1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Raise thy hand for Britannia!

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Sylvus Moonbow, Nov 28, 2000.

1. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Any Ultima fans in this community? By far, my favorite of any RPG is the Ultima Series, although as a fan, the later stages of this epic saga blew goats.

The first Ultima I ever played was Ultima 4, Quest for the Avatar and it was a lot of fun and vastly huge!

My favorite of the series though is Ultima 5: Warriors of Destiny. My friend got it for Christmas one year and he called me up first thing in the morning to tell me his dad had bought it when he was in business in the US. Boy, I think I was more exicted about it than he was! LOL!

I never got to play too much of Ultima 4 or Ultima 5 because I never had a computer back then, but when I got my first 286 EGA system. Look out. Ultima 4 was the first game I installed and sat down to beat and was the first game I beat, then went on to play Ultima 5.

Damn. Ages past. That was the summer between Grade 9 and Grade 10 and in the winter of Grade 10, I played and beat Ultima 5.

Ultima 5 has over all, the best plot line any CRPG has ever had in existance out of all the ones I have played, and that includes the AD&D FR games created. It was full of life, humour, magic and perils that brought fear to the eyes of many.

Ultima 6 I didn't really take a liking to, although I did play it, I never beat it.

Ultima 7 only re-lit my own fire for the Ultima series and I played as well as beat this game during my stint and break between highschool and college. It ranks 2nd in the Ultima Series for me right behind Ultima 5 of course.

Ultima 8 was a joke. I hated the fact you weren't back in Britannia and when Ultima 9 came out and all the fans cried "NO! Make it Isometric, put it on 4-5 CDs packed with NPCs and make it the final saga of all sagas in the Ultima series!" what did they do?

They butchered it.

Syl...

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Big early Ultima fan! And I agree completely with your analysis of the later games (specifically 8 and 9) But I thought Ultima 6 was good because IIRC it made you look at the demons in a different light; they weren't necessarily the evil things we thought...

Ultima 5 was the best as far as story and fun, and the Ultima 7's were great; though I was a little leary at first with the new engine. After I got used to it though I loved it...

8 sucked royally and I didn't even attempt 9...

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Agree with Syl on all counts too.
    Except that my favorites and first ones I played were the first ultima (pretty pathetic, but it seemed cool back then :) )
    and both Underworlds. Dungeon crawl at it's finest.

4. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I also agree with Syl. I played the first three in juniorhigh and they were OK on my Apple ][ but I first really fell in love with 4. I think it was a great game but 5 was totally the best. I remember being in high school when I got U5 and spending a whole lot of time playing the game. It was clearly the best in the set and maybe one of the best computer games I ever played. I remember think how best a game it was (4 double sided 5.25 disks). But you had a whole world, 8 cities, 8 dungoens, and few castle to explore plus the entire underworld. It was big.
    I played around with U6 in college a bit but never really got into it. After Ultima and I went our sepreate ways.

5. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I tried Ultima 2, you know, the black crystal one. Halfway through, my PC went arse on me and I've never played another PC game for many years until Fallout.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Some fond memories from Ultima:

Ultima 5:
    Crawling through 8 (?) increasingly difficult levels of a dungeon to find the exit to the caverns below.

The one cavern that you had to Blink from one clearing to the next to find the shard, all the while wondering "Am I gonna have enough reagents to find it and get back out again?"

Mongbats

The gargoyles who split into two on a miss

Ultima 7:
    That little bastard Spark could swing a pretty mean halberd even though it was twice his size :)

That secret place at the top of Spark's dad's (the blacksmith) shop that you have to grab every crate in the village to make a stairway to get up there.

The Forge of Virtue.

The flying carpet had seats! :)

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited November 30, 2000).]

7. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    That's it? Nobody else likes Ultima? Ah well... your loss.

8. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I am, oh and no i'm not dead, nor am I undead, I'm just pissed at my internet company, sorry... had a little rage I needed to let out, all better now

9. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

as annoying as all the jumping puzzles are, I'd have to say ultima 8 and 1 are my favorites

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Ugh! I couldn't stand 8... No variety of weapons or monsters. The combat was pathetic, and there was no party... Just horrible I thought...

11. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

what about 1?

12. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    You know, I can't remember if I ever played 1 or 2; I know I played 3-8 though...

13. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Ack. I couldn't stand Ultima 8.

Ultima 1 was OK but I really didn't like it too much, most likely because I had already played and beat 3, 4 and 5.

When I think of Ultima though, it's Warriors of Destiny that I will always relate to. The Shadowlords, the Underdark, the new, crisp colourful graphics, night and day made it an awesome adventure.

Syl...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.