1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Question about the Forgotten Realms pantheon and other such things

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Cryo Mantis, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Cryo Mantis Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Well, I've been playing through Baldur's Gate II (I'm starting on Throne of Bhaal now) and I've finished Icewind Dale II.

What I'm curious about is that there has been mention made about a god named Ao. Is he Ubtao of Chult or what? I've looked at several lists of the pantheons for Faerun and found none with him listed (well, several weren't listed). Is he the supreme power or something?

Also, what forced the gods to walk the earth during the times of troubles? I'm just curious about this.

My final question has to do with the abyssal planes. What's the defining difference between the Nine Hells and the Abyss? From what I have learned so far the Nine Hells consists of baatezu (I think that's supposed to be devils) and the Abyss consists of tanar'ri (demons, if I'm correct). What I haven't been able to figure out is what is the difference between them? I've noticed that tanar'ri tend to have scales and are more snake-like whereas the baatezu are stereotypical demon. I've also come to find that some of the gods reside in these two different planes (Sset for example).

I'm sorry if these questions seem silly, but the Forgotten Realms pantheon, planes, and other such things have aroused an interest within me.

2. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Ao is not exactly a 'god' since he bestows no powers upon mortals and he exists outside the rules that bind the gods of Toril. He is the power above the gods and some of his powers invole being able to create gods from mortals, to strip a god of it's powers, to change the rules that the gods operate under.

Ao was what forced all the gods except Helm to become mortal during the time of troubles. He did this because he sought to punish the gods because two of them had stolen the tablets of fate. I could reveal more but it would be a major spoiler. I would suggest reading the 'avatar' series of books for it will answer all your questions about the time of troubles, what Ao is, the role of gods and how Bhaal was killed.

I'm not too sure about the abyssal planes. I do know that the two types of demons are from opposing axis of evil. The tanar'ri are Lawful Evil whereas the baatezu are Chaotic Evil. They are constantly at war with each other and will probably remain at war forever. This war is called the Blood War and if it is to stop then the entire realms could be destroyed since the demons would no longer be fighting amongst themselves and would concentrate their efforts on 'other' targets.

They're not silly questions at all and they are even far deeper than I have explained them. I do hope I have helped though.

3. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Only thing I can come up with now, is that devils are always lawful. Demons on the other hand are Chaotic, they will attack any creature (including other demons) just for fun. Devils probably rather cooperate.

--Oops, that was stupid. You already knew that... Did not properly read the last lines of Abominations post.--

Second edit:
    IIRC, Tanar'ri are a type of demons, and thus Chaotic. Baatezu are a type of Devils and so they are Lawful. Seems you switched them. ;)

[ August 25, 2004, 12:43: Message edited by: Master of Nuhn ]

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

My mistake about the devils/demons thing. I knew there was a difference.

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I don't think the tanar'ri have more scales or are generally snake-like. The only example I can think of is the marilith and maybe the hezrou. Both look pretty weird, and all kinds are different - some are gigantic spiders, some have a humanoid form, and others look like "classic" fiends.

(This is just a reference to the Monster Manual, but I don't think there are a lot of other new fiends in FR.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.