1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Question about Polymorph...

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Viper3220, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Viper3220 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

There's a Sorcerer in our group as of now... and everything is fine.... until he chooses to use the Polymorph spell to turn himself into an Iron Golem...
    couple of questions...
    1. how does polymorph work? Do you get the stats of the creature you're turning into? or the stat bonuses of the creature you're turning into?
    Right now he is using tenser's transformation then polymorphing into an iron golem and it is REDICULOUS!!! He ends up with a 57 AC... combination of dexterity (from tenser's transformation goes from 9-16) and mage armor and shield and haste and the HUGE +18 bonus to natural armor he gets for polymorphing into a Golem? Also he gets 3 attacks at 2d10+19 at level 14 PLEASE tell me he's doing something wrong. If wizards who polymorph are this powerful what's the sense in playing a fighter? Or anything else for that matter?

2. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Assuming you're using 3e or 3.5e rules... You get Str, Dex and Con scores of the new creature and you keep your own Int, Wis and Cha. However, I'm not sure whether you're allowed to change into a construct or not, but either way, you're not allowed to turn into an iron golem. You may change into a creature with HD equal to your level, with a maximum of 15 and the iron golem has 18.

3. Viper3220 Gems: 2/31

we're using 3.5e rules. and ok thank you, but I can't find rules about that anywhere.

4. Mesmero

Well, the spell description would be a good place to start ;)
    Look at page 263 of the Players Handbook. It's all there.

Also, according to the description of Tenser's Transformation, you're not allowed to cast spells while under it's influence.

5. Viper3220 Gems: 2/31

True, but he casts Polymorph Self... then Tenser's. Also I was mistaken... he turned into a Stone Golem not an Iron Golem also... I read about him not being able to turn into anything larger than 2 sizes bigger than him, but not the hit dice thing.

Edit=oops I messed up the order.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    He can't cast Polymorph Self after Tenser's Transformation. Tenser's says you cannot cast spells while it's in effect. I suppose the other way around would be OK though...

7. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

You can't change into a construct unless you are a construct in the first place (not true for this guy, I assume).

Iron Golems can't speak, either, so they can't cast spells with verbal components. I don't see anything about whether Stone Golems can, but I would say you couldn't use verbal components if you somehow turned into a Stone Golem.

But just to advocate for the player, once you are in the 12th+ level area as an arcane caster, you are going to have some access to some pretty big guns anyway.

[ January 23, 2005, 01:14: Message edited by: Oaz ]

8. Viper3220 Gems: 2/31

Thanks for all of your help... but if you could maybe tell me where you guys get some of this info it'd be great... I'd love to be able to go to him and say "you can't do so and so" without having him say "Where does it say that at?" I'd like to be able to answer "on page so and so"

9. Mesmero

Polymorph Self doesn't exist anymore in 3.5e. There is just one polymorph spell in 3.5e which I think you can target at yourself. Are you sure you're using 3.5e and not 3e?

Like I said, look at page 263 of the Player's Handbook, at the spell description of Polymorph:
    "...The new form may be of the same type as the subject or any of the following types: aberration, animal, dragon, fey, giant humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, ooze, plant or vermin. The assumed form can't have more Hit Dice than your caster level (or the subject's HD, whichever is lower), to a maximum of 15 HD at 15th level..."

The spell description of Tenser's Transformation can be found on page 294.

10. Viper3220 Gems: 2/31

Yea I know there's no polymorph self it's just polymorph. I do remember however I think he was reading the spell description out of the 3e players handbook... which might be the reason.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.