1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Should Muslims be given prayer rooms in airports?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Darkwolf, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

There have been several instances of people being nervous or uncomfortable at US airports by the Muslim practice of prostrating themselves for their daily prayers. This was even the start of an incident where a group of Islamic men were pulled off a plane. According to the attached article the solution is to provide Islamic people with a private room in which to make their prayers in every public airport. Of course this creates a problem where government owned airports are providing a special service based upon religion, which is generally a major no-no in the US (read unconstitutional). So I put it to you, should space be provided in public airports for the practice of religion?

Forgot to link the story: Prayer rooms at airports.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 30 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Should Muslims be given prayer rooms in airports? (30 votes.)

Should Muslims be given prayer rooms in public airports? (Choose 1)
    * Yes, space should be provided. - 47% (14)
    * Yes, space should be offered, but only if the space is leased at the prevailing rate for each airport. - 20% (6)
    * No, public airports are government facilities and as such this would violate the 1st Amendment. - 33% (10)

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yes, I think the space should be provided. Spaces are provided for mothers to tend to their babies, I don't see this as really all that different. As long as these areas are open to ALL religions, of course. It wouldn't require that much space, and would generally increase customer appreciation at airports. Business wise it makes sense, and if strategically placed could actually increase retail revenue at airports.

I don't see this as the government providing a "service," per se, they're providing a space to do it away from everyone else. The government doesn't have to sanction or conduct anything, therefore not violating the constitution. I believe it's when one faith is "recognized" over others that the constitution is violated, so a multi-purpose meditation area should be kosher (pun intended). Nearly all hospitals have "meditation rooms" available for this purpose, as well as grieving, etc. This could work the same way. It wouldn't hurt for them to try it, at least - they could always use the spaces for something else later.

Also - in your second voting option - if these spaces were to be leased out at the standard rates any other business would have to pay, who would pay for these rooms? If any one church paid for it, they'd obviously exclude other faiths, so I don't see how that would work. The way I see it either the airports would provide the space, or not have them at all.

edit - Good to have you back, douchebag. :p :wave:

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    No, I tell you what, if people have a problem with a Muslim praying, give THEM a room to go to if they don't like it. The Muslim's aren't the ones with the problem here.

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

If the airport feels the necessity to do so, yes. IMO, there really is no need, since religions should have no special treatment even if some of the members start falling flat at specific times.

5. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

On the ground floor with Barmy, the handsome devil that he is.

6. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I can't see any harm in it. But then again some idiot will claim its discrimination / segregation.

7. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Of course I feel that muslims should be allowed to pray wherever they want but if it disturbs other paying customers then I think the airport should consider preparing a separate room for them. As DR said it should be open for all religions and not just muslims. However I don't think airport should be forced to prepare any such rooms if they don't want to.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It certainly isn't unconstitutional for reasons DR pointed out, but on top of that, most airports are privately owned. It is true that all airports must confrom to government regulations, but the airports themselves are usually privately owned. As such, the constitution doesn't really enter into this. I thought of the hospital example immediately as well. In many regards airports are public in the same way that hospitals are public - i.e., while they must all conform to government regulations, and are available to all to use, they are usually privately owned.

[ December 04, 2006, 21:50: Message edited by: Aldeth the Foppish Idiot ]

9. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Wow, Barmy, Clixby and I agree on something. Is this a sign of the end?

Seriously, though, the problem is the other people. I would have no problem whatsoever if I saw a man set himself off to the side (where he isn't in the way), roll out a rug and prostrate himself in muslim prayer. I might be a tad curious what he planned to do if the prayer hour fell while he was on the plane, but I wouldn't be offended or worried in any way.

10. Nataraja Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Media:
    Why can't muslims just pray where they want to pray? Will they set up a special room for christians who want to pray? Or a special room with shrines for Vishnu and Shiva and Ganesha for hindus? Or a special room for scientology?

If muslims can get special treatment in the US airports when they want to pray, how about special treatment for Shaivites who want to smoke charas in honour and praise of Shiva at US airports?

11. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Because Islam says that you have to pray at a certain time of day, each day. Hinduism and other religions dosn`t have that "demand" in their teachings. Plus I am sure they would want prayer rooms on all airports, not just the US ones.......

12. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Have we forgotten so soon the ruckus that Muslims praying quietly on a plane caused? Setting aside the space is a good idea, so long as it's generic (solely Muslim or any other faith is unfair discrimination). We have generic chapels in most hospitals, so it's not a big stretch to put them in airports too. Just putting aside a space for any prayer is probably a good idea considering the possibilities for misinterpretation of public prayer.

13. SimDing0 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

There are various religious practices that I think we'd be daft to allow. Should Sikhs be permitted to carry swords onto planes? Should veiled Muslim women keep their faces obscured as they go through passport control? Obviously these are far from the prayer room scenario at hand, but I think that once you start making special allowances for all sorts of religious requirements, it's a slippery slope.

14. Deadman Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I would rather see these "prayer" rooms turned in smoking rooms so people can smoke without passing there smoking waste for others to breathe.

15. SimDing0 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Yes, and there's that. It seems like more efficient use of space and funding even just to avoid packing everyone in like sardines in the waiting rooms.

16. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Nothing wrong with a room if it makes everyone happy. Me, I wouldn't give two hoots if someone was sacrificing goats next to me. Ok, maybe I'd be a little concerned.

17. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    While I agree with those who have said "who cares if somebody prays," the fact remains that there are some people who do care, have cared for hundreds of years and in all likelyhood will always care. Some people consider it rude when someone makes an overtly religious action in a public place, and rolling out a rug on the floor for a prayer would certainly qualify. Though your beliefs say it's perfectly alright, others may not feel the same way. If the rights of an individual to pray as he wishes is to be respected, the rights of others not to be bothered or subjected to that show of religious practice should also be respected, should they not?

For those whose religion requires that show of respect to God, why not give them a place to do that where they won't draw attention, get in anyone's way, or otherwise bother other people at the airport? Sure, we should all be so tolerant that it wouldn't bother anybody, but that's hardly the world we live in, is it? A separate universal prayer area would appear to solve everyone's problems.

That said, will people cry "discrimination" when an airport employee interrupts a prayer group in an attempt to shuttle them off to the appropriate area...

In other words: would this prayer room be enforceable? Would it be pointless to have one if it weren't?

18. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    I know this thread is about US airports, but im sure last time i was in Edinburgh Airport in Scotland i saw signs for a chapel and for a prayer room, so the scheme must work here, why not in the US?

19. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I have seen private prayer/meditation rooms in several airports and I really don't see a problem with it. It seems like a pretty chaotic environment to be trying to pray in an airport and I have no problem with providing a non-denominational place for quiet prayer.

On the other hand, I think that the Muslims should be able to pray in the waiting area if they want to and the people who gave the Muslims a hard time should be ashamed. The Muslims are not harming anyone else by praying and it is not illegal to pray so it is no one elses business if they do so. If you don't like to see people pray then just don't watch them do it.

Since when is not having to be exposed to others doing things that are perfectly legal but you don't like a right? If I decide that I don't like bubble gum should that mean that no one else is allowed to chew gum when I am around?

20. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I don't think it's unconstitutional in the US if a privately owned airport has a prayer room (however one could argue by the 10th amendment that it is unconstitutional for the US government to interfere with the running of airports ;) ).

Why not let the owners of the airports decide which religions (if any) they want to offer special amenities?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.