1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What spells would I pick?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Errol, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Okay, since I'm thinking of giving one of my character's a sorcerer level or so, I'd like some advice on spell selection. This'll be my first spellcaster character I've made/played in PnP D&D.

Some notes; Firstly the character isn't the evocative type. I'm not ruling any direct damage spells out, but he's more of a "subtle" kinda guy. He's got a few rogue levels, and ready access to some spells/abilities (Change Self, Open/Lock etc).

In short, what low-level spells would you find the most useful for a low-mid level character (lev. 4-7)?
    [edit: Ooops, in Question 2 you should be able to pick 5 spells as well. Please say which ones in your post.]

[ November 09, 2003, 17:47: Message edited by: Gopher ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 18 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: What spells would I pick? (18 votes.)

0 Level Spells (cantrips) (Choose 5)
    * Resistance - 22% (4)
    * Ray of Frost - 17% (3)
    * Detect Poison - 39% (7)
    * Daze - 33% (6)
    * Dancing Lights - 17% (3)
    * Flare - 6% (1)
    * Light - 28% (5)
    * Ghost Sound - 44% (8)
    * Disrupt Undead - 11% (2)
    * Mage Hand - 44% (8)
    * Mending - 0% (0)
    * Open/Close - 17% (3)
    * Arcane Mark - 6% (1)
    * Detect Magic - 61% (11)
    * Prestidigitation - 39% (7)
    * Read Magic - 56% (10)

1 Level Spells: (Choose 1)
    * Alarm - 0% (0)
    * Endure Elements - 0% (0)
    * Hold Portal - 0% (0)
    * Protection from Chaos/Evil/Good/Law - 0% (0)
    * Shield - 0% (0)
    * Grease - 0% (0)
    * Mage Armour - 11% (2)
    * Mount - 0% (0)
    * Obscuring Mist - 17% (3)
    * Summon Monster 1 - 0% (0)
    * Unseen Servant - 0% (0)
    * Comprehend Languages - 0% (0)
    * Detect Secret Doors - 0% (0)
    * Detect Undead - 0% (0)
    * Identify - 6% (1)
    * True Strike - 11% (2)
    * Charm Person - 6% (1)
    * Hypnotism - 0% (0)
    * Sleep - 6% (1)
    * Magic Missile - 6% (1)
    * Tenser's Floating Disk - 0% (0)
    * Change Self - 0% (0)
    * Color Spray - 0% (0)
    * Nystul's Magic Aura - 0% (0)
    * Nystul's Undetectable Aura - 0% (0)
    * Silent Image - 0% (0)
    * Ventriloquism - 0% (0)
    * Cause Fear - 6% (1)
    * Chill Touch - 0% (0)
    * Ray of Enfeeblement - 0% (0)
    * Animate Rope - 0% (0)
    * Burning Hands - 0% (0)
    * Englarge - 0% (0)
    * Erase - 0% (0)
    * Expeditious Retreat - 0% (0)
    * Feather Fall - 6% (1)
    * Jump - 0% (0)
    * Magic Weapon - 6% (1)
    * Message - 0% (0)
    * Reduce - 0% (0)
    * Shocking Grasp - 0% (0)
    * Spider Climb - 17% (3)
    * (Extra option, oops, don't pick this one :p ) - 6% (1)

2. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Resistance- kinda handy
    Detect Poison- helpfull for a Roguish char
    Dacing Light- Fooling your enemy for an extra Backstab
    Ghost Sound same as above plus it has ¨other¨ use like making sound so people will get out so you can steal something
    Detect Magic- It's a universal spell I always use, no mater what I mean it's usefull!
    Obscuring Mist- Your a rogue no? so OBVIOUS choice

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Spells that allow for Sneak Attack (rays, Acid Arrow), Transmutation spells to boost needed physical stats (Endurance, Cat's Grace), and Invisibility and True Strike are always Prime choices for a Rogue/Sorcerer. So is Polymorph Self (for more attacks per round, meaning more more Sneak Attack damage).

4. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

But many of those are 2nd level and above spells, of which a Sorcerer does not attain until level 4. This means I'll be level 8/9 by the time I can cast 2nd level spells.

I don't only fight in combat you know, Oaz ;)

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Ah, I was a bit in a rush then so I was just replying, not voting.

Sneak Attack can apply to Ray of Frost (it's cold damage) and Ray of Enfeeblement (negative energy damage). True Strike is a level one spell.

Shield is also a good idea for AC, but try not to go for Magic Missile (despite its raw power), since you'll do less damage than a pure Sorcerer. A Rogue5/Sorcerer5 only deals 3d4+3 damage - not too impresive for EL 10 encounters.

I'm pretty sure Obscuring Mist gives you a miss chance due to concealment, so it's not too desirable, plus it's not really a great spell, not Sorcerer material. Spider Climb is nice, and so is Expeditious Retreat (makes up for your bad Halfling speed).

All in all, you won't go very far with level one spells. The ones beyond those are the ones that will complement the Rogue the most (Invisibility, Blur, Acid Arrow, Cat's Grace).

[ November 10, 2003, 00:34: Message edited by: Oaz ]

6. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

What about things along the line of Prestidigitation and Mage Hand. Actully things like Mage Hand sounds very much like a rouge thing. And then there are things like Message, and Spider climb which are also very likely things for a rouge. Things like Alarm and Read Magic can also be very handy things to have.

Or Melvin could make himself closer to his companions hight with enlarge :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.