1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights, or Icewind Dale 2

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Jack Funk, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] The holiday season approaches and I will be asked by family what I want for Christmas. I will eventually get all of these games, but what should I try first? (any comments about the games would be greatly appreciated).
    Thanks!

[ November 14, 2002, 22:49: Message edited by: Jack Funk ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 23 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights, or Icewind Dale 2 (23 votes.)

Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights, or Icewind Dale 2 (Choose 1)
    * Morrowind - 22% (5)
    * Neverwinter Nights - 9% (2)
    * Icewind Dale 2 - 70% (16)

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Morrowind is good if you have tons of time to spend playing an open-ended first-person single player no party action RPG.

NWN is good if you want an easy single player third person no party RPG or lots of multiplayer fun.

IWD2 is good if you love infinity engine games and want another good RPG with a full party.

3. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Actually, I don't know about lots of time, but from what I hear, Morrowind will be a great game for me because I have a tendancy to become attached to my characters, so I don't like beating RPGs, just playing them. For example, Vampire: the Masquerade - Redemption was a GREAT game. You went around, drinking blood, hacking and slashing or locking and loading, casting "spells" and fighting the forces of darkness AS a force of darkness, quite the surreal experience. Problem was, it was WAY too freaking short. I beat it in about two and a half days. The Legend of Zelda - Majora's Mask took me longer than that. From what I hear, Morrowind is absolutely ENORMOUS so if I ever get around to beating it, it'll be in about ten years. Also, my brother told me that the water looked amazing, and that I would not understand till I played.

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Jack, I'm with BTA on this one.

You'll fit right into IWD2 easier than any of the others.

NWN after that, then Morrowind.

That's not to say Morrowind isn't good! But it's massive in a way that I've never seen before. The characters you interact with don't have "personalities" like BG2 or even IwD's. But if you like the RPG factor, it is RPG to the redline.

Personally, I didn't like NWN all that much. But then, I didn't multi; I just played single player a little bit and gave it back to my neighbor.

Looking back on it now, I probably should have given away Mechwarrior4 rather than nuking it...

5. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Without a doubt: Morrowind !!!

6. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Icewind dale 2 (the greatest IE game to date i think:p )should definately be your first choice.
    Morrowind (if you like massive RPG with personality lacking NPCs) or NWN(if you like D&D light roleplaying with diablo2 inspired elements)
    they are both ok, but get Icewind Dale 2 first it is the best :)

And the water in morrowind does look amazing...if you got a geforce3

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] IWD2 :love:

Played on it for three days and am only just near the end of Chapter one - it is fun making the characters. The 3rd Edition rules fit in well as do the new portraits and voice files ;)

One thing I was slightly dissapointed about was the journal - i was hoping it would be more like The BG2 one or PST but it is like the IWD1 journal.

In IWD2 you have to think more about your next move than in the original so that's good. :grin:

8. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Morrowind. The weird lack of personality seems to fade after a while. The longer you associate with the characters the more real they seem. It's also huge...you can spend forever in it. It is also getting a huge expansion...more of Morrowind, another huge cities, more of those living gods to meet, serve, kill, whatever.

9. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] I've just started playing Morrowind. I spent a couple of hours in the first area seyna deen (sp) just to get some experience. Have just been to see that Caius guy. But it does take a lot of getting used to. The map is good - the names of all the buildings and who is in them can be seen on the map. The game is huge though.

Journal seems far too complex to me at this point. I just need it to record where to go, who to see and why. I will already know the storyline as i will have read it while talking to someone.

And yes, the graphics are really sweet. Only nigly thing that i dont like is the momentary pause while the game loads the next area. Why can't it anticipate what area you want next when you get near to a boarder and load it while you move about??

Once i'm used to it, i rekon it will be really sweet. Especially when there is a bit of combat that i stand a chance in (not people who can kill me in a couple of hits).

10. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

If you have cable or DSL I'd say get NWN. The MP and player created modules can keep you entertained for a long time. The main problem is the large download size of the mods and the fact that 90% of them are crap, so you have to download and weed though them, but you can find some real gems. IWDII is a blast but it's linear, once you've played it a couple of times there aren't any new suprises. MW, do you have alot of time and do you enjoy games that don't really end?

11. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Wow. Huge response for IWD2. When I was visiting my parents this weekend, Christmas came up and my mother asked for ideas. I suggested that she get IWD2 for my brother and Morrowind for me. Once played, we can swap.
    Thanks for all of the comments and votes. I appreciate your input.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.