1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: NPC: The referendum

Discussion in 'Playground' started by The Soul Forever Seeking, Oct 17, 2002.

1. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] I've seen many, many forums about characters in RPGs, and in almost all of them, the inevitable argument pops up. NPC: Non-Player Character or Non-Party Character? Anyone not the "you" hero character, or anyone who can't join the group? Let's find out what the majority believes.

Incidentally, Tal, I know this is a gaming question, not a SP question, but I couldn't find a forum that would apply to ALL the games, and the Playground just didn't seem right. Besides, it's not a specific game question, it's a question of people's gaming opinion.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 33 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: NPC: The referendum (33 votes.)

What does the acronym 'NPC' stand for? (Choose 1)
    * Non-Player Character - 97% (32)
    * Non-Party Character - 3% (1)

Who does the term refer to? (Choose 1)
    * Anyone in the game who is not "you", the hero. - 82% (27)
    * Anyone in the game who cannot join your group. - 18% (6)

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I always thought of an NPC as anyone being run by the DM. They can join a party, but the DM usually retains control over their actions.

Player Characters are those characters being run by people...Playing in the party.

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

There can be other players so its not realy everyone who is not you, but definatly not the other option. NPC is non player character and stated in various D&D rulebooks

4. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

An NPC is a character controlled by the GM, rather than one of the players, who has at least some background and personality detailed, so that they can interact with the party. If they just had stats, and maybe a few stock phrases, then they would just be a 'monster', 'blob' or whatever term you wanted to give. An NPC may join the group, be a giver of information, or an enemy.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] If it applies to all games you can put it in The Playground.

6. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31

Wait... What exactly is the GM? I don't mean to sound new, but from the very little I know about P&P rpgs, the big kahuna is the DM.

7. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

@ The Soul Forever Seeking
    Maldir just made a typo he meant DM.

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Isn't DM a D&D only term? Anyway, GM stands for Game Master rather than Dungeon Master.

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yeah, your right BTA.

The DM/GM is basically a god without the rules of been a god. The DM/GM makes up the storyline, NPC's and everything that is not a Player character (PC)

10. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31

You know, this is odd. I've seen with my own eyes that at least one person on SP says it's Non-Party, but so far, NO ONE has voted that way. If I could only remember the name...

[EDIT] Well, it seems they've voted now. Good. I'm not insane. [/EDIT]

[ November 30, 2002, 01:32: Message edited by: The Soul Forever Seeking ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.