1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

PS2 -Baldur's Gate DA II - playability of bonus character - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Blue, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Blue Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Contains SPOILERS if you haven't unlocked bonus characters yet:

I have unlocked Drizzt in my game. Although I'm pleased about all the combat feats he can receive, there are some things that are not right with him - at least not if he is to be played in single player mode.

First, Summoning. He usually has Guenwhywar to assist him in fights, so he should have a summon panther spell - which should work much like the necromancer's skeleton. Alternatively, he should have the Ranger spell Charm animal, which could work on lesser enemies like wolves, goblins etc. The 'real' Drizzt used this ability a few times.

Second, Weapons. He cannot use any other weapons that his own scimitars - which is true to the character for melee. But even the 'real' Drizzt sometimes used a bow, so why can't he equip one? (Alternatively, equip a crossbow, since this is the preferred ranged weapon for Drow.) This makes it impossible for him to have a decent ranged attack (when he can't have Catti-Brie and her magic bow with him)- except that puny ice ball. It also makes it impossible to assign to him any other elemental damage than Cold - which among other things makes fights with trolls impossible. Even though gloves can have weapon abilities, they only work when the character is unarmed, which Drizzt cannot be.

Third, Spells/Feats. He only has two spells, Repulse(sp?) and Icy sphere. Now, the 'real' Drizzt does also only have two spells, but they were Darkness and Faire fire. Darkness wouldn't be of much use in this game, but why couldn't they at least have given him a Fire spell to resemble Fairie fire? Even 'real' Drizzt used that to help him when fighting trolls...

It's also unnatural for a Ranger, and especially for Drizzt, not to have Sneak/Hide feats.

Besides, I was dissappointed that Ulora, the drow in the tavern, didn't have any special comments for him - either because she recognized him, or simply because a drow male dared to approach her when she was in disguise...

My impression is that Drizzt would excell in a multiplayer game with a spell caster - and I will try to test it out in a week or so. But do anybody else have any thoughts/experiences about playing him in single mode?

[ February 21, 2004, 16:57: Message edited by: Blue ]

2. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

That's a pretty goood point you bring up. One of the reasons I never really played Drizzt that much in the first game and in the second is because his limitations. In the first game, his weapons just sucked. They're a little better in the second game. I played him a little bit, and he does have some more spells in the sequal. The other unlockable has a few cool spells too. I haven't discovered it yet, or seen anything written about it, but I am hoping that there may be a quest that appears for Drizzt and Artemis once they are unlocked.

3. Blue Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I hope so too. After all, why go through the trouble of creating bonus characters that are 'real' characters in the Forgotten Realms universe, if they don't make them true to the character? It isn't any fun to struggle through the extreme mode just to receive the "prize character" - if the prize is less usable than the ordinary characters.

I will continue a Drizzt single mode, to see if there will turn up anything interesting, and to explore his playability when his feats develop. I will also start a multiplayer game with him and the cleric or necromancer - he can do nicely as a tank I presume.

But as you say, when both characters are unlocked, I would get really dissappointed if they didn't give them *some* kind of aknowledgement in the form of a special quest or *at least* some special conversation.

On a side note - I shudder to think of all the inaccuracies regarding the drow sisters - apparently half sisters with the same father(!) A female drow munk - she would of course be a priestess - and would fight with a snake whip, because she would be the daughter of a matron mother if she is an heir to a house. It is also highly unlikely that a matron mother would have shared her male slave lovers with anybody else, especially not with any other powerful females in her house, making the mere concept of the half sisters having the same father ridicolous. I must admit I haven't played the munk much yet - I generally don't like playing munks - so I don't know if this will be better explained in some later quest for her.

4. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I haven´t gotten my paycheck yet this month so I haven´t been able to buy it.

I just want to know what I have to look forward to.
    New classes and such, please, do tell :)

5. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

6. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Thanks a bunch :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.