1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Selling your life juices...(Blood)

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Kitrax, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    We all know that if you are inclined to, you can go to the local Red Cross center and donate your blood. But would you ever sell your blood or plasma? For the few of us who have the AB negative blood type, including me, there are people willing to pay an arm and a leg for some blood. If I could ever get over my fear of needles I would probably do both: donate to the Red Cross, and sell my blood to people dumb enough to buy it.

Would you? :rolling:

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 25 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Selling your life juices... (25 votes.)

Would you ever sell your blood/plasma? (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 60% (15)
    * Maybe - 20% (5)
    * No - 20% (5)
    * Other - 0% (0)

Would you rather donate than sell your blood? (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 40% (10)
    * Maybe - 36% (9)
    * No - 20% (5)
    * Other - 4% (1)

2. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Probably not. I know it's considered "heroic" and all, but I'd just never get around to doing it.

If somebody walked up to me and said, "I'll give you 50 clams for a pint.", I'd probably be like "Hook it to my veins and gimme a beer!"

3. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Ultimately this "giving of life force" is as meaningful as you make it. If I do something to save a person's life and I get paid for it then that's a nice bonus.

[EDIT] Spelling

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I have probably donated my blood to the Red Cross about 20 different times. I don't go out of my way to do so, but if I am near a location that is having a blood drive (and occassionally there is a blood drive at my place of employment) then I make a point to go. Like I said, not all that often, but I'd say I average 2 or 3 times per year. It usually isn't too bad of an experience, although the last time the person giving me the needle f'ed up, and I have a huge bruise on my arm where blood coagulated under the skin. Still 19 out of 20 times went OK.

I have never sold my blood, and I probably never will.

@ Kitrax: I also have AB negative blood.

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Its not exactly the 'greatest' thing to do because its hardly a sacrifice, but its still a nice thing to do. If you can survive without a pint of blood by all means you should donate it. I've donated many times but like Aldeth I don't go out of my way to do it.

If you can help someone else and all it costs you is 30 minutes on sunday you might as well do it.

6. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I donate when I can. They just can't get enough of A POSITIVE blood type like mine.

*smacks himself for such a bad joke*

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    "Life" Juieces? No. Needles freak me out too much, even for charity.

I don't see me selling my "Man" Juices any time soon either. We be savin' them for Rabbit Jr. :D

8. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] *Dies from laughter at DR* :D

I once knew a guy who went up to a blood donation counter with his wrists outstretched screaming "TAKE ME! TAKE ME!" :confused:

Needless to say, they declined to accept his blood. :D :D

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    @DR freakin' hilarious!

10. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

No way would I donate blood (or pretty much anything for that matter). I would likely not sell it either, if the price wasn't like REAL high.

11. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Saving them for him for what? A present for his first birthday? Yuck! :p

Anyway, when I was in University, I used to give blood right on campus because they paid us about $10 each time. Once I started workung, it just wasn't convenient to donate (yeah, I know, I'm lazy).

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    There are far more people that would prefer to sell their blood than donate it. That's a rather disappointing comment on today's society. Where's the love people?

13. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Love doesn't pay the bills Aldeth and once you've given blood I wouldn't exactly say you're in top condition to be working :(

14. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    When my dad had his heart operation he needed iirc some 30 litre blood to keep him alive. That is, without blood donations the operation would not have been possible.

It's indeed about "giving life".

And as for getting money for it ... well, why not. Marked determines demand and supply determines the price. People donating blood always looked a little anemic (in a vampire movie way) to me, IMO it takes a special sort of person to love that.

15. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I have O positive...And no ones getting any of it! Mwahaha!

16. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

That's cold man. Share the life force. Help the people. :hippy: The next person you save could be Rabbit Jr.

17. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

I wouldn't mind selling blood I could spare. I wouldn't mind donating either, but if I get paid I'd be more motivated =)

If donating could save someones life, of course I would, though it's rarely information that comes my way so I dont donate that often (practically never unless something big happens).

18. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Canadian Blood Services handles all of our blood in Canada so there is no real opportunity to sell it. However, I would be more inclined to donate as I make enough money that earning a few bucks selling blood wont make much of a difference to me. On the other hand, I can certainly see students, minimum wage earners, the unemployed etc. wanting to make a few bucks by selling their blood.

My main complaint about donating blood here is that it is so inconvenient due to inept marketing. If I wanted to donate blood I would have to spend considerable time and effort researching to find out when and where I could do so.

Canadian Blood Services spends an absolute fortune running stupid ads with moronic slogans

(What kind of an idiot comes up with the slogan "Blood, its in you to give!"? Last time I checked it is in you to circulate oxygen/carbon dioxide, deliver food and carry away waste etc. If it was in you to give there wouldn't really be much point in doing so as it would make the process nothing but one big blood exchange! :rolleyes: )

trying to encourage people to donate blood and don't bother providing information about when/where you can do so. I hate ads that do not provide useful facts and quite frankly an ad showing people who need blood is not going to help get any blood donated if no one knows when/where the blood donor clincs will be.

19. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

And that's exactly who you see in the Plasma Centers. It's one of the few places where you can make double minimum wage and do your homework at the same time.

20. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't know if my blood is 0/A/B or what, but I'm willing to share some with others. I don't consider it heroic either, blood is made quite fast and every moth you have totally new blood.

My bloodpressure is a bit low, so I won't do it now. Probably when I feel a bit more healthy.

I'm not afraid of needles. I may be a weakling, but not that weak! ;) :p *picking a fight*

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.