1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Which control item, like anti-virus, do you like?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Takara, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    [​IMG] What anti-virus, firewall etc do you prefer to go with? Some are more annoying, to me, then others. I tend to go with McAffee as they've always never caused me a problem.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 12 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Which control item, like anti=-virus, do you like? (12 votes.)

Which control item, like anti=-virus, do you like? (Choose 1)
    * McAffee - 25% (3)
    * Norton - 25% (3)
    * other like Zonealarm - 50% (6)

2. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Don't like norton or McAfee that much, although I prefer anything to Norton.

I use Trend as anti-virus, I have Black Ice firewalls, and various other anti-spyware, -malware, -adware and pop-up blockers. Touch wood I have ha d no virus, or other attacks yet.

3. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Zone Alarm

AVG (free addition)

Tons of Firefox extensions

4. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I prefer F-Secure Internet Security or Panda Internet Security. If I have to get something free, I use ZoneAlarm/AVG combo.

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Taking the Anti-virus scanners head to head, I'll take McAfee any day. The fact that I get it for free through my DSL subscription only makes it better! :thumb: :bigeyes:

I've never really liked Norton. Don't know why, I just don't. And as for ZoneAlarm's security suite...all I can say is that the free firewall is the only thing worth having from Zone Labs. They make one hell of a firewall, but their other software just can't compare to McAfee and Norton. :bad: :rolling:

6. Taza

Who does like Norton? o.O

I mean, the startkeylogger fiasco is enough for me to avoid using Norton.

@Kitrax: Ever tried F-Secure or Panda?

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I've installed (F-) :p F-Secure on my firend's computer and messed around with it for a bit, but I don't know how good it really is. And I think I've heard someone mention something about Panda...but they might have been referring to Panda Express. :bad:

Why? :rolling:

8. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I have one machine with Norton and one with Norman Anti-Virus and Firewall. Norton never gives me any trouble, Norman can be a pain in the extreme lower back at times.

I have also had McAfee on old machines - I still prefer Norman.

9. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Does it matter much. they all do the same. I heard a lot about nod32, might give it a try, but so far norton works.

the only thing that I really hate about the so called internetsuites, antivirus and the other stuff is that they do a bad job with spyware and adware.

When I pay 70 euro for norton internet security I want **** ing security, not just the virus, and hackers, but also the adware, spyware and browser hijackers.

10. Taza

@Kitrax: F-Secure Internet Security is a bit heavy, but it has a great firewall, great antivirus, decent antispyware (in 2005 anyway - apparently it's better in 2006), a rootkit detector (!), a site filter (which, uh, filtered even when off in 2005, but at least you could disable the filters completely)...

It's only problem is it being a bit heavy. Especially when using an alternative shell in w2k.

@Merlanni: Yes, it makes a LOT of difference which internet security suite you use. Generally, my listing goes: F-Secure is heavy and secure, Panda is apparently light and much recommended by others, McAfee is something I have not used, and Norton is plain crappy. :p

11. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I agree!

For spyware and adware, get Ad-Aware from Lavasoft, and I suggest you also download SpywareBlaster. SpywareBlaster runs in the background and neutralizes most spyware before it can even install. Both programs are freeware.

12. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Symantec AntiVirus Corporate - yes, even on my home PCs

Symantec Firewall

13. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I use ewido and ofcourse spywareblaster.

14. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Certainly not avast. Damn I hate this thing!

Firewall, Zone Alarm.

15. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    I have Zone Alarm, too

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.