1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rashemen - OOC

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Rotku, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Sorry guys, Real Life has kicked in unexpectedly again. I'll try visit every now and then, but... yeah...

2. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I understand totally Rotku, RL does exist. On Thursday I'll be going on a short trip with a visitor from Germany, up to Duluth, Lake Superior, then over to Itasca, the head waters of the Mississippi River, then all the way across South Dakota to the Badlands and Mount Rushmore. I'll be back sometime next week.

Please be nice to Sepp's body while he has his out of body experience. Thanks.

[ June 16, 2005, 03:12: Message edited by: Scot ]

3. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

What're the rules on more than one character per player?

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I have posted my Nakia to the Character thread. If she meets with your approval, Rotku, I'll start her in the RP. Right now I just don't have time to develope a new character but would like to get involved in this game.

5. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Back from the trip, it was a good one.

6. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Welcome back, Scot. I'm going to post to the RP.

Rotku, if you have a problem with my character she can easily disappear.

7. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Once again, sorry guys. I'm hoping I'll get a bit more free time shortly... I'm pressed even to post this. Anyway, she looks fine Nakia.

8. Daie d'Malkin

Yeah, Rotku, are there rules on multiple characters? I want to ask before posting a character...

9. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Not to be presumptuous, but it's probably a bad idea. When you play Monopoly, do you ask, "Can I be a shoe and a cannon?"

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Well, not to be presumptuous myself (seeing that I'm not even in the game :p ), but Monopoly is a game where having an extra piece would be an unfair advantage. This game seems to be narrative as opposed to competitive, so it hardly matters. Also - it would only really matter if the characters were competing against each other, no?

11. Rotku

I agree with Aiky here. But what ever the majority of players think *shrugs*

12. Nakia

Media:
    I think it should be up to the individual. I'm thinking of another character but I need time to do some research. There are times when having a second character could be helpful to moving the story line along and this is a story written by multiple people.

13. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Actually, when I made the Monopoly analogy, I mean to suggest that the shoe and cannon are against each other, and simply played by the same person. I should've elucidated.

Which is sort of the problem with multiple characters. If this game is supposed to be about, or at least heavily concern, dialogues, conversations, and I-don't-agree-with-you-let's-spare-the-bandits'-livess, then I think it should be limited to one character per person.

If multiple characters were allowed, then I could be figuratively standing in a corner, away from, say, Lantus and Benan, making up a conversation between, say, Grenn and his friend Archie, while Lantus' and Benan's characters go to the old wizard's tower (or whatever).

If a social game should discourage something like, "My character Shura keeps to himself while stroking his figurativley phallic sword and acts cool, waiting for the others to approach him in appropriate reverence," then it should probably discourage something like, "My characters Grenn and Archie sit by themselves and talk to each other about how vain everybody else in the tavern is."

So it's basically trying to keep the spontaneity of an RPG and to prevent the whole thing from turning into a big script or novella.

14. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

LOL!

You have a point. Having multiple characters that are hanging out together unless there's some good reason or advantage to the story (or whatever it is your aiming for) - it's pretty pointless --- especially having conversations between them. (I think this was your point anyway - bowing out now and leaving you to your game :p )

15. Daie d'Malkin

Fair does. WIll post one character. Hum, I'm going to be eaten if I post an avariel, right?

16. Scot

Now that we have our small band almost on the road to adventure, how do we proceed?

Up to now it's been rather easy to roleplay given the basic setting of a tavern in the town, but now who is to decide how long it takes us to get to the fort? Whether we encounter anything along the way. And what we will find once we get there?

Also, for those of you who have posted characters but not joined the action yet, please feel free to jump in any time. I know there's a barbarian posted that would be a likely encounter on our journey. And maybe Harbour Boy's druid could be practicing being a squirrel and get chased by Sepp's dog. If that's a little unflattering to you Harbour Boy, please disregard the suggestion. Also I imagine that Sepp dumping a bunch of stuff out of a small bag onto the floor of the tavern caught some people's attention, especially when he had a bag full of gold pieces that he didn't know what they were.

Just to let everyone know, I'm really enjoying this so far. Thanks for playing.

17. Nakia

Media:
    Shame on Nakia for not recognizing gold pieces. Maybe she was paying more attention to the lock picking tools with the Thieves Guild symbols.

Nakia has suggested it would take two or three days to get to the fort. Just seemed to me that if it were too close the local authorities would be concerned.

Now as to what happens next... for me the fun is seeing what other people come up with. An adventure isn't an adventure if unexpected things don't happen.

Right now we have a Halfling with some magic talents as well as fighting skills; a half drow fighter and a Halfling rogue/fighter. Going off to invade a fort of some sort. No problem getting in. Nakia can do that easily. But getting out...alive???

Say, Harbourboy, Sepp seems to have some earth magic maybe the two of you could get together and help each other learn. A mage, socerer and/or cleric would be handy to have around. A kick A$$ monk makes a nice companion. Come to think of it a 'friendly' illythid is a lot of fun.

Rotku, are there any special monsters/villains or just general BG types? Also, did you establish a time frame? Is this after the Bhaalspawn era?

I see Oaz's point and agree with it.

edit: I'm not insulting the Rashemen food but Nakia has strong viewpoints as to what is eatable and what isn't.

[ June 25, 2005, 20:04: Message edited by: Nakia Nightshadow ]

18. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Daie - I hope I didn't sound too pushy. Anything I say is mostly opinion, and ultimately, things are Rotku's choice.

Nakia - thank you for so succinctly 2 pages' worth of roleplay! So apparently, we have the half-drow warrior (Jexx), the halfling who seems to have magic (Sepp), and the halfling who seems to fight and/or sneak (Nakia). Still, I confused about the adventure part. Why are they invading a fort? Who is in the fort? What makes our heroes think they can do something like that? Is there anyone else we should know about? (And why is no one willing to play a human?  :p ).

Sorry, but I'm unwilling to wallow through all those posts. I'd rather be on the fastrack. :)

19. Nakia

Media:
    Okay, Oaz, you asked. I get a headache trying to read through a bunch of posts to figure out who, what, when, why. (This why I think we need a story summary thread but I think it should be started by Rotku just for consistency sake).

1) Sepp thinks his brother has been captured by some unidentified 'critters' and held in this mysterius fort whose location is only vaguely known. His Ma & Pa have been killed. Probably by the things that captured his brother.

2) Why do they think they can rescue Sepp's brother? Simple...If they didn't we'd just sit around the tavern talking a good talk. Gotta start somewhere. They're crazy adventurers.

3) Playing a human. I can speak only for myself but this is fantasy and I get to be something I can't be in real life. :alien: Be sure to read the Character Sheet Thread. Also, don't forget to update (edit) your Character so people will know what your talents etc are.

Come on fellow adventurers. Jump in; in the water is fine and filled with sharks and alligators or the BG equivalent.

20. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Where are you guys actually going? Harbourboy, I mean, Atten is in the forest but coming into town.

Hmm, it's easier to remember names in the CC thread......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.