1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Questions on Class Balance

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by TheVatican, Oct 23, 2001.

1. TheVatican Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

that sorcerers are the only class that is not balanced well? Also, why are arcane trickster's so good? i saw a message that stated that arcane tricksters were like relly really good, i would like to know why?
    Also, on another site I saw a class called sword sorcerer this is the link http://classes.adnddownloads.com/

Needless to say my Dm said it was way to overbalanced and powerful as soon as he saw the spell chart . then he wouldn't stop making fun of my powergaming ways hehehehe. Well, to be honest I hardly looked at it before i showed him, and after i did look at it i saw that it was way to overbalanced. hehehe i am jsut wondering why peoplemake these classes if they know that GMs will note that they are to powerful and never let them play. what do you guys say?

2. Snorri Guest

Hmm, sorry i did not use your link, but if the character you are talking about is the, Spell Sword, then yes i think they are obscene and very broken.
    Their abilities are amaizing by far, and i have banned them from use in any of my campaigns

3. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I do not know why you think that the Spellsword is too powerful. It is just a prestige class. In order to begin this class, you must meet the prerequisites of base attack bonus of +4, and ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells. The lowest level that this is possible at is 6th overall, 3rd level fighter, 3rd level wizard. Once the Class of Spellsword is chosen, the character only gains additional spells every 2nd level gained. (In essence it assumes raising both classes and is the two combined) The Only benefits that I can see are the special abilities, but these are offset by those not gained when raising as the other classes seperately. (The bonus feats of a fighter, etc.)

Also, both of these prestige classes can be found in the official guidebook "Tome and Blood"

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited October 24, 2001).]

4. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well I have written up a fighter4/mage6/spellsword10 myself. And believe me, it does have it's disadvantages and advantages. One of the things you must understand is that he will only be able to cast level 6 spells by games end (and only one level six spell at that), and he won't be anywhere near an amazing fighter for that matter either. That does put him at a distinct disadvantage against more powerful characters, and he won't be that powerful in his own right early on in the game, not really until perhaps level 10 or 12 when his ability to reduce spell failure drops by a signifigant amout. I think to say it's an outrageously powerful class is a bit much. Pen up a character such as this and see for yourself. He gives up alot in order to meld magic and swordplay.

I'd say the Arcane Trickster is good because, well, he has no disadvantages for a rouge/wizard. He gets spells every level, still gets the backstab bonuses, can impromptu backstab, and can preform thief skills at a distance. All in all, not a bad class. I still don't think it's terribly overpowered, because of course we are talking about a rouge/wizard here, but it does give the best of bother worlds IMO without any real drawbacks.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.