blessing in the longterm sense. His war on Iraq might indeed trigger a change for the better in the arabian nations - or so he thinks. A disaster because of an enormous budget deficit, as well as his affiliation to the newborn christians, who he calls the "Taliban of the US", a great threat in his opinion.

Anyhow, Jordan might be right in his assumption that Bush is good for the world... in a different way, however. Good in the sense that joacqin pointed out. The dominating ruthlessness of the current US administration may lead other nations to seek their own strength in order to counter the US and it's tendencies as a predatory hegemon in the future. Bush may very well help Europe unite, when he would rather see us divided.

As for the disaster: That is really not our business, as long as we are not affected by it economically, or even worse, confronted in a military conflict.

So, I should be all for Bush, but I am not. Too many variables, too many risks. I dont want to have the EU go against the US, acting once again as a superpower, sending european soldiers to die on other continents. I would prefer to see a benevolent US keeping the world at bay while Europe uses it's soft power to bring about change. And, perhaps, serve as a political corrective to the US - to balance it out here and there.
    Sadly, things never turn out as I feel they should.
    Because of that my vote would have gone to Kerry, or whoever opposed Bush.

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In my opinion that is how a reasonable intelligent person have to vote. A person living in the real world ought to have understood that there isnt any politician who wants what is best for him but that there are plenty of politicians who really dont want what is best for him. Thus an intelligent realistic person doesnt vote for someone but against what is perceieved to be the greater evil. Seeing mindless fans of politicians makes me sick and reminds of the personal cults of the authoritarian states. All politicians are scumbags, they have to, otherwise they would never have reached that far and no decent person would be willing to do all the things nescessary to reach the top.

I tend to vote social democratic in both Swedish and EU elections not because I am a great fan of the party but because on the left wing the other parties are complete nutcases and even if there are some attractive parties on the right wing they ally themselves with the conservatives and conservatives in my opinion must never ever have any power whatsoever in any civilized country.

[ November 10, 2004, 16:05: Message edited by: joacqin ]

14. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    @Aldeth: I was thinking of running a similar poll, with a slightly more generic approach; basically, "I voted for Candidate and X and feel good about it" vs. "I voted for Candidate X but have many reservations." I shouldn't be surprised that you beat me to it. :) In any case, I'd love to see this kind of statistic collected on a national level. Sure, there SEEMS to be a wide polarization in voter opinion this year, but might we not find that the TRUE majority of Americans are equally disgusted with having to choose between two such horrendous choices?

Take THAT as your mandate, Mr. President.

@Harbourboy: :lol: I agree with you almost entirely, except for the fact that if Bush manages to push through his repressively conservative social policies, he will have a significant long-term impact on my daily life, and that of my sons. :(

On a brighter note, the likely Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee is a moderate Republican (yes, there are a few, and yes he is a Pennsylvanian who won my support!) who's already warned the President to not try to overload the courts with a bunch of anti-choice extremists. There is some hope.

15. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

I think that in this election the majority of the llberal voters in the US (as well as the majority of foreigners) found themselves in the same position with the french left few years ago, when the french leftist had to vote for Chirac, a conservative politician, in order to prevent Lepen's victory.

16. Bion Gems: 21/31

in the pre-election episode of South Park, the kids had to vote between a "giant douche" and a "turd sandwich" for their next school mascot.

But I'm still convinced that Kerry wasn't just an ABB non-choice: I think he would have been sensible, and critically, would have taken on advisors that knew a thing or two about policy.

17. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I didn't see very many differences between the two. Both men basically stood for the same things in the long run -- they just disagreed with how to get there. The president is only a third of the leadership equation in the United States -- not much would have changed either way the vote went. Americans want a strong leader as president and as vice president. Quail lost the election for the senior Bush, Edwards did not help the Kerry ticket.

As far as history:
    Kennedy didn't win by a landslide, he was not THAT inspiring during his campaign.
    Reagan was scary. Sure he brought the Soviet Union to its knees, but we never knew when a missile might be incoming.
    Clinton was for whatever the current poll said to be for -- very little true leadership there. He had many opportunities to make a difference and instead decided to stain a dress....

Republican: McCain in 2008.
    Democrat: ??? I would say Hilary, but she really messed up health care reform when she had the chance.....

18. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Sorry Bruno, but I disagree with the last part of your post. McCain has 0 chance, and Hillary is in unless the Clintons have lost their stranglehold on the Democratic Party.

The funny thing is, by the time 2008 gets here, I bet you that most of the people on the board will not favor her in the primaries.

19. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Kerry didn't really impress me much, from what I managed to see of the electoral campaign of both candidates.

However...after witnessing the global disaster that is George W Bush, I would vote for Homer Simpson if it meant Bush getting out of power. :roll:

20. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I agree Darkwolk, McCain has been too honest and won't use a negative campaign (which is why Bush beat him in 2000). But Hilary's only positive point is she stood by a womanizing husband (for her own gain) -- I hope someone can point that out in the next few years.

Faraaz, I sympathize with many of the issues you have expresses, but Bush is not a disaster in the minds of most Americans. He fought back when we were attacked (it may not have been the exact correct move) and most Americans agreed with the attack on the Taliban and continue to support the extermination of al Qaeda. The fighting in Iraq has the country polarized, but few were against taking the war to Afganistan.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.