1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ps1 Games in a Ps2 console?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Enagonios, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] i've heard that if you played a PS1 game in a PS2 console, the graphics gets better or something. is this true? Bec. I'm getting a hankering to play FFVII and actually finish it this time around...

2. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

There is an option to do something ('Enable smoothing' or something similar) but I can't recall it having much of an effect. I don't play my old PSX games much however.

3. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Never heard about it, but it would be kewl. I was planing on playing some old psone rpg's soon

4. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I've been playing the Final Fantasies on my PS2, and I avent seen that option anywhere.

You might want to take an opinion from someone more informed however.

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31

If you want better PSX graphics get an emulator and play the game on your PC. ePSXe is what I use and after some tweaking the graphics are improved tenfold. Also allows you to up the frame rate so you can skip certain boring bits of games and you can save anywhere using the save-state system.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Sparhawk - where did you find that option?

7. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31

It's in the menu when you boot up the games without a disc in it. Boot up, press triangle, select the playstation driver, press triangle, enable smooth texture mapping.

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

right, thanks.

9. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

There is actually a difference, but it's extremely hard to notice. Most things on ps1 tend to look "square," in FFVII the battlegrounds tend to be have squares all over, but with that option they will be "slightly" faded, and thus, it looks smoother. Extremely little though, you hardly notice when you play at all.

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

oh, hassle. I suppose the same will go for FFVIII and tactics as well? Only ones I've ever finished were IX and X and everyone keeps telling me that VII and VIII are much better, so I figure I'd better get started on finishing them before XII comes out. What a hassle that XI could only be played on the net, didn't want to buy a $90 PS2 modem just for 1 game... and im not too sure if the multiplayer coverage extends here to the philippines.

11. Abomination Gems: 26/31

@ Enagonios: FFVIII is not much better. It is probably the worst Final Fantasy ever made with enemy level scaling and boring powergaming process. Sure, the FMVs are good and Quistis is hot but thats about it...

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

lol quistis? i usually hear from rinoa fans haha. really? the aura ability is kind of awesome though, AFAIK it's the only FF game that enables you to trigger your Trance/limit break with an inventory item. it's worse than IX? (which, among my circle of friends, has acquired the rep as the worst FF game ever.)

13. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

FF IX is one of the best in my opinion, great story (although it's much like FF VII) and great graphic, but if you don't like the anime like characters, then I guess it sucks. FFVIII is the worst FF ever ( well ff x-2 is just as bad), the only good things about FFVIII is the graphic and the music ( and Quistis as Abomination said), the story is one of the worst ever and almost all the main characters are morons.

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

i didnt dislike IX like all my other friends did, i just found it too d*mn predictable.. kuja and zidane being brothers, the princess being the last summoner.. and oh my god, what kind of "last boss" was that? i mean, out of nowhere there's this "eternity" boss or something. geeeez. The eidolon's were pretty kewl though. the sole exception being Ramuh hehe. I haven't finished VIII yet but from what I heard, the story IS pretty bad, but most of my friends enjoyed it. btw, has anyone noticed how square has been altering their "protagonist profile"?
    FFVII - Cloud - strong,silent type. sullen and brooding
    FFVIII- Squall - see above
    FFIX - Zidane - happy go lucky cheerful extrovert
    FFX - Tidus - see above

just an observation on my part.

15. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31

Playing a monkey man wasn't really my cup of tea. The only thing I now remember about FF9 (except suddenly being attacked by Neocron or something out of nowhere at the end of the game) is a cool FMV where a giant mouth creature destroyed a city. Then I could summon that creature and it was not nearly as effective.

FF8 was alright, but the magic system was stupid. A bat has natural magic, but you have to steal it from every weak creature you find? Please.

16. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Lol Enagonios I do almost agree with you, although I quit liked FF IX even though it was predictable and yes the last boss sucked, there is like one or to obscure places he is mentioned and I didn't even really notice them the first time trough. And your observation about the characters is almost true, it should be.
    FFVII - Cloud - strong,silent type. sullen and brooding
    FFVIII- Squall - see above, but lame
    FFIX - Zidane - happy go lucky cheerful extrovert
    FFX - Tidus - see above, but lame

Squall is a moron, period. he even says it himself (well he says, "I dreamt I was a moron", well Squall it was no dream).
    I liked Tidus, but his cloth is weird and he ain't got a tail so Zidane beats him ;)

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

haha, dude, don't the similarities between Zidane and sayyy Goku from Dragon Ball Z strike you?

Zidane - good alien from a superior (genome) race with tails. has evil brother (kuja)
    Goku - good alien from a superior (saiyan) race with tails. has evil brother (raditz)

i smell a lawsuit..

As to Tidus, Jecht was right, he just whined too d*mn much, although i shed a tear for him in the end hehe. And yea, his clothes were weird. but hey, who tells a star athelete what to wear, right?

if compared to zidane, squall has the advantage of having a better cast of characters. zidane's party just reeks. lets enumerate (the ones i remember)
    Vivi - the black mage looking for love, he looked like the scarecrow, but was looking for the tin man's heart.
    Garnet - not much to slam except that it WAS kind of predictable (who she was, etc.)
    Steiner - uptight body guard, he was the best of the bunch as he could provide a few laughs
    Freya - "Dragon Knight" from a RAT species? yerg.
    The guy with the brass knuckles - he was so crappy i dont remember his name
    Eiko - dont really remember her, but i rmember her Holy ability was strong.

did i miss anyone? i dont really remember...

at least squall had quistis and rinoa hehe. although the cowboy kinda sucked..

btw, in FFIX when you summon Odin he says "Zantetsuken" does this actually mean anything? like Squall's "Renzokuken" ability?

hehe sorry this is incoherent, im switching back and forth from my research paper.

18. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Vivi looked like the blackmages from the first FF (and later FF's). Vívi and the other blackmagedolls are dressed like old FF Blackmages which I liked. Steiner as cool, he was just so damn arrogant. Freya was one of my Favorite Characters, she lost most of her people and her one true love had lost his memory. The guy with the brass knuckles (Amarant), was boring, he got über powerful, but his story was boring, Eiko as all manga/anime spoiled child characters annoyed me. Garnet/Dagger was a predictable but nice Character although I actually used Eiko more :) .
    And yes the Zidane/goku similarities crossed my mind to.

Why Odin says Zantetsuken I don't no, but as far as I remember he said it in FF4 (ff2 in US) to. Guess it's tradition, like his horse, missing two legs.(In Norse mythology Odins horse Sleipner has eighth legs, in FF it has six). In FF IX there are a lot of references to older FF games.

PS: What do you mean by Squall had better company in Rinoa? Rinoa Sucked and not in the good way. 99% of the time during the game, Rinoa screwed up and needed to be saved. I hate Rinoa, Quitis was so much cooler, they should have made it optional who you wanted to date. like in FF VII

19. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I don't want to ruin your party, but this topic is supposed to be about PS1 games in the PS2. Oh, and I love 9, and I'm still playing through it. It's not as predictable as you guys say, and reading just one post here ruined a part of the story for me. :(

20. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Sorry about ruining part of the story, but the conversation just took a twist and ended there.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.