1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Polygamy in Bountiful, British Columbia

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Beren, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Apparently we have a few Warren Jeffs of our own on this side of the border:

http://www.sundreroundup.ca/article...off-despite-decision-endorsing&template=cpArt

Just to explain a little by way of legal background, the polygamists are arguing that the Criminal Code offence against polygamy violates their freedom of religion under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Even if a law is a prima facie violation of the Charter, that does not necessarily mean that the law will be struck down. Section 1 of the Charter allows governments to enact laws that impose reasonable restrictions on Charter rights and freedoms. And in this case, the judge appears to have made that kind of decision.

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    The libertarian in me doesn't understand pologamy laws. If a man can support multiple females and he finds multiple females that want to enter in to such an arrangement with him, then good for him. I don't understand why the government has any business getting involved. If you take out the concept of marriage isn't it legal for a single man to date multiple women at the same time (of course they may not know about each other). I can only guess that these laws were championed by women, to try to protect their exclusivity with a man.

The married man in me, can't figure out why any rational man would want multiple wives :)

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Morally I have no real objections to polygamy except that the way it is usually practised is inherently discriminative of women. The problems I see with it would be legal as that is and have more or less always been the main purpose of marriage, a legal contract between two people in many ways turning them into one person. Inheritance issues must be a pain.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bountiful is one of many communities in Canada settled by Mormons in the 1800's. It's not surprising polygamist off-shoots occur in those settlements just as they do in the US and Mexico.

5. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I guess that, and all the marriage-related legal issues, would be the main problem from a simply legalistic viewpoint. Of course, the state (like Soylent Green, or was it Soylent Red) is made out of people, and most people find polygamy to be upsetting, because they've been brought to regard a marriage as between two people - many would add, a man and a woman.

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] How come when polygamy comes up what they really mean is polygyny? :p

Most marriage laws were initially introduced as a direct result of inheritence laws changing. It would mean quite a big shakeup or deferring rights from secondary, tertiary etc spouses to the primary 'unit' unless a will was specifically written up.

I know in england bigamy is illegal (though that always implies two marriages to me, a serial bigamist just sounds wrong ;)) but if a second marriage occurs in a country where it is legal to have multiple married partners then it is only considered a valid marriage in terms of benefit claims (Much to public outcry)

IIRC doesn't California allow two legal marriages? One state and one religious ceremony can be performed for a person and be valid. How do other states handle that little chestnut?

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm not aware that California allows two marriages. As far as I'm aware you have to show proof that a marriage was dissolved before you can apply for another. But clergy are able to sign marriage licenses...

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    No state allows multiple marriages. However, the whole thing of 50 states and 50 different laws for marriages, is a whole can of worms. It usually doesn't involve bigamy - it's typically more about same sex marriages, age of consent and the like. But same sex marriages are the big one, as in some states allow them, and some states don't. The Federal government doesn't recognize same sex marriages either, so if you live in a state that does recognize them and you turn in your tax returns at the end of the year, you check the "married" box for your state taxes, and the "single" box for the federal taxes. It's a mess.

9. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Yeah, having a nosy online can't actually find anything to support the california thing, one of my friends studying law at Southampton had it in one of her textbooks, going to have to try and get the name of it and check it up in the library, it's probably a stupid and old loophole a particular author used to make a point.

I honestly think polygamous relationships aren't too bad an idea, I can see them being a legal mess, but marriage already is in most of the modern world.

Apparently the Nazis planned for legalizing polygyny as they estimated around four million unmarried or widowed women would lack for a partner due to the losses of the second world war. But I'm guessing that's more going to be used as an argument *against* polygamy because of those who tried to formulate it as a good idea :p

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

In principle polygamy is not really that big a deal -- it assumes that a man can have more than one wife and can look after both the wives and the offspring that come from it. It can be just the thing a society needs in the event of a shortage of men.

What these Bountiful douchebags are doing is a whole other kettle of fish. It's systematic rape, coercion, kidnapping, and abuse. There is no societal need at this time for polygamy, and there is NEVER a need for little girls to be treated as cattle. These filthy perverts are nothing more than a blight on the landscape, and they need to be smashed, hard, to the ground.

It's despicable and I am pissed right off that the government has not taken strong action against them.

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That's not usually the motivation -- in fact, I've never heard of a credible instance where such concerns led to polygamy.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.