1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Website Babbling Thread (or HTML help thread) #1

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kitrax, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    [​IMG] Ok, so we have a HTML help thread in the SPS forum, but that's limited to about 30 people or so...

So I figured I'd create a thread where people can ask for help with HTML, finding random websites (not to take any attention away from Sorcerer's Place of course), and general help/babbling on web frustrations. :spin:

Right now I'm teaching myself HTML by reading the 'HMTL 4 for Dummies' book. It's been fairly helpful so far, but I'm about to get into tables, frames, and CSS. Waaaaaay back in high school, I took a HTML class, and the tables and frames are what confused me to the point that I decided to never go back to that class. :rolleyes:

So, have at it! :rolling:

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Here is a tough nut to crack:

My website doesn't work on IE and Konqueror, but is fine on Firefox. What gives? It can be found from www.saunalahti.fi/~hs83/. It has some pretty serious JavaScript -code, but removing it doesn't seem to have any effect (so the error is probably somewhere else). Parrot mark for anyone able to solve this. ;)

3. Kitrax

Media:
    Ok, so I just ran across something that’s bugging me. At my site, I want a navigation bar that goes along the left side of the screen, starting in the very top left corner of the page.

I made a quick page so you can get an idea of what I want it to look like. navigation bar example There are a few things that I don't know how to do however.
    • I don't want there to be a line separating the "Kitrax's Place" box (with the image) from the rest of the links below.
    • I can't seem to get the table to get up the top left corner of the page.
    • I have no clue on how to make this table show up on every page, and not move when you scroll down.
    So it's basically a bow that doesn't move when you scroll down, and it's on every page at the top left corner.

Sorry to be repetitive, but when I tried to explain it to a coworker who is studying HTML, she had no idea what I was talking about. So, do any of you guys know how to do this? Oh, and yes, I know I spelled ‘navigation’ wrong and yes, I know there aren't any actual links on the page...I’m just too lazy to fix those minor details right now. :p :rolling:

4. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

@Kitrax: I know very little of HTML, but a simple way to place the navigation bar where you want it, and leave it there even if the main page changes would be to use frames. The bar would belong to a section of the page that would be independent from the rest, and as such it wouldn't be affected by scrolling or repositioning.

You could check the online tutorials in Webmonkey for more info:

http://www.webmonkey.com/

5. Kitrax

Media:
    Oh boy, it looks like this thread was a flop. :(

On a lighter side, I will actually be able to upload my totally revamped site this Monday or Tuesday. I've managed to get my hands on Dreamweaver 8 reciently, so I've been messing around with it for the past several days...and I'm almost ready to upload the site. I have a feeling that most of the links will be down for at least a week or so as the many sub-pages get completed.

But this will be a major milestone for me! :banana: :rolling:

6. Kitrax

Media:
    Lo and behold! My site is up! :banana:

http://www.sorcerers2.net/kitrax

Feel free to browse around, and if you find anything that's not working, misspelled, or generally odd about the site, let me know...either through the 'Contact Us' form, or here on the BoM.

In other news, I just got a massively thick book called 'Dreamweaver 8 Unleashed' so I'll be getting some really good ideas on how to spruce up the site as I read it.

At this point, I am thinking of adding a 30 second music clip to the 'Album of the week' feature to get a feel for the album. I'm also thinking of adding some other, really cool features...like a "fun and games" page, and a 'guestbook' of sorts page where BoM members (and people in general) can add a few lines to the page. I'm turned off in general by guest books, so if I add this feature, it will be unique.

I'm also in the process of revamping the 'Contact Us' page to include a short FAQ on the site, links, the actual contact form, an added, refer a friend form, and of course, a tribute to the all powerful Taluntain! :p Even thous the site is up, and the basic structure of the pages havew been set, the site will change (for the better I hope), so check back often to see the progress! :rolling:

7. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

You are doing some pretty advanced stuff with HTML... I know some basic stuff, but nothing like what you know. Its pretty cool...

I like your site so far.

Go Kitrax!

8. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Kit, for more advanced applications of HTML/DOM and Javascript, check out Quirksmode

9. Kitrax

Media:
    Actually, I don't know S*** about HTML... Without Dreamweaver 8, my site would look like the origanal 'homepage' I made in about 10 minutes... :eek:

I'm finding lots of cool ideas and techniques in the book I'm reading right now. I just found out that DR8 has a built in JavaScript function adder, and a 'form builder'... Once I get to the latter chapters in the book (about 4 inches away from where I'm at right now), it gets in to ASP.NET, PHP, and some other advanced stuff that I have little to no knowedge of. :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.