1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Questions about IE using 3rd edition

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by HeartOfDarkness, May 27, 2002.

1. HeartOfDarkness Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

As I was playing BG 2 and after having refreshed my 3rd edition rules for the upcoming release of IWD 2 I asked myself some things and thought I'd ask it here too in case anyone knows. First of all will there be attacks of opportunity? In a real time game it could get really complicated but then again they are there for a reason. Also I remember spending a whole afternoon doing stats and stuff like that and in the end I came to the conclusion that using a two handed weapon deals more damage than dual wielding but only if they keep the rule where you add one and a half your strength modifier, are they gonna use that? Also how about readied actions, how will that be implemented , and if they don't use that then how will you be able to disrupt a mages spells, especially if there are no attacks of opportunity (which I'm guessing there won't) Finally what happens with counterspells? will you be able to counterspell? Well that's pretty much it, by the way it's a shame they didn't use item creation feats and prestige classes , maybe they should give you access to prestige classes as rewards but , oh well c'est la vie.
    buh buh

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Don't know much about 3rd edition D&D, but Black Isle has said that they will use as many of the rules as possible. At least a few of those things you said (like the dual wielding vs two handed) doesn't sound like something impossible to have in the game.

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

For prestige classes - it was designers' decision because everyone is already sick of drooling over BG2 kits.
    Besides, what would prestige classes be? Zenmaster perhaps? Valkyrie? Come on!

The spell disruption currently is set to work like this:
    Note that also is planned to add the Concentration skill that prevents the disruption of spellcasting.

I don't know what is "readied" actions.

For two-weapon style, currently there is ambidexterity feat that lowers penalties for two-weapon fighting. How does it actually work, we'll have to check within the game, right?

4. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I assume by 'readied' action you are refering to drawing a weapon or using an item. I would say that IWD2 will not use pause when you check your inventory thus the enemy gets attacks as you change things around on that screen. AoO are not really used in a real time game. They could give character a free hit for AoO but there is no difference between running and walking or full or partial actions. It's more fluid turn base combat thus many of the issues surrounding AoO don't come into play.

5. HeartOfDarkness Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Actually no, readied actions if (and this is a not so accurate explaination cause I haven't played it in a while) is not playing when your initiative comes but instead holding your action so you can perform a standard action when an event occurs, me and my friends mainly used this to either guard doors (something like if I see anyone coming in I shoot him) or counterspelling and disrupting spells (when that mage casts a spell I fire an arrow at him) and things like that

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.