1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Prestige Class

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Ofelix, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Why Prestige Class has a Maximum of ten level? Some prestige class get be acces at level 5 but when you reac level 15 (5/15) what do you do?! I would love if Prestige class could go has high has level 15

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Because a Prestige Class is a specialized form of the core classes. A level 8 Fighter/level 2 Blackguard will call himself a Blackguard, despite the fact that he has more levels in Fighter. A Prestige shouldn't be treated as a normal class, but an extension of the core classes. Thus, they are limited to 10 classes maximum.

If you are in a Epic Level (Level 20+) campaign, then you (if you are the DM) or your DM should allow Prestige Classes to extend beyond 10. The Epic Prestige Classes in the DMG are explained in the Epic Level Handbook. Epic Prestige Classes for the Prestige Classes found in Tome & Blood, Sword & Fist, Defenders of the Faith, and Masters of the Wild can be found on the Wizards website.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    But what happens if you're a 5 lev. base class and 10 lev prestige one? Do you then get normal base class levels? And what if you're a pally forbidden from advancing as a pally when he gets level in some prestige classes?

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31

If Chevalier is a Paladin 5/Holy White Warrior* 10, and levels up, he cannot take further levels in either class. So his only choices are to take a level in a core class or take on a new Prestige Class.

Of course, there are certain Prestige Classes that allow a Paladin (or Monk) to continue to advance in Paladin (or Monk) levels, despite the fact that they have taken on a new class.

*Name of a Prestige Class

5. chevalier

Media:
    Holy White Warrior? Hmm... Elaborate on the subject :)

I don't know this class, but sounds nice. I once made a White Knight kit for SoA and generally I'm the White Knight kind of pally ;)

6. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Bah, just some name that sounded right for a Prestige Class that I pulled out of the air. ;)

If you want some Paladin-appropriate Prestige Classes, I suggest checking out Defenders of the Faith .

[ January 06, 2003, 19:38: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

7. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I think that the new tainted prestige class allows more than 10 levels, not sure though.

8. chevalier

Media:
    @c'Jakob: I've read DoF :) I just hoped you had some additional class :(

9. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Well, no- there should be some extension of the prestige class. Where it leaves off, your DM and you should be able to fill in. It only goes to 10 because it doesn't expect too many people will go epic, but if you did, you'd have to come up with something to extend that, or let the character continue as a paladin. "Use your imagination," is basically what they're saying by limiting it to 10 levels. If you've been playing DnD long enough to get to level 16, you should have some inkling about how to extend that prestige class or should be willing to allow the character to maybe take another, similar prestige class.

Amon-Ra

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.