1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Preferences on stats

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Elios, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Ok, this applies to all types of roll playing games, PC, game consoles and paper & pen. The focus is on the stats. Do you like the games where you basically get your stats and they remain unchanged throughout the life of your character, or they can only be changed by magical items, etc? Or do you prefer the games where you get your stats and you can increase them as your character's level advances?

2. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Good question... I think I'm indifferent about this. I don't pay attention to the stats too much if they go up every level. (Especially early in the game where leveling up is quicker, and stats change more often.) I tend to focus more on hit points and magic points gained when leveled up.

Depending on the game, if the stats go up randomly, sometimes I reload! This can be sooo frustrating. :mad: So if I can't sit on the fence on this one, I'll lean to the unchanged stats side.

3. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I normally dont mind in computer games if they change or not, but in my P'N'P games, I like to have certain bits of the game where it is possible to affect your stats.

A prime example is where one of the characters in my game decided to earn some money by working in some mine's for over a year. He was kinda despererate to buy something, I can't remember what. Anyway, by the end of it, his repeated use of heavy items and equipment, and the poor air conditions and limited food caused a +1 strength, and a -1 constitution.

A little harsh, but don't forget the 'black lung'

Its also possible in my game's to actually say "I want to increase my strength out of session." I normally prevent them from playing a game until I feel that it has been long enough so that he will come back woth an increased stat score.

I taek AD&D to some strange levels.

4. Herf Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I prefer it when stats change through the character's own actions and NOT through magical or other means. For instance, in the rules we play (The Stormbringer Rules, based around Michael Moorcock's 'Elric' series) it's only possible to increase your stats through hard work and determination.

The rules are like this: The stat roll is 3d6, this means the average stat will be 10 or 11. For a very simple task, like dragging a desk over a floor, the GM will call for a Strength x5 roll. (The system is based on %) So we take our strength, times it by five for a result of 50 or 55 (lets just take it as 50 for now) and roll on percentile dice, if we get 50 or below then we've done it. If we get 51 or above, we failed.

Now, lets say that a character is trapped in a tomb blocked by a large stone. He wants to try and move that stone, the GM calls for a Strength x1 roll. The player's face shows shock and dismay, he has 10% chance. He rolls. If he fails, well, unless other aid comes, he's dead. If he makes it, the stone moves away and he's free. He also gets a tick beside his strength. When the adventure is over and he can rest he is permitted to roll 2d6. If the result lands on a 7 then his strength has increased by 1.

Very fair rules I think.

Of course, where Sorcery involved the stats go up so much quicker... But that's a tale for another day.

So I guess I like games where your stats can change...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.