1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Problem with Icewind Dale...

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Enagonios, Apr 14, 2001.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Don't get me wrong, I loved this game. But (as Bowie the goblin chief mentioned) there is no interaction whatsoever. In BG2 you could skip out on lots of areas, not that you would unless you were a wuss, but the fact was: that you COULD. In BG1? Even MORE so. You only HAD to go to a few places. Nashkell, the mines, back to beregost, the bandit camp, the forests before Davaeorn and then to Baldur's Gate itself! Everything else was just an Extra! But In IWD, unlike in BG, but VERY MUCH like Diablo2, you HAD to DO something to MAKE something happen ALWAYS. You didn't have a choice in the matter. That, an there were WAY fewer areas and almost NO subplots. Mindless following sucks, dudes. We need choices.

2. Marek Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

well, i guess that's becasuse IWD was intended to be more of a fighting game. i still enjoyed playing it, because even if the battle level wasn't usually very high, there were so many battles some were fun and took a little planning. IWD doesn't reach BG1/2 level, and i don't think it was meant to.

3. StormRider Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I just started playing IWD yesturday, I am in the Vale of Shadows. It is fun, but I miss the NPC AI, it just dosen't seem as fun. I like it thought.

4. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I agree that IWD has too few choices in what to do. But you have wrong in Diablo 2. There are some quests there which you don't have to perform in order to complete the game. Like the one with the book in act 3.

But for choises I present to you the Might and Magic series. I have only played number 6, 7 and 8, but the game complex is all the same. You have one major quest which you have to complete in order to save the world, but around you have dozens of quests which you can do mainly for experience for your charachters and also for pure enjoyment. In all Might and Magics there are many places to go, many caves, fortresses, lairs etc. to visit. In M&M 7 you can even choose between to completly different major quests which completes the game. One is good, one is evil. M&M forever!

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Yeah Mollusk :) That point hasn't escaped my notice, but I mean in general terms.

6. stargazer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Don't get me wrong but I kinda liked the linear way in which IWD forces you to play.
    I'm not saying that wandering freely and choosing the order of your quests yourself isn't more realistic or interesting but IWD is more like a detective story where you follow the clues one by one. If anyone has played the adventure game 'Discworld Noir' they should know what I'm talking about.
    Btw, when you take on a mission to save the world you should stick to that quest and then take care of anything else.

7. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Iwd Is a masterpiece!!! BG1 and 2 just don't have the graphics, spell animations, cool music, etc.. Personally I always thought the battles also went much smoother and were more fun. Once they are able to combine the interaction with the beauty and playablity of Icewind..it will once again reinvent game playing. It will happen soon I hope..I loved BG1...B2 was good...but sometimes I seemed rushed to finish things I wasn't in the mood for...

I think a big part of role-playing games is giving you the option of either doing a side quest...kicking a main bosses but...or just kicking some a--...I'm usually in one mood or the other and want to be able to do anyone of these things whenever I get in the mood. Seemed forced to do some of the side quests before I was ready...Liked all the games a lot though. There's always room for improvement in all the games..

[This message has been edited by GONMAR (edited April 19, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by GONMAR (edited April 19, 2001).]

8. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Actually, when I mentioned no interaction in IWD I was probalbly talking about between your party members. Like, there's no chance of romances or the drama of, for example, the harpers quests when Jarhira's in your party in BG2.

I prefer the directness of gameplay in IWD. I'm playing BG1 now and I'm in Cloakwood. It took me one day to get from the prologue to chapter three. Then I explored everything I could before going to the bandit camp, and it took me over a week to get to the next chapter. And during that whole week, aside from the occasional party of bandits you run into, none of the quests or enemies have anything to do with your main goal. I feel like I'm wandering around aimlessly just so I can level my characters up (because that's exactly what I'm doing).

But, that's just my opinion. Just point me to the guy I gotta kill and I'll go, while killing everything that gets in my way.

[This message has been edited by Bowie (edited April 19, 2001).]

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] I like to clear all the areas, if possible. less loose ends that way ;) Like, this character can't attack you when you're wounded HERE if you had killed her while you were over THERE (i.e. Tamoko) ;)

10. Guderyon Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I like to clear everything. No loose ends. Noone to sneak up and do me harm later on!

11. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] That was the main part of BG1, just running around killing monsters and solving minor quests for villagers etc. Lots of gold, experience and cool items around in the woods. That's how we like it!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.