1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What CAN change the nature of a man?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Yerril, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

[​IMG] It may have been inspired by PS:T, but it doesn't concern it, so please don't move this poll to that forum.

Me, being an old softie, I chose Love. In all seriousness, the stuff this particular emotion does to people's thought patterns is incredible. People can change to a completely different person in a vague hope of pleasing someone they love, when they should know that the best way to do it is by simply being yourself. There are people who will go to absolutely extraordinary lengths for love, and once you have found it, it turns your life in an entirely different direction.

So, which one do you think?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 40 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: What CAN change the nature of a man? (40 votes.)

What can change the nature of a man (or woman)? (Choose 1)
    * Love - 28% (11)
    * Hatred - 17% (7)
    * Power - 0% (0)
    * Greed - 3% (1)
    * Betrayal - 5% (2)
    * Death - 5% (2)
    * Regret - 10% (4)
    * Age - 3% (1)
    * Suffering - 15% (6)
    * Success - 0% (0)
    * The Planes (make of that what you will...) - 5% (2)
    * Nothing - 5% (2)
    * I don't know - 0% (0)
    * I cannot answer that question - 5% (2)

2. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Me, being an addolecent softie, I chose love.

[ December 15, 2002, 16:01: Message edited by: Master of Nuhn ]

3. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I think that under appropriate circumstances, any of those can change the nature of a man...or maybe that's just in the nature of that man to react that way...huh.

Regardless, I chose hatred. I cannot see how you can think love can change the nature of a man without acknowledging that hatred can do the same. In my experience, they are often the same emotion or so close as to make little difference.

A lot of people see love and hate as being on the opposite ends of the spectrum of emotions. I think that's simply not accurate. Love and hate simultaneously occupy the same spot on the extreme end of that spectrum; the other extreme is apathy.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

That question can not be answered with one vote, everything you said could possibly change a mans nature, but I dissagree with love, it is usualy what comes after love that changes them

5. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Heehee, it was never going to be easy...

Looks like the Alley of Dangerous Angles is a truly appropriate name.

Keep the opinions flowin'...

6. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I voted for love because i never believe in it until i experienced it myself and i do believe it changed me.

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think all of them can change a person, I dont know about the *nature* of a man. Thats the core and I wonder if that ever changes. But thats drifting I think all of them if felt strongly enough can change the nature of a person.

8. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I chose greed, since it is the base of all actions of mankind, love, hate, betrayal all come from greed.

and greed comes from the will to survive, but that wasn´t in the list :p

[ December 15, 2002, 18:38: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

9. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

A man's nature can only be changed, if change is in his nature.

10. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Hatred for me. It's the most powerful force in this world.

11. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Stupidity.
    Hatred is not a force and alone can destroy only it's owner.
    However, hatred combined with manipulation can affect the force called stupidity. Then this stupidity becomes another mass murderer.

12. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, I'd be more interested in what can change a person for the better as well as for the worse, so I'll go in the other direction from Extremist :) and say knowledge. The more experience you have of the world and the people in it, the more your values will usually shift. (I am assuming "nature" is a combination of values and moral alignment but I'm open to a better definition). Education, travel, and other diverse life experience doesn't always make a person better, of course- but it usually does change them.

Religion can also change a person's nature for better or for worse. Usually, but not always, better. It's amazing how much "finding God" changes everything about the person it happens to.

13. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I'll have to agree with Extremist on this one.
    Hatred+stupidity=the most destructive and powerful force ever.

That which takes a master craftsman a long time to build can be destroyed by a stupid and hateful person in a matter of seconds.

Hence, hatred>love, evil>good, stupidity>intelligence, destruction>creation, death>life and satan>jebus/jesus/dumbass.

Boy, am I glad I'm evil. Though not stupid, but one just can't have it all, eh?

14. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    erm, picture this

a oogyboogy person who had just invented the square wheel, with a club and the intelligence of a pigs ass (aww, now I´m insulting all the pigs in this world, sorry)

vs.

A ubermensch, with a selfmade Dragunov Sniper Rifle plus a Harrier Jet

Guess who will win??

What if the nazis had won the second world war, what would be the base of the moral.. killing jews would be good, now we would see that as evil..
    Moral is made by the winners

so its more like good>evil

In order to create a new society, you must destroy the old, so these two go hand in hand, more like destruction=creation

Death is nothing, life is something, something is always better than nothing

15. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] The Planes, because what happens on any can change your nature, from the wind being too strong this morning to falling in love.

16. Keihdra Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Any of the things listed could change the nature of a man. In fact, I think the nature of man is to constant change. Except my mom, who will never change.

17. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

very difficult to pick only one! I think our natures are constantly modified by what we experience and thus everything will change our nature. Live is a constant choosing of roads to take and each different route we choose will make our nature as it is. So the one option missing in this poll is "everything"

18. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

But there is less point in destruction than in creation. I choose regret - although that is only one in a myriad of factors. Aegron is right in "everything" needs to be a choice.

19. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Thats what i meant with my planes vote, just couldn't sum it up properly at the time, too many distractions elsewhere.

20. scarampella Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I agree with everyone who has said any one of those things can change a persons nature.

I myself voted for suffering.

It is my opinion that it is much more difficult for people to *choose* to change themselves under positive conditions such as love. Most people resist change unless it hits them on the head somehow; When life demands it in some way.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.