1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Land line or cell phone?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kitrax, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, so I was having a chat with my buddy on how to save him some money on his monthly bills, and I suggested that he drop his land line and use his cell phone for all calls. He does have a family plan with his wife that has 3000 minutes...

So I got to thinking, I wonder what all you SPers have.

Personally, I haven't had a land line since I moved out. I think that land lines are horribly overpriced and over taxed. $25 plus $11.50 in tax a month for basic service with Caller ID and call Waiting?!?! That's insane!

I pay $50 a month for two lines, that have unlimited mobile to mobile minutes, caller ID, call waiting, no roaming charges, no long distance charges, all the standard features of a cell phone, and way better customer service than what Qwest (the only land line company in Utah) offers.

So, how about you? :rolling:

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 17 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Land line or cell phone? (17 votes.)

Land line or cell phone? (Choose 1)
    * I have/use a land line only. - 0% (0)
    * I have/use a cell phone only. - 29% (5)
    * I have/use both.. - 71% (12)
    * I have neither. - 0% (0)
    * Just the results for me. - 0% (0)

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

My brother and I have switched to cellphones aeons ago, and have never looked back. Passing a phone around annoys the hell out of me, so we both have our phones. I use it so little that prepaid was the way to go for me.

Ironically, my brother wants to drop GSM and get an iDEN. I might follow shortly enough.

To wrap-up, it basically depends on one's needs.

Qwest? For the cellphone part they're a MVNO on Sprint's network, I wouldn't even bat an eyelash out in surprise to learn that they use Sprint's infrastructure for landlines.

[ April 11, 2006, 05:55: Message edited by: Disciple of The Watch ]

3. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I have both, only due to the fact that we get really crappy cell service at home, other wise I would drop that land line in a heart beat.

4. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I have both only because I have to have a landline to have broadband

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Until someone comes up with more evidence that cellphones don't fry your brain and give you tumours, I'll stick with my landline and keep cellphone use to a minimum (i.e. only when I'm out and REALLY need to be contacted).

6. Disciple of The Watch

That's weird. I have DSL and no landline, for a little additional fee, my ISP offers a "dry line", as they call it. Both my bro and I are on cellphones and also have broadband.

Have you ever heard of the thing they call a "headset", Caveboy? Plug that in your phone and you can call without holding the phone to your ear.

7. Kitrax

Media:
    You need to check with your provider. I had a DSL 'Standalone' account that costs $5 more a month.

I saw a report on my work's 'info line' that the FDA has found no evidence that *modern* cell phones cause any helth issues. So your dino-phone that you're refusing to let go of might be causing something... :eek: And as DotW mentioned, a headset works wonders. :rolling:

8. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

I use both, but my line is only $US 14.95 a month, that gives me unlimited local and long distant, plus 12 features.

The cell line I actually only use either for emergency purposes or some text msg, no more.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  9. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

My wife and I have one cell phone as of now. We are planning on adding another line in may. Another way to save money is not having cable or standard cable. Go with standard broadcasting cable. If you friend is saying he needs a landline for internet, he should call verizon to find out if they offer dry loop internet in his area. That is what I have and for $20 it is fairly fast.

10. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I can't remember the last time i used my land-line phone. I use my mobile even when I'm at home.

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Let's see here:

- Fiber Optic Land Line (for Internet)
    - VoIP
    - Standard Land line
    - Blackberry
    - Cell Phone

12. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Cell phone exclusively for me; no need for anything else, and I donpt use the damn thing much anyway.

13. Disciple of The Watch

Oh, yeah, a Blackberry, I have one of those too. I need to get a new charger, though.

14. Kitrax

Media:
    @Rastor: why do you need a standard land line if you have a fiber optic line and a VoIP service? :skeptic: Also, you blackberry should replace your cellphone... You really need to downsize. Having two of everything makes for too many bills. :rolling:

15. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

We do need land line if we want DSL and Digital television; we have free calls to the whole country but as Kitrax said, we have to pay things that we ever used like Caller ID and call Waiting and another things I can't remember but that we HAVE to pay because it is in the 'package'...
    Of course we have cellphone line too, is very cheap and there are lots of offers like family plans and all that stuff that cost almost nothing.

16. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Because neither works if the power goes out.

17. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    We have both but generally just use the mobile for texting and recieveing calls. Obviously we have to take it with us when Jack's at school incase there's an emergency, but otherwise it just sits in the charger. Calls are so cheap on the landline that it's just silly to use the mobile if you can avoid it :)

18. Kitrax

Media:
    Huh, do you have frequent power outages in your area or something? If so, go buy yourself a 30 minute UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) for $50. On the other hand, if your power goes off for several hours on a regular basis, I'd just move. :p

Speaking of land lines however, my folks just bought a new set of 5.8GHz phones. It features an 'expandable' base unit, and came with a total of 4 handsets...but get this, all of them connect to the main base unit, so you only have to worry about one phone line! :thumb: Now I can get my WiFi connection up and running without having to deal with any interference from their old 2.4GHz phones. :D :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.