1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Programming Languages

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Argohir, May 22, 2006.

1. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

In my university, Java is taught freshmen as a programming language. It seems good enough but I want to hear your ideas about programming languages. Which is the best and which are good for doing what(for example for making games or for web based applications). I think Java is good for web applications and C++ is good for making games. I didn't make a poll because there are so many of them. Now... ideas?

2. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I'm learning Java at my university. It's an excellent language to start with; it's rather similar to C++, but with many more basic classes built in, so less has to be actually coded. Memory usage is also much simpler. If you learn Java, you'll be in a good position to pick up C++ very quickly.

To put it into context, I've almost finished two straight semesters of learning Java, and in the beginning of June I get one week of lectures and lab sessions (20 hours) in C++, and after that I'll be capable of doing much the same in it as I can in Java.

I also learned Python for a semester. It's a very simple language, and fast, but Java has the rigid structure that makes it much better for beginners.

3. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

I have had courses in Assembly, C#, VHDL and Visual Basic and also done some projects in all of them. Basically all of them are for different uses but... VHDL was maybe the nicest one to work with but also the most frustrating.

Oh... I also hate programming, which is why I will not even try to learn anything more than I have to.

4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Having programmed for 2 years with Java, I can tell you that you should avoid it like the plague. (no pointers... next!)
    Same advice goes for C++, which has a very bad function pointer system, and my programming style with this type of language is all about having fun with data and function pointers, so I couldn't work with that.

So I would suggest C, if you can do Java, you'll have absolutely no problems with C, the syntax is almost exactly the same, except it is not object-orientated, which can be a good thing.

BTW, there is hardly any difference between Java, Python, C[++/#], Basic, PHP, ASP and whatnot(well okay, their applications differ), since they are all imperical languages. Meaning that you'll have to tell the interpreter/compiler every freaking step, because it is too dumb to figure out the rest for itself.
    Unlike Prolog and Lisp, both used for AI programming, Lisp is even used by NASA for their spaceprograms.

So try Common Lisp for a change, it strips away all the syntax nonsense and leaves only the programming-stuff, such as recursion, interpreting, metalinguistic abstraction and even allowing you to handle functions as data, which is mega-awesome.
    It is not a difficult language, absolutely not, there is only one entity in the syntax, and that is Reversed Polish Notation, so it's like a game of Go, you learn the rules in 30 seconds, and you have endless possibilities with strategies.
    As a matter of fact, universities like MIT even use Lisp for the programming classes. With the Opencourseware project you can even download the videos and the book (like I have) and study it for yourself.

The problem I have with other languages is that at some points I hit a wall, I have an idea which I can't express(at which point I start cussing to the computer).
    For example, two months ago, I had designed a large program for C++, but when I was programming it, I got loads of compiler errors, turns out that C++ doesn't support function pointers, only member pointers, and that just nullifies the whole idea of function pointers.

In Lisp I don't have that, it is so abstract that I can explain everything without work-arounds. It's true that Lisp doesn't have pointers(because pointers are workarounds), but the syntax is so abstract that that is not a problem.

[ May 23, 2006, 20:19: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I learnt BASIC as a kid and COBOL at university. And computers didn't crash in those days. Poke. Ooh, and that Apple language that made the turtle move around the screen . . . was that LOGO?

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    C++ absolutely supports pointers to functions as well as pointers to members.

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    It does, but I also had to state to which class this member function belonged, and what I had was an interface between multiple threads used by a dozen of different classes using callbacks(hence the function pointers)

[ May 23, 2006, 22:01: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

If you have to study some programming language, you might as well choose a cross-OS compatible one. Like MONO. This way all your apps work on all systems.

9. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Next year I will learn C++ at university and it is very similar to Java and it is the most widespread one I think.

And AFAIK Java can work on different OS (at least in windows and Linux IIRC)

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yes, the turtle was LOGO. Dear god, I feel old... I knew that thing inside and out. :geezer:

11. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Considering that when I learned programming, Fortran and Cobol were still actively in use, along with BASIC, and Pascal was the new kid on the block, I feel older than you Tal. :p

12. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    My brush with programming was brief. It bored me. The hardware was more interesting to me.
    However I do date back to Fortran, Cobol and Basic. So I guess dmc and I are the same age. :geezer: :p

I did like basic and all the fun I had messing with the old dos files.

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I designed a whole Hangman game entirely in LOGO.. It was brilliant, although it was a bit slow toward the end when the poor old turtle had to redraw the whole gallows and man each time you got a letter wrong.

14. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

First time hearing anything about turtle logos and WTFuxor... :hmm:

15. Harbourboy

Bah. You aren't a real programmer until you have programmed the turtle on LOGO.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.