1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Shell or no shell? (No, this isn't about black bears!)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by kuemper, May 3, 2006.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I eat sunflower seeds. I eat the whole seed, shell and meat. 12 oz bags of sunflower seeds get eaten whole until the shell makes my throat bleed.

How about you? Do you eat the whole shell, or just the meat?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 30 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Shell or no shell? (No, this isn't about black bears!) (30 votes.)

Do you eat the whole sunflower seed? (Choose 1)
    * Yep - 10% (3)
    * Nope, just the meat/kernel/inside bit thingy - 53% (16)
    * Nope, just the outside husk - 0% (0)
    * Seeds? I ain't no flippin' bird! - 37% (11)

2. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I don't eat sunflower seeds, too much salt

3. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I eat BBQ sunflower seeds, and I drop a handful in my mouth to suck the seasoning, and after it's done, I take every seed, crack the shell open and eat just the "meat", as our dear marilith would call it.

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Ah, sunflower seeds. That takes me back. I haven't eaten sunflower seeds since I was living on Lucy Lane with Dad, Rita, and Erica.
    Boy am I glad I don't eat sunflower seeds any more. :shake:

5. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

You...eat...the...shells?!
    Ow. Ow ow ow ow oooowwwie.

I'm with DotW. I suck off the seasoning, then crack the shells and eat the 'meat'.

I mean, really. OW.

6. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Suck off the salt, and crack them in my mouth... I get some shell sometimes, but most of the time, I get the salt ;)

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have no idea what you are talking about. I've never even heard of anybody eating a sunflower seed. I've heard of eating sesame seeds, and poppy seeds, and pumpkin seeds, but couldn't tell you what a sunflower seed looked like, never mind having a view on what the shell would be like.

8. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Holy Cow HB, where do you come from?! (Hypothetical question) You've never heard of cheese biscuits and you've never heard of sunflower seeds? Tell me friend, when you look outside the window do you see a large glass dome? :D :D :D

9. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Sunflower seeds; yes, those pesky things that come from sunflowers. I guess Australia doesn't have sunflowers or their seeds, either as human or bird food. They can be plain, salted and BBQ flavored. Also, the meat/kernel is sold seperately and sometimes flavored, too.

(Dragonfly - I'm with you. Where is HB from really?)

I also eat whole pumpkin seeds and the occasional peanut. But I don't eat pecans, walnuts or almonds in their shells. :nuts:

10. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't ever eat sunflower seed shells but I do eat whole pumpkin seeds. The shells are pretty soft anyway.

11. Disciple of The Watch

Look out, everyone, it's Harbourcaveboy, straight out of the stone age!

Seriously, HB, from which planet do you come from to have never seen a single sunflower seed?

Poppy seeds are yummy.

12. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Perhaps he comes from an area where sunflowers don't grow? Like maybe North Harbour (I don't know, but it's likely)? :rolleyes: Seriously, some of this "caveboy" stuff may be deserved, but you guys take it a bit too far. The only reason I had any encounter with sunflowers at all is because my dad grew them in the backyard back at Lucy Lane. And I live in the Midwest!

I am laughing about the irony of HB the raven having to select "I ain't no flippin' bird", though. :shake: Yes you are! Eat the seeds, birdboy, you'll like them. ;)

13. Disciple of The Watch

Maybe Caveboy never encountered a *sunflower* but to have never seen sunflower *seeds*, bagged and sold in every good convenience store? C'mon. :rolleyes:

Perhaps. I have been told taking things a bit too far is one of my specialties. But that's off-topic.

14. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I don't know there, but where I live (and lived) the shells are very hard to swallow and they get stick in the throat. Back when teaching, the student used to buy a little 100gr bag when in the break and started to eat them at the class, I never saw anyone of them eat the shells, in fact, they made so much leftovers that I had to make them clean the classroom because was too disgusting to see all those shells around.

15. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Do you pay any attention at all to HB's posts, other than to find things to pick on? What makes you think that the guy is the type to stop in convenience stores regularly enough to know their merchandise, especially in the area of snack food? Honestly, on the rare occassion that I go into a convenience store, I head straight to the coffee bar and then to the checkout line. I've never noticed little packs of sunflowers seeds - maybe I've SEEN them, but I haven't NOTICED them. Same with the grocery - I get what's on my list and I don't waste time perusing the shelves in sections where I'm not getting anything, like the prepackged salty snack food aisle.

Back on topic... I once saw a recipe on TV that suggested using unshelled sunflower seeds and had a serious WTF?!?!?!? reaction. This is only the second time I've heard of people eating them unshelled.

16. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] DotW, that's quite enough there. I raised my eyebrow at the thought that Harbourboy has never seen or heard of sunflower seeds before as well, but I was content to leave it at that. There's no need for namecalling, eyerolling, and insinuations of backwardness/ignorance bundled together. Especially over something as trivial as this. :nono:

17. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I suppose I would give sunflower seeds a go if I ever actually ran to them in any form other than 20-lbs bag meant for feeding birdies.

18. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I used to eat a lot of roasted sunflower seeds in Spain, they're so addictive! I sometimes chew and eat the shell, but it makes my throat hurt after ten or so, and normally stop and enjoy them the way it was supposed to... just the flesh.

Now, non-salted sunflower seeds are just plain sick. :p

19. kuemper Gems: 31/31

:grin: OMG, bleech! I eat them for the salt specifically.

If you chew the outside really well and get it all soggy, it goes down fairly easily. Coming out, otoh, is a bit of a pain. :lol:

20. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Since Sis, Rally, has posted I don't need to say much. We raised them on the farm for animal consumption but never ate them ourselves. :idea: Maybe I should start a poll to see how many people have eaten Hush Puppies.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.