1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Problems with Firkraag?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by StressedE, Oct 21, 2001.

1. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I heard some people having problems with firekraag.
    I managed to defeat him recieving only a total of 15 damage.
    Here's what I did.

1. cast chain contigency (scroll will do) or cast limited wish and ask to be prepared for anything. Memorize lower resistance x3 target nearest enemy on enemy sighted.
    2. place a fighter near firekraag so your mage won't recieve a beating.
    3. cast lower resistance on firekraag he will become an enemy and trigger the contigency. In my case it was resistance lowered 25% x4 = 100%.
    4. Cast finger of death

That's all I had to do...

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

[​IMG] That sounds rather expensive using such a scroll just for that. Why not just use the set a lot of traps around him trick.

Or cloudkill into the fog-of-war. You might even handle him without losing any hp at all.

Or the total secure one, import the kill sword and kill him in ONE HIT

I mean like, WOW, one hit!?!?!? amazing huh?

What...you don't agree? ah well, worth the shot eh? :rolleyes:

3. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Does this mean I have been lugging around all these swords and wands for nothing? :D

Joke aside, I always found Firkraag to be surprisingly easy. The greater wolfweres upstairs, on the other hand....

[This message has been edited by JohnnyRTFM (edited October 21, 2001).]

4. StressedE Gems: 15/31

I didn't use a scroll, I cast limited wish.
    I was just indicating you don't have to be the same level I was when I got there

5. Icecold39 Banned

Firkaag is tough if you fight him at a low lvl. your party should be around 10. What lvl were you when you fought Firkaag? I founf the greater werewolves alot easier.

And what you did with the limited wish stuff. that is kind of cutting yourself short of a greaty battle

[This message has been edited by Icecold39 (edited October 22, 2001).]

6. Palpatine- Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hmm, using the killsword is problably the most stupid thing you can do, if youre not a bloody cheater, come on! Cheating through a game!
    Whats the meaning with playing it at all if you must cheat?

oh well...
    I'm in Firkraags "dungeon" right now and im gonna try to kill him with my lvl 9-10 party, well, i dont think its gonna be easy, but what the hell! Firkraag is dead... Muahahahahahahahah!
    :)

7. StressedE Gems: 15/31

I dunno what level I was, but I was pretty high. I went through all the underdark n stuff.
    The thing is: I wanted to see how much damage finger of death would do on such a strong creature. It wasn't my even my intention to kill him. I wanted to know how usefull a mage would be if I'd lower his resistance. I only had one fighter as diversion. The rest was standing behind my mage. I was like lets cast lower resistance and see if we can use a mage then I'll re-load it and attack him.

I had no trouble with the greater wolfwere or werewolf or whatever.

8. icarusX Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I beat the red dragon with swords. I did not lower his resistance, did not use magic except for defensive. He was still easy. The shadow dragon I beat with one punch, gotta love Quivering Palm.

RD

9. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Palpatine-: Lokken was ironic, because he obviously wasnt impressed with StressedE's Tactic and he put it on the same place as using the Killsword because he thinks that is as much cheating as the posted tactic.
    And if you just plan it a little Firkraag isn't that hard.

10. StressedE Gems: 15/31

And why would this be cheating?

It's not like it's an unrealistic approach.
    It's much more realistic than the setting 100 traps tactic, because he would see you sneeking around setting traps

You tell him you'll go away.
    You go away and prepare yourself.
    You came back cast one spell which also triggers the other 3 and then with a little diversion you cast another spell.

I don't get it as soon as you find a way to effectively beat an enemy everybody is saying you're a lamer.

You guys should be playing a game where all you can do is press a button attack. Now there's a challenge. load it 3000 times to be able to defeat the end boss. Sounds great eh? no items because they make you too strong. No spells because they are too powerfull. Just that one button attack. No views because you can go downstairs to avoid a spell and it is unrealistic to get out of the area of effect when someone is casting a spell. I mean everybody would just wait for that fireball to crash right into them right? I know I would.

I'm not saying you should exploit every bug in the game, but just don't complain about using spells like finger of death because the computer uses it too, and it results in a reload. I hate spells which kill enemies or myself in one strike, but they are in the game so if you don't use them the only thing you'll be doing is giving yourself a disadvantage in fighting, because they'll still use it even you don't.

The whole idea was to give people new insights in how to weaken the enemy.
    Not neccesarily use the exact same tactics. Using the lower resistance thing and then casting another offensive spell would also be fine, but where do you draw the line? finger of death? Crom? Flail of ages? fist?

11. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

It's cheesy because you attacked him when he wasn't hostile.

12. Thomas Covenant Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Only prob with that tactic is that you play it from your, players point of view, when you know dragon will get hostile, and not from your characters point of view (unless you are an assasin and have thing for killing even non-hostile creatures $).
    But, role-playing or not, I like using nmes strenghts in their disadvantage, ie Firkaarg, monumental magic resistance - you do what ? Kick him with lower res, greater malison, and point finger at him. Sure, why not. Same about liches; are you undead ? Yea. Good, I'll whip out my prot from undead, and prot from magics. Who's your daddy now ?
    Despite that beeing cheesy tactics in some players eyes, I find it lamer to play on cloudkill or traps (traps are ok if you plan in advance then lure nme into it). So, power-gamer or not, spell-freak or head-on guy, you do your best to kill anything with red circle under it. I say go for it :)

Oh, Extremist, just saw it days ago: imas pivo i od mene, ali lasko :D

13. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Exactly. It is one thing to wait until the dragon has become hostile, then hit him with the spells. That is using good strategy. It is just harder to get off your spells when the dragon is hostile and attacking.

14. StressedE Gems: 15/31

Hmm, you have a point, but again it was never the intention to finish him off..
    Surprise attack isn't unrealistic either I'd think.

15. Xuncle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

hmmmm, well let's take a look at this - red dragon in a cavern (where he can't fly out of range of melee attacks) who wants to chat first (giving you the first chance to strike if you want to fight) - looks to me like the game has been written to give you a chance of actually defeating it at a (relatively) low level. Whether you use magic or traps or whatever, the point is that the storyline is giving you the initaitive, so use it.

Incidently, I used my standard anti-mage tactic: Summon up some pets, send them in so that all the mage's (in case dragons') spells get cast against them then attack with a backstabbing thief, lower reistance and greater malison spells, etc.

16. mannedoc Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I just caste lower magic a few times, lightning bolt, some protective spells for my partys, two strong fighters attacking him… the usual. However, I also summon a phase spider, and it was of great help, took to the dragon some time to destroy the spider, time enough for my warriors to beat him.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.