1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Quiz! What do you really know about the occupation in Palestine?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Ragusa, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I found an interesting quiz, prepared by HaMoked, an Israeli organisation devoted to assist Palestinians of the Occupied Territories whose rights are violated due to Israel's policies.

My score was:
    Hint: Key to a perfect score is being grimly pessimistic

2. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I particularly liked the one about family members going missing, didn't seem atall biased..

3. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    its a really easy quiz, all you have to do is assume that the bias quiz is designed to show only Hamoked's view on things and not an open view, the questions are only designed to Inflame a negative view of Israel, and not to really educate or test what people know about the conflict and occupation.

I mean seriously, 7 questions about the conflict?

this was the one I got wrong:

I went for the worst answer: Only military forces and Israeli settlers who reside in the area

the answer was a little nicer: Only Palestinians carrying a permit, as well as any Jew whatsoever, including non-Israeli citizens

4. Ragusa

Media:
    The bad thing is - no matter how cheesy the quiz is with seven answers only, they are factually correct. It is not just their view. This is fact.

Besides, that was the one I got wrong as well.

5. Shoshino

Media:
    most of the questions are about where a person can and cannot live, which is nothing new.

as for the secret prison, many countries have secret millitary prisons, where human rights violations may or may not take place.

about the detainees, If I'm arrested in the UK the police are not required to inform anyone of that detainment.

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Also got that one wrong.

There is no doubt that Israel is an occupying apartheid state the debate is whether they are that by grim nescessity or not.

7. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Why all the cries of bias in the face of verifiable fact? Facts aren't biased, even when they are inconvenient, and one would be hard pressed to use the actions of unrelated Palestinian terrorists as justification for, say, refusing to allow the reunification of a Palestinian family.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  8. Shoshino

Media:
    very few facts are shown in that quiz, its just the usual *****ing and moaning, there's plenty there which other governments can be accused of.

"oooh, Israel is so evil... look what theyre doing to the poor palestinian people who are so innocent... all theyve done is fire rockets and set off bombs with no intention other than to kill civillians, Israel is so unjustified :o:o:o:o:o"

you need to watch UK boarder patrol

9. Ragusa

Media:
    Drew,
    facts become biased when people don't want to hear them. For whatever reason.

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Facts are not biased, a selection of facts made for presentation can easily be biased, and I believe that is what those claiming bias were talking about.

11. Ragusa

Media:
    I was being sarcastic BTA.
    In this case?

12. Shoshino

Media:
    yes its the case, this quiz about "how much you know about the occupation" is a big misrepresntation of the conflict, focusing only on one point of view - not how much we know about the occupation.

13. Ragusa

Media:
    I disagree. It is about the occupation from the view of Palestinians, and of Israelis helping them. I dare say that most of the readers don't really have an idea how Israeli measures impact the lives of ordinary Palestinians. I wouldn't call lining that out a misrepresentation.

14. Shoshino

Media:
    and yet you do?

I would, it doesnt mention any of the aid that Israel sends in

15. Ragusa

Media:
    Shoshino,
    yes. I try to inform myself about the matter.

And why should an organisation that devotes itself to assist Palestinians of the Occupied Territories whose rights are violated due to Israel's policies mention Israel letting through aid and goods to Gaza. That's not their core issue.

It is exceedingly silly to expect, as you apparently do, that everyone who criticises Israel, then ought to please spin the prayer mill to say something nice about Israel as well so you feel good and perceive things as balanced.

Besides, Israel doesn't 'send aid' - it lets through what it must. Without public scrutiny and pressure the siege would be far harsher. The aid that gets to Gaza is usually paid for by third parties, not Israel.

16. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Palastine?!?! WTF is Palastine? Is that a small town in Iowa?

17. mordea Banned

How nice of the illegal squatter to allow the branded native to cross their stolen lands.

18. Shoshino

Media:
    Mordea, where are you from?

19. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    He's obviously from a country that hasn't been stolen... err Ethiopia?

20. mordea Banned

What does it matter? We aren't talking about my country, we are talking about Israel, an apartheid nation which *continues* to annex land from the oppressed native residents.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.