1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: It's what's for dinner!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by kuemper, Apr 28, 2007.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] I about lost it tonight. The in laws made some kind of flank steak/roast for dinner, which was black on the outside and bleeding on the inside. :sick:

I like my steak (and any meat) extremely, super-dee-dooperly well done.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 42 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: It's what's for dinner! (42 votes.)

How do you like your steak cooked? (Choose 1)
    * Burnt - 5% (2)
    * Well done - 12% (5)
    * Medium-well done - 7% (3)
    * Medium - 10% (4)
    * Medium-rare - 36% (15)
    * Rare - 7% (3)
    * Seared for flavor - 2% (1)
    * Mooing - what is this thing you call "cooking"? o_O - 12% (5)
    * Veggies ftw! - 2% (1)
    * This is what I'm wasting my internet on? - 7% (3)

2. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Seared for flavor.

Fowl should be well done but moist, also pork. Lamb/mutton/veal medium.

3. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Well done.

I'm very careful about what I eat. I don't like it pink, but I don't like it when it turns dry and stringy either. I'm a very picky eater haha.

4. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Well, kinda well-done - no pink for me. But at the same time, I kinda like a tender piece of meat that you can cut with a table knife. ;)

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I'm wasting time, so that would explain my vote...

But anyway, btween medium and medium-rare. :yum:

6. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I like mine medium. Medium is the perfect balance between taste and texture, IMO.

Damn, you've motivated me to go to the grocery stores and get a few of them to eat...

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It's deja vu all over again???

With what I saw tonight, I just wondered why did they bother to cook it all? It's not like were Neanderthals and have to worry about some sabre-toothed beastie eating us for dinner if we stop to light a fire. Here's a picture to give you an idea of what I'm talking about, except make the inside dripping with blood and, well, raw.

It began with a childhood trauma some 25 years ago. My family was BBQing hot dogs and hamburgers. I wanted a burger and took a big bite out of it. It was raw in the middle. Yucky.

@Nakia - I would still have a meal at your house if we ever met, but it will be pasta. ;)

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Burnt. I love that taste. Can't stand undercooked meat. Makes me feel queasy just looking at it,

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Medium-rare is what I will ask for when ordering a steak in a restaurant, but I'm not picky, so I'll enjoy it whatever way it comes to me.

For a prime rib though, I like a nice crust on the outside but rare on the inside and a nice horseradish sauce :)

10. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    Medium rare for me. Medium will do too. Well done steak is a crime. Might as well eat my shoes.

11. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Medium rare. I like my steak to bleed.

12. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Medium rare - I like it nice and pink in the middle.

13. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Properly cooked. I can't be doing with uncooked stuff. Besides, can't you get food poisoning and things from undercooked meat?

14. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

Well done all the way.

Edit: every time I have read the title of this thread today, I always think of Fat Bastard in the second Austin Powers movie.

[ April 28, 2007, 11:52: Message edited by: TrueBlueAussie ]

15. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

@Shell
    You can get food poisoning from undercooked meat however. If you heat the meat to about 120 degrees it will be fine to eat. Bird is an entirely different meat however. It must be cooked all the way through.

I like my steaks Rare to Medium Rare .

16. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Veal should be medium-rare. All other meat must be well done.

17. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31

@Shell
    I think you can get tapeworms from pork if it isn't cooked properly. Think there was also an episode of House about that. -.-'''

18. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Moo. I prefer black & blue or "Pittsburgh" style, which is pretty much just seared for flavor.

I don't worry too much about food poisoning. The only time I've dealt with food poisoning was from fully cooked chicken that had been improperly handled.

I cannot stand overcooked beef. The only beef I eat well done is ground beef if I haven't ground it myself.

19. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Moo, I like my steak as cut off its horns, wipe its arse, show it a match and stick it on a plate, we simply call it Blue

And I will send it back if overcooked.

20. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

@Arahar - one-hundred-twenty degrees?!? Remind me not to let you cook for me!

Anyone with ANY experience in working in a public or commercial kitchen will know cooking anything only to 120deg. is wasting heat, breeding bacteria, and getting in trouble with the Health Department.

Ar, your own USDA recommends
    Burgers or other ground beef foods? No leeway - 160 °F or higher. PERIOD.

Oh...and this is internal temperature we're talking about here.

Anyways, if you've got Acrobat Reader, check a .pdf of a fridge magnet they put out here.

Poultry does require a higher temperature (185 °F) to cook safely. I think this is due to the bacteria that likes to breed in bird flesh is somewhat more resilient than that which makes home in cows and pigs...

But one-hundred-twenty degrees? That's still fully within the 'prime growth' temperature range for any of these bacteria strains:

(from the Wiki page on "Cooking")

'Keep it over 140 or under 40' is the rule in my kitchens, and if you have to go from one to the other, do it as quickly as possible. You cook to 120, and I'll show you the door before we get closed down by the health inspector.

@DS - :) A little hyperbole is always amusing! Even though I disagree with your choice, I'd definitely serve you a blue-rare steak...along with an understanding that any subsequent discomfort or illness was not the fault of my restaurant. ;)
    I first found that 'class' of doneness over here , although the table feels a little biased - I wouldn't call 115-120 "cold." :rolleyes:

[ April 28, 2007, 17:48: Message edited by: jaded empath ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.