1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Windows Vista: Yeah or yawn?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Disciple of The Watch, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

The computer building thread in which Vista got mentioned a few times inspired me for this poll. I'm curious to know how many of you are eagearly awaiting Vista, those who don't care, or those who think outside the box and are Linux users (such as myself).

Personally, I couldn't care less about Vista. I'm fed up of Winblows, and Linux has proven the answer to my M$ frustrations.

What about you, fellows SPers?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 3 question(s). 12 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Windows Vista: Yeah or yawn? (12 votes.)

Windows Vista: Yeah or yawn? (Choose 1)
    * Yeah! I'm eagearly looking foward to it! - 0% (0)
    * Meh, what's all the hype about? It's just a new Windows. - 50% (6)
    * :rolleyes: Right, more M$ trash. - 8% (1)
    * I couldn't care less about Vista. - 42% (5)

If you are a Windows user, which version are you using? (Choose 1)
    * Win 95 - 0% (0)
    * Win 98 - 0% (0)
    * Win ME - 0% (0)
    * WIn 2k - 17% (2)
    * Win XP - 83% (10)

If you aren't a Windows user, which alternative OS do you use? (Choose 1)
    * Linux (do name your distro) - 83% (10)
    * Mac OS (do name your version) - 17% (2)

2. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    You need some extra options in that poll. ;)

Don't really care about Vista.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Unless there's something about it that makes it exponentially better than Windows XP (which I've thus far had very few problems with) then no, I probably won't care all that much. I have friends who still run Windows98 for the same reason.

4. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    *spoilers* Windows XP's orders are given by mr.Bug, in Windows Vendetta, he's hopefully killed, it would be boring if he'd make a comeback :p .

It sems most of the 'new' stuff isn't really that important though and some even bad. Vista blocks all third party security programs!

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

How long will it be before we NEED to install Vista?

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You need to choose something for #3 and there's no neutral option, so all Windows users have to select Linux or MacOs. I don't care about Vista. Whatever. I just wish things were more compatible with Linux so I could switch over. Otherwise I don't care. XP isn't bad, neither was 98. ME or 2000... don't mention in my presence.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] The poll is flawed, as Chev has said... you are forced to answer question #3 in order to vote.

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    While the poll is flawed...you don't really need to think too hard on #3. It's Mac vs. Linux. Take Windows out of the picture, and I would be a Penguin...not some ugly apple with a bite already taken out of it. :p

As for the main question, I am looking forward to Vista...however, like new model year on cars, I would wait at least a year for the company to work out a lot of the kinks. In Vista's case, I also want to wait and see what the overall toll it will take on computers.

As my current situation stands, I don't *need* Vista. So I probably won't even consider it until after they release the SP1 for it. :rolling:

9. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

We have a BETA version of Vista Ultimate at work and it looks bloated for no good reason. Most of the time it gives you the impression of simply being a collection of nice graphics and special effects with a little functionality applied, instead of the other way around. Just after loading the initial services, and without any application open, the system is already using 490MB of RAM (after closing the annoying Gadget bar).

Between Linux and Mac (and if I had the money to buy a decent system) I'd stay with Mac. I use all versions of OS X at work, and all are absolutely painless to install and configure, as opposed to any Linux distro (just check DotW's Linux thread :p ), offering similar security options. As an OS, it's nearly foolproof, which is good if you share your computer with cavemen.

And where is Solaris in that poll? Many universities use it here...

[ October 25, 2006, 15:56: Message edited by: Colthrun ]

10. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Triple-boot system running Win98SE (more for the hell of it than any use really... the only thing I still run on it is Monty Python and the Holy Grail :lol: ), WinXP, and Knoppix 5. This by the way is also arranged in terms of time spent installing, with Knoppix being the only one that installed painlessly (XP didn't like not being on a primary partition).

@HB: Depending on whether you will upgrade because you NEED to or because MS tells you you need to. They'll cease support for XP a couple of years from now, and future versions of Office will not be compatible with XP. If you stick to older versions of Office and don't care much about XP support (you shouldn't), then you can keep using for at least the next 5 years, I think. As Death Rabbit mentionned, people still use 98 (works fine on my system, although it does take a poweruser to get it to install properly).

As you might have guessed, I'm not switching to Vista. Ever. I tried the beta, saw the hype, and decided my story with MS products will always end with the XP line. Office XP was the last one I tried; 2003 was unusuable on my P2, and is the reason I switched to OpenOffice (no regrets there). If WinXP ever becomes unusable, I already have a Linux base that's even easier to set up. I'll just switch to Linux. Practically the only thing I still use XP for is gaming, and out of habit really.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.