1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: The Great poll of computer hardware!

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kitrax, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well...this poll really should be in the Techno Magic section, but since I can't post a poll there, I'm doing it here.

As for the poll, it’s about which computer hardware you like better (AMD or Intel) for example. The competitors are mainstream companies, but there is an option listed as "other" if you prefer a video card you made yourself...in which case, please tell us about it!

Also, I didn't include hard drives or any other "optical" drives because there are just too many makes/manufacturers to list.

On to the poll! :rolling:

Poll Information
    This poll contains 5 question(s). 35 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: The Great poll of computer hardware! (35 votes.)

Procesors... (Choose 1)
    * Intel - 29% (10)
    * AMD - 66% (23)
    * Other/just the results for me - 6% (2)

Motherboards... (Choose 1)
    * Abit - 11% (4)
    * ASUS - 34% (12)
    * Gigabyte - 9% (3)
    * Intel - 9% (3)
    * MSI - 11% (4)
    * Other/just the results for me - 26% (9)

Video Cards... (Choose 1)
    * ATI - 49% (17)
    * nVidia - 40% (14)
    * Other/just the results for me - 11% (4)

Sound Cards... (Choose 1)
    * Creative Labs - 66% (23)
    * Turtle Beach - 0% (0)
    * AOpen - 3% (1)
    * ChainTech - 0% (0)
    * Other/just the results for me - 31% (11)

Your speakers (Choose 1)
    * 2/2.1 (2 speakers/2 speakers and a subwoofer) - 40% (14)
    * 4/4.1 (4 speakers/4 speakers and a subwoofer) - 20% (7)
    * 5/5.1 (5 speakers/5 speakers and a subwoofer) - 17% (6)
    * 6/6.1 (6 speakers/6 speakers and a subwoofer) - 6% (2)
    * 7/7.1 (7 speakers/7 speakers and a subwoofer) - 3% (1)
    * Other/just the results for me - 14% (5)

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Always Intel processors. Abit boards for me, although ASUS is also good and Intel ones surely can't suck. As for GFX, I don't really know. Depends on the need, I guess. I've had an nVidia card for some time, but ATI works great for those who have it. As for sound, always Creative just because it's the original SoundBlaster manufacturer. If other companies' cards are not SoundBlaster clones, then they could be a reasonable choice, but I wouldn't really buy a SoundBlaster clone if the original isn't really more expensive.

For speakers, I use my audio set's columns. Two, no subwoofer.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Fixed the polling, sorry about that.

Anyway, I don't think many people today still buy separate sound cards, and even fewer will do so in the future, since I read Intel has developed an onboard chip more powerful than the dedicated Sound Blaster cards, so we'll be seeing even better onboard sound soon. So an "onboard sound" option is definitely missing in that poll.

I've ditched my last Sound Blaster two years ago, and never regretted it - the onboard sound works just fine for me.

4. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

To me, anything more than two speakers is a waste of money. I rarely pay attention to game sounds anyway, and I use my speakers mostly just for commercial music. I don't know what a subwoofer is, but I probably don't have one.

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I have always had (at least for my last 4 systems) Intel processors, mainboards and core logic chipsets. But with the release of the AMD 64 series, even die-hard Intel users must admit that AMD has the performance lead by a clear and sizable margin. Not only that but AMD's quality has improved as well. I suspect Intel will catch up during the first quarter of 2005 when they release their own 64 bit processors.

Intel also makes one stable mainboard. They are not usually bleeding-edge, but are high quality and very compatible with most any hardware components out there. But my vote was for MSI, since just about every tech savvy person I know believes they are the best cutting-edge components.

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I have always had Intel processors and usually motherboards too. The one AMD chip that we had at my office fried on me just weeks after the warrenty expired and I have never touched one since - I know that AMD has had huge quality improvements since then but I just haven't ever felt inclined to give them another chance.

My soundcards have always been from Creative Labs although I have not upgraded my card in the last couple years. I have a 5 speaker plus subwoofer desktop theatre system. I bought it to watch DVDs on my computer back before I bought my own house.

7. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Ha, my results are exactly the same as those that are leading in the polls.

I am an AMD man, and have been ever since my XP 2000+ which I adored. Now I'm using a 3400+. AMD just rules.

I was surprised that ATI is in the lead here, most people prefer NVIDIA or so I thought.

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

You forgot to mention headphones! :aaa:

Seriously, sounds really help to make the game feel a lot better, so if you haven't paid too much attention to them now; try it. ;)

9. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I appear to be the only one so far with a 6.1 audio set; which I actually regret buying. I've got the Creative Inspire 6.1 set, but the subwoofer broke down after about a year. My brother has the same speaker set and his subwoofer is showing the same behaviour just like mine did, before it broke down. Besides that, Creative support isn't exactly the fastest one out there. I now wonder whether that sixth speaker was worth the extra money and whether I should have bought a more conventional Creative 5.1 set at the time, of which I hardly hear any complaints.

Besides that, I wonder when the first person comes along to tell us that we all need to buy a Mac :)

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've always had AMD and ATI. My current (new) system has an ASUS mobo (but I don't really lean towards any one manufacturer), and onboard 5.1 sound.

11. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I've never known anything about motherboards or the different types of RAM (which weren't in the poll either). I've ASUS now but for no other reason than the fact my roommate recommended it. Intel for processor because it's a reliable one and doesn't need a fan making 10 times more sound than it should. And ATI for video card because Nvidia isn't doing too good on the price / performance ratio these days. Or at least wasn't when I got this Radeon 9800pro.

As for speakers, I have some 5 yearold lousy Typhoon stereo speakers, but I haven't used them in ages. I bought Sennheiser's HD500 headphones shortly after they came out, and have been using them since. Headphones are better in every aspect. They give privacy and save you the trouble of having to worry about the volume because of other people in the same apartment, or neighbors.

12. Veldrin

Veldrin We'll ride the spiral to the end Veteran

I've always gone with AMD and Nvidia. My current machine has an Asus motherboard and I've had no problems with it yet. I'm probably going to use another Asus motherboard when I build my 64-bit machine.

13. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

I currently have an ASUS motherboard with an Intel processor. But I wish I had an AMD running my comp.
    A friend of mine has a similar setup and the games run far better on his comp. Of course there are the heating problems but nothing that 2 fans in the cabinet wont fix.

Creative labs for the sound since there simply is no one else on the radar. Two speakers really are enough until I get a DVD collection.

14. Kitrax

Media:
    Yeah, I realize that onboard audio is starting to take over, with onboard video, and gigibyte LAN, but those rely on the CPU, so people like me, that use their computer to watch TV, DVDs, listen to CDs, and the radio, and who frequently go to LAN parties, will still want an actual add-in card for their audio, video, and NIC needs.

I also forgot to list my preferences, so I'll do that now:

• I always go with an Intel chip, mainly because I hate AMD. Intel's chips wont instantly go up in smoke if the heat sink were to pop off for some reason. Also, the core on AMD's chips can be crushed very easily. :bang: AMD boasts about haveing the only 64 bit processor, but what good is it without a 64 bit operating system? Maybe if the next version of windows (nicknamed Longhorn) is a 64 bit OS, then the processor might be worth it, but if Longhorn turns out to be another 32 bit OS, then you're SOL. And one last thing...no AMD chip can beat an Intel 3.4Ghz Extreme Edition...unless you only care about the price! :money:
    • I do like ASUS motherboards because of their features, but they are overpriced...I would go with a ABIT mobo any day though, because ABIT mobos are meant to be overclocked...they even make overclocking user friendly by using a "soft menu" within the system BIOS...so ABIT has my vote. :thumb:
    • As for video cards, I go with ATI. A while back I would have gone with nVidia, back when the Voodoo cards were popular, but now ATI has stolen my heart. :love:
    • For the sound card, I'll always be a Creative Labs fan...they made my USB sound card for my laptop, and my 5.1 speaker setup...which is what speaker configuration I prefer...unless you have a dedicated theater, in which case a 7.1 is essential. :rolling:

[ September 27, 2004, 00:16: Message edited by: Kitrax ]

15. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Longhorn will have 64 bits, and the only thing extreme about the 3.4 EE is the price, and the flash memory, which is doubled..

I like Intel because they have their own R&D center, something AMD can't afford, and AMD is a non-American product made in asian sweatshops :lol:

16. Kitrax

Media:
    There is a 64 bit version of XP now...I think it's only for servers and workstations though, I haven't heard much about it...yet :borg:

@Morgoth, so that's why AMD chips are cheaper! :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.