1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Prestige Class Hit Die?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Lokken, Sep 30, 2001.

1. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

If a prestige class upgrades your hit die, do you reroll your base class hp?

a lvl 5 sorcerer chooses 1st lvl of Dragon Diciple, recieving a 1d6 HD from the DD. Does this apply only to the prestige class or the base class as well?

2. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I'd say this only applies to subsequent DD levels and not to the previous sorcerer or mage levels. Consider the prestige class "just another class" in terms of multiclassing. Your old HD that you rolled stay the same; when you take a DD level, you roll 1d6 for that level only. If you take a fighter level after that, you roll 1d10 only for that level. Never go back and readjust your hit die just because you take a new and differnt class level with a differnt HD. Just add the new Hp to your old score.

3. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

well if you consider to take it all full, your race change to dragon and your hit die change to 1d12. I guess that would affect your character no matter what classes he might have

4. Caleb_Eveningfall Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I think you only get those hit die with DD. If did 1st lvl DD and were a 5th lvl Sorcerer and then went back to become a 6th lvl Sorcerer you would only get a d4 for the Sorcerer lvl, not the new DD d6.

5. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

From Tome and Blood:

Hit Die Increase:As a dragon disciple gains levels in this prestige class, his dragon nature expresses itself more. His base Hit Die type increases at 1st, 4th, and 6th level. This is not a retroactive benefit: Beginning at the appropraite level, the dragon disciple rolls for hit points with the increasd Hit Die type.

I think that about says it all. My vote is the HD increase is retroactive, applying only to new levels in the prestige class after the apropriate number. Afterward, if he takes on levels after gaining the half dragon template, then perhaps the new HD apply regardless of class. It's hard to say, but I don't think the HD increase is retroactive in any event.

[This message has been edited by Crawl (edited October 01, 2001).]

6. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I think Crawl covered that nicely. New level only effect that level, i.e. the hit dice you gain are only for that level. If you were to go back and earn another level of mage you would only get the d4 of HD. Each increase in HD for the DD prestige class only cover that level (and later ones if explicit stated).

7. Vanadin Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

If you don a template you would get the HD raise retroactively. For example, take a look at the Lich (or Vampire) template in the MM. The sample lich is an 11th-level wizard, but his Hit Dice is 11d12 (+3 from toughness).
    I don't have the Tome and Blood, but I assume you become a half-dragon at level 10 DD. The Halfdragon is a bit special, giving not a specific HD but rather one level higher, so if a character in my campaign became a full half-dragon (there's an oxymoron for ya) I'd let him reroll all the way with one dice higher than he had before.

Like this:
    5 lvls sorcerer: 5d6
    lvls 1-3 DD: 3d8
    lvls 4-5 DD: 2d10
    lvls 6-10 DD: 5d12
    thereafter: one higher than character class

8. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

ok, yeah it goes something like that, a bit different on the hit die with Tome and blood, but I get your point. But what about the last 5 levels of sorcerer after having 10 leves in DD. Would they be 1d6 or 1d12?

9. Vanadin Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'd make the HD dependant on class, so a sorcerer would get 1d6. Woe the Dragon Disciple who multiclasses to Barbarian and gets d20 HD. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.