1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Which character is better? C/R or F/C multiclasses?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Klorox, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Which is a better primary healer/secondary tank in a full party: a Half-Elf Cleric/Ranger or a Dwarf Fighter/Cleric?

I have a Fighter/Druid in the party already, but I don't mind overlapping some spells after getting Ranger 6 in this character.

I guess it comes down to the better AC of the C/R (DEX 18) vs. the better HP of the F/C (CON 19) and better saving throws (Dwarf bonuses).

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 11 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Which character is better? C/R or F/C multiclasses? (11 votes.)

Which character is better? C/R or F/C multiclasses? (Choose 1)
    * Half-Elf Cleric/Ranger - 73% (8)
    * Dwarf Fighter/Cleric - 27% (3)

2. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

The Dwarf F/C will get a grand total of 4 HP more than the halfElf R/C.
    Compare that with a loss of 1AC, Druid spells, +4 attack bonus v/s favoured enemies, +1 attack/round when using a single-handed weapon without a sheild...

Guess to whom my vote goes :p

3. Westhardus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

+1 attack per round is reason why I say C/R and DEX 18 is better for using bows than 17.

4. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    A Cleric can't use a bow.
    A Ranger get an extra attack with a Large or Small Sword and no shield.

Still, I prefer the R/C for being able to use both Cleric and Druid spells. The Favoured Enemy is just the icing on the cake.

(There is a very interesting item in Kuldahar, a helmet, which can be used by Gnomes but I don't remember if Dwarves can take advantage of it).

5. Westhardus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

No, dwarves can't use this helmet, only gnomes and halflings.

6. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

He even gets an extra attack with a morningstar or any other 1-handed weapon.

The 18 dex for the half-elf isn't very useful if you have HoW since cat's grace lasts very long.

But the R/C is still better.

7. Klorox

Shrikant said:
    Actually, the Dwarf will get 9 more HP.

Westhardus said:
    Actually, both produce a +2 THAC0 with missile weapons. The difference comes when casting Draw Upon Holy Might.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I think I'll go with the Half-Elf Cleric/Ranger named Beornhelm (a cookie to anybody who can name the source!). ;)

8. Caradhras

Media:
    The PHBK? Now can I get my cookie! ;)

9. Klorox

Cookie for you!

My Bard is named "Cwell" also! :D

10. Caradhras

Media:
    Yummy! :)

"Cwell the Fine" :eek: my goodness that's a real trip into ADD nostalgia. :lol:

11. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Don't forget the +5 saving throw bonus for dwarves which helps much.

For roleplaying or normal "no reload" playing the dwarf is be the better choice since you'll hardly have your ranger/cleric cast druidic spells and the game will be over before he gets level4 druidic spells in HoW. The only low level druidic only spells which help much are entangle,sunscorch and spike growth.

The ranger/cleric has the better potential, you can (ab-)use powerful cheese once he's reached 4,200,000 XP (my party members had about 2,600,000 XP each when I finished the game after HoW and TotL).

12. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

If you have a fighter/druid multiclass in your party, a human ranger7/cleric is the best choice unless you play HoF.

13. Klorox

Hmmm, interesting idea, kmonster. I don't know if I'd like being without a Cleric for 7 levels of Ranger though. That would be a long time until getting some good spells!

14. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

A fighter/druid (or just plain druid) can solo the game pretty easily with HOW installed. Druids got an incredible upgrade with HOW.

For the record, anyone who puts a lot of value in the extra 1/2 melee attack a ranger gets in IWD is crazy, especially considering that archery is king in this game. Unless you have that druid with you, in which case, entangle (or web) + area damage spells will win the day.

15. Klorox

Killjoy, the reason for the C/R vs. the F/C in my party is just to find which one is more powerful. I have a F/D already.

The Charm Animals are nice, and it's cool to have a different XP advancement so that people level-up at different times. I know a F/C would level up faster, but the extra spells balance this out. I don't plan on using that extra 1/2 ApR.

Entangle is a great spell. Having two people who can cast it is even better.

16. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

If you play very easy or insane difficulty with a party of 6 the ranger will start dualing at level7 in chapter2 and will be still in chapter2 when he reaches level8 as cleric.

With normal difficulty dualing will be complete in chapter3.

There are not many good low level cleric spells. Most spells are useless since you can do more damage when fighting and the level dependent spells are too weak or short.

The only spells you'll really miss at the beginning are the healing spells but this can be covered by the druid and resting.
    The animate dead spell is also great later, but since it's level dependent the dualclassed version will soon be able to get better undead.

With an human level9 cleric>illusionist in your party you don't even have this problem.

17. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Half-Elf Cleric/Ranger. Not as good as in BG2 but still far more powerfull then dwarwen F/C. Also I hate dwarfs.

18. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

R/C ofcourse! With two stars in flails, this guy got 2+1/2 attacks per round at level 1 with a normal flail. This means 5 goblins are dead in 2 rounds!

Gotta love that! :love:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.