1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: The Beatles or Stones? Are They Still Even Relevant?

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Chandos the Red, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I not sure I've seen this poll posted on SP in the few short years I've been here. But I'm a fan of both these rival bands, as I am of many of the bands of the 60s. I'm sure there are a few other members on SP who feel the same as I do.

It's hard to believe that some of this stuff is forty years old. Yet, IMHO, their music is still just as great and relevant as ever. So, who still has the better grooves? But among some, especially those who are younger, they are almost fossils, relics from the past. Have these icons of the 60s counter-culture seen their day?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 38 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: The Beatles or Stones? Are They Still Even Relevant? (38 votes.)

The Beatles or Stones? Are They Still Even Relevant? (Choose 1)
    * The Beatles Forever. Keith Rrichards is really an escapee from the Vale of Shadows. - 53% (20)
    * The Stones, Baby. They Got "Attitude." - 24% (9)
    * Neither. Both are overrated. - 18% (7)
    * Who are these guys anyway? - 0% (0)
    * Forget those guys - I'll stick with my Beethoven (roll over? ...indeed). - 5% (2)

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Ah bonus, the poll crashes and when it is recreated I get my old fart who listens to classical music category added. :thumb:

4. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I think the rhythm sections are pretty even; Charlie Watts is a great drummer, as is Ringo. But I really like Charlie's style. And although Bill Wyman is a solid bassman, I have to go with Paul on bass. In fact, I think Paul is probably one of the best bass players around, IMO.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oh dear, Chandos is going to make some sort of Frankenstein's monster of a rock band by cobbling togther bits from the Stones and the Beatles! Jumping Jack Bungalow Bill!

6. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Beatles. I love the Stones, but if I had to choose one bands catalog over the other, it would be the Beatles. I am amazed at the quality of their albums from start to finish.
    Technical talent is probably a draw. Song writing is where the Beatles leave the Stones behind.

7. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I'm doing no such thing, HB. I was only comparing the players - how they stack up against each other as musicians. Sorry if you misunderstood.

Jack Funk - I completely agree. As song writers the Beatles were far superior, which is why I voted for them also.

8. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

I'm just not a big fan of the stones. I like a couple of their songs, but personally, I think my dog can sing better than Mick! I've always thought they were the worlds ugliest band, though it hasn't seemed to stop them from nabbing some hot ladies.

The Beatles, on the other hand...love em! One of my favorite songs is still 'While my guitar gently weeps'.

9. Harbourboy

The Rolling Stones deserve some points for the unbelievable longevity but, for me, you cannot go past the Beatles. Nothing beats listening to their entire catalogue from start to finish on a long car journey.

10. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Stones? Get real, Chandos! Longevity (yep, HB) is the only thing they've ever achieved. Three good songs, an overrated performance - and yes, they're ugly as hell.

I voted for the Beatles. Although Obladi-Oblada makes me throw up. And I have a nervous breakdown every time I'm forced to listen to Yesterday or Yellow Submarine.

Now, Revolution No 9 on the other hand - marvellous. And While My Guitar Gently Wheeps: long live George Harrison! (Too late? Eh, whatever...)

George has written some of the most profound Beatles songs, I always felt he was a bit underrated. McCartney? Please, just listen to the crap he put out after he went solo. Terrible! McCartney is nothing withhout Lennon. Those two really shined. I was a wee bit disappointed when Paul didn't marry Yoko Ono after Linda's death - what a beautiful couple they would have been...

(Just for the records: the three good Stones' songs are Paint It Black, Angie and Ruby Tuesday.)

11. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

They are both great bands, but are very over rated (BTW I like classical music and I am but 24).

I think most (i.e. not everyone) people only say they are good because they are considered 'classic'. Think of James Joycs's book 'Ulysses'. Its pure nonsense, but because he is a highly regarded author, people think it is an 'intellectual' book because they don't want to sound stupid saying they do not understand it, or simply don't like it. I think some people think this way with the Beatles and the Stones.

12. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

The Stones. I like the beatles (Especially George Harrison) but I prefer the Stones sound. It just hit a nerve in me that I really liked.

Darkthrone - Are those the only Stones songs you've heard ;)

Songs like Memo From Turner and Red Rooster feature great slide work and an amazing blues sound. Besides them, what about Brown Sugar, Wild Horses or Sympathy For The Devil?

Chandos - Paul McCartney isn't all that good on the bass, TBH.

I have to say though, that I think the Stones are still revered by young musicians (myself included ;) ) - Except metal guitarists, who wouldn't know a blues lick from their arsehole :p

13. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Sorry I am not into my 'white-boy' blues ;)

I preferred the original version of 'Little Red Rooster'

14. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Ha, you've got me there, Mr Crusader. :lol:

15. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I don't really recognise the Stones and I've heard quite a lot of Beatles, so I guess my vote would have to go there, between just the two. However, Beethoven also has a place in my... errr... ears. ;)

I love Yesterday. I even sing it. Interesting thing, with just a minimal adaptation, like the choice of instruments, it becomes a masterpiece of classical music.

16. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

I believe that John Lehnon was one of the greatest music genius of the 20th century but my vote goes to Stones, mainly because Stones were always the bad boys, they were representing the wild side, while Beatles were more mainstream.

17. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I couldn't really vote, as I think they are both equally relevant today. Neither band has an overwhelming direct relevance as they did in the '60's and '70's, but both have a presence and influence on the people making good music today. I discount the Stones' longevity because they haven't made a decent song in decades. You may as well dress up a cover band and hit them with an ugly stick -- it would give you the same thing as the "modern" Stones.

As far as personal taste, I preferred the Stones to the Beatles because their songs were, IMO, edgier and more interesting. I liked a bunch of Beatles songs, but I was intrigued by the Stones.

Plus, Sympathy for the Devil was awesome Darkthrone.

Chandos - you should have added a last category of answer: "Screw them both, Led Zeppelin rocked the house and blew them away as the best English white-boy blues band of the era!" That would have taken my vote.

18. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

Here here DMC! Zeppelin all the way! :)

Too funny and so true!

I have to disagree with Sympathy for the Devil...all I hear when I listen to this song is the constant 'hoo hoo'. Way too repetetive. Now Paint It Black and Gimme Shelter...those are good Stones' songs.

19. Harbourboy

But by the same token, many people dislike them for the same reason. These are the same music snobs who think that anything popular must be crap and only support bands that only 4 people have ever heard of. If those bands ever make it big then they are considered to have 'sold out' even if they are making exactly the same music.

20. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Well, that's just my opinion. I thought he and Ringo made a pretty good section.

Those are all good songs, but not my favs, which are: Gimme Shelter(no, I'm not into drugs, but great song), Can't you hear me Knockin' (superb sax over Richard's soulful guitar breaks), Street Fightin' Man, The Last Time, Get off my Cloud and 19th Nervous Breakdown (Great drums!).

While Zep is a great band, they had almost no value as 60s counter-culture rockers. They were never symbols of protest in the same way that the Beatles or Stones were, at least as I see it. Although, I heard if you play "Stairway to Heaven" backwards...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.