1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Suicide thoughts

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Eilonwy, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Eilonwy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Have you ever considered suicide?
    You don't need to write anything about it, but I would appreciate if you did...
    Any thoughts are welcome.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 51 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Suicide thoughts (51 votes.)

Have you ever tried to commit suicide? (honest now) (Choose 1)
    * Yes, once... - 12% (6)
    * Yeah, several times, yet still I live. - 16% (8)
    * No, but I have thought about it. - 41% (21)
    * No way! - 31% (16)

How? (Choose 7)
    * Slitting wrists. - 18% (9)
    * Gun or other weapon. - 22% (11)
    * Pills or booze...often combined. - 14% (7)
    * Rope around neck. - 6% (3)
    * Drowning. - 6% (3)
    * Others. - 29% (15)
    * None. - 49% (25)

2. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I have thought, but no. I think it's for those, who can't face life and fight. Just like drugs and booze.

3. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

sure I have, though I figured it kinda scary. Why end life when I really want to live forever.

I started writing some poetry, and a year after I'm doing fine back on track :)

4. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Sorry, to all you Suicidal Failures :evil: I thought about it many times but never went for it. If your gonna do it do it right!

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I've thought about it, but it's just when I'm depressed or angry. Like the kind of feeling that you want to get out of the world because your girlfriend broken up with you, or because you failed a chemistry test. I can't honestly say I have really considered the issue seriously.

Normally, I'm too occupied, tired, or daydreaming away to worry about such stuff.

6. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Never,
    I believe that I don't have the right to do it as nobody has,only The One who gave your life to you has the right.
    Life is not always as we expect.So will you suicide if something goes wrong,sometimes it seems that everything is wrong.You must face your problems.
    Here are some lyrics:

Morning comes too early and nighttime falls too late
    And sometimes all I want to do is wait
    The shadow I've been hiding in has fled from me today

I know it's easier to walk away than look it in the eye
    But I will raise a shelter to the sky
    and here beneath this
    star tonight I'll lie
    She will slowly yield the light
    As I awaken from the longest night

Dreams are shaking
    Set sirens waking up tired eyes
    With the light the memories all rush into his head

By a candle stands a mirror
    Of his heart and soul she dances
    She was dancing through the night above his bed

And walking to the window
    he throws the shutters out
    against the wall
    And from an ivory tower hears her call
    'Let light surround you'

It's been a long, long time
    He's had awhile to think it over
    In the end he only sees the change
    Light to dark
    Dark to light
    Light to dark
    Dark to light

Heaven must be more than this
    When angels waken with a kiss
    Sacred hearts won't take the pain
    But mine will never be the same

He stands before the window
    His shadow slowly fading from the wall
    And from an ivory tower hears her call
    'Let the light surround you'

Once lost but I was found
    When I heard the stained glass shatter all around me
    I sent the spirits tumbling down the hill
    But I will hold this one on high above me still
    She whispers words to clear my mind
    I once could see but now at last I'm blind

I know it's easier to walk away than look it in the eye
    But I had given all than I could take
    And now I've only habits left to break
    Tonight I'll still be lying here
    Surrounded in all the light

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yikes! You people need to get a grip!

I just can't imagine how somebody who has the time/resources to while their time away here could have a life so bad that suicide was remotely thinkable.

Suicide because of a lost girlfriend or a failed test?! Like I said: Get a grip!

8. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Once...

When I had depression.

I moved away to the midlands, away from all my friends and family, I thought I would never seen them again, I was only nine. I wouldn't actually have seen them if I'd stayed. I got a computer and it was put in the attic, I stayed up there all day and had my meals brought up, I began to eat just for the sake of it, I was beaten up at school and hated my step-dad, he used to hit my mother and he had a son who had a mental disorder and an evil dog. I got so fed up I contemplated suicide. I kept a knife up in the attic with me incase I ever decided or if he came near me. in the end I didn't have the guts and ended up falling out the window into the conservatory.

We moved back to the South where my friends and family are - my mother is divorced and we are better off and happier, I'm at last in a school where I am not bullied, I have lost weight that I gained and have kept myself from getting that low again. My computer died when we moved house though - crushed, I nearly dried, it had been my only friend for over three months, the only thing I could talk to and trust. I know it sounds sad, but still I prefer the company of a computer or a cat, I still am not all that trusting of dogs, though my best friend recently got a puppy and I have had to forget about my distrust and the holes in the tights (it's a nippy bugger ;) )

Recently I've been getting depressed again but I know I'll never get that low, I won't let any of me get me down. I have more problems than I did but I'm dealing with them. That's all you have to do - take things a day at a time.

BTW - are you trying to see the most popular way of commiting suicide :p

9. Eilonwy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

No, I am not.

Shielded

An icy shield surrounds my heart.
    Stops feelings from leaking out.
    Deep down inside I cry I am hurt.
    I want to scream and shout.

Noone understands me right.
    The pain I'm going through.
    They pat my head and holds me tight.
    But they don't have a clue.

Why don't they just leave me alone?
    I don't need nobody now.
    My mind is broke, my heart of stone.
    How could this happen, how?

Grey Feelings

Thoughts of suicide running through my head.
    Would someone miss me if I were dead?
    I am tired of this ****, tired of this life!
    Will it be the window or the knife?

I am making no differens, so who the hell
    cares?!
    Dark clouds poisoning my mind like nightmares.

Why am I wasting my time here on Earth?
    I should have been dead when my mother gave
    birth.
    I will miss you all, family and friends.
    This is where the story of my life ends.

Drowning

I take the knife,
    cut my wrist.
    I know that this is wrong.
    Blood is pouring,
    down my arm.
    Listen to a calming song.
    The blood is flowing,
    fills the room.
    Stomach turns inside out.
    Drowning in sorrow,
    weakness and lies.
    Swallow blood so I can't shout:

Help.

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I thought about suicide the first time when I was 10 and pondered it back and forth until I was 17. It was when I decided that life do suck most of the time but that it probably wouldnt be an improvement to end that I stopped thinking about it. The occasional gleams of light is better than no happiness at all which is probably what awaits in the afterlife. Not to mention that you will get there sooner or later and then have an eternity on you to experience it. And of course that suicide is the most selfish and cowardly act a human being can do, worth nothing but contempt, no matter how rough life has handled you.

11. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Honestly yes ... though I know I would never pull the trigger.

BTA ... if my life were better, I wouldn't be on SP! I'd be enjoying myself in reality.

Mostly these thoughts come from depression or a level of stress that is beyond my means at the time.

My opinion, thinking about it once in a blue moon isn't terrible. Dwelling on it ... get help, seriously, life is too precious to throw away.

Circumstances change, people move on, time and grace can heal a multitude of sins.

12. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    The thought about suicide helped me through dark times, heights, knifes, trains, etc

But in the end youll see life is unfair and you should accept that, suicide is just running away..

But in the end, would that matter??

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Never. I think that I'm a clear enough thinker where, if I get to the miserable point, I don't think of ending my life but start to think that some people that made me miserable would certainly look much better fitted out in a 6' x 3' piece of pine. (Never acted on that thought, though.)

14. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    some people dont commit suicide because they are scared of anything, or depressed, some people try it simply because they view life as 'not worth the effort' or at least i did, and i still do, i tried, and i would be dead now if some bloke didnt grab me on the edge of the rail track... i look back, and i think about how much courage it took to jump that time, and i know that i could never bring that much courage to my life again.
    so i joined the forces, and see if i get my head blown off this way

15. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

When I've wanted an escape from life, when things have been really tough, I thought "maybe suicide would work", but then I said "a) that's stupid b) that's cowardly c)there's about a million things I want to do that would be rather difficult to do if I were dead and d) my life is WAY better than the life of about a billion people, so I've got NO right to even think about it unless I'm REALLY at the bottom of the heap, as opposed to just a little depressed.

So I've never even thought of or considered a method. If the lives of those dear to me were contingent on me removing myself from the planet, I'd choose either a gun, or a leap that wouldn't hurt anyone else by my fat butt landing on them.

16. Judas Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I've thought about it, but never considered it. That is, I've never been in a frame of mind in which I thought it might be a viable thing to do.

My stance on suicide is pretty simple. It's GUARANTEED you will die. Death is the only promise life can definately keep. Why rush things?

I'm an atheist. As far as I know, when I die, I won't be greeted with a "happy place". There's nothing but oblivion. IMHO, oblivion is as bad as it gets. A life involving [even a lot of] pain is better, because at least you ARE.

I think people who kill themselves based on the belief that they are somehow going to be better off are taking a huge gamble... what do we KNOW about the afterlife?

As a side note, a cousin of mine committed suicide about eighteen months ago. It was very sad. She'd tried several times before she finally succeeded, and her family lived in constant fear that she'd try again. She was in her mid twenties. Her father found her, and she wasn't in a pretty state. I don't know how the poor guy got through it.

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

So Khelben, you mean my Mum has the right to kill me? ;)
    I agree with Judas, its better to exist than not to. Even if life realy sucks. But then, oblivion can't be a bad thing for you as you do not exist, then, its not a particulary good thing either.

18. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Oops. I voted for "Yes, yet I still live" on the Have you tried to commit suicide -part. I meant to say that I've thought about it many, many times, yet I still live. Not tried.

It's normal to think that way. I don't think any human goes past puberty without thinking of committing suicide at least once. If they do, then there's something wrong with them. Through my studies and hobbies, I've heard of, and consulted numerous youngsters about this. Thinking about suicide is normal, but nobody wants to think about it this way. If I say to a middle-aged adult something along the lines of "stop that whining, you're just going through a normal chrisis, it's not as if there's something special about it", it certainly isn't going to make him feel any easier about it. To the person in question this chrisis is very much the whole world, and there's nothing humorous about it. Of course, obviously just by talking through net, you can't tell when the case is real. So I'm not trying to advice you to pick this attitude towards everyone. Besides, many people can get real with their intentions if not taken seriously, as they're really just trying to get noticed. So whatever the most probable reason and consequence of a suicide threat is, it should always still be treated seriously.

19. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

No way. I'm quite happy most of the time, even getting bullyed dosn't seem to really bother me much. I just hit them back these days.

And my god poetry is boring. :sleep:

Sorry :good:

[ February 13, 2003, 12:55: Message edited by: Z-Layrex ]

20. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I've thought about running away from problems in the past, but never by killing myself.

The thoughts were always about just leaving all the crap behind and going somewhere else, fresh start etc.

If places, relationships etc are that bad, leave those behind, not yourself.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.