1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Raymond Feist, David Eddings, or Robert?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Lithorn, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Lithorn Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Which author do you think is the best of these three? Raymond E. Feist, David Eddings, or Robert Jordan? I'd say David Eddings.

[This message has been edited by Lithorn (edited January 28, 2002).]

2. Feirhanith Dengeird Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] thats a hard choice between Feist and Eddings, at the moment i am reading Feist's "Rage of a Demon King" and the rest of the serpent-war saga. but over christmas i read "The Redemption of Althalus" in two weeks as it was very addictive (the ending was a bit of a let down though). personally i think that Feist is a far better writer than most but Eddings is close behind in my second slot! Feist is way more descriptive and has many different things/plots happening at around the same time with a large mix of strong characters.

3. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Eddings. Then again, I've never read Robert Jordan, so my opinion might be *slighly* biased. He does tend to repeat himself a bit, though.

4. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Well I've only read books by David Eddings out of those three, so I'd have to go with ihm - very interesting storyline :).

5. Relic Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Feist, though the Serpentswar saga was probably the worst of the lot. His characters just seemed more real and 3-dimensional than Eddings or Jordan.

6. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Yes, the Serpant war saga is not too good, but the other Feist works are very good. Did you read the Empire trilogy? Amazing!

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Eddings? Bah! Not that I don't like him, but it was all downhill from the Belgariad. The Mallorean was decent but was nearly a reenactment of the Belgariad, and the banter became tiresome in the extreme. The Elenium and the Tamuli were good, but again same characters in similar plots. Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress were just plain boring.

8. ShadowDaemon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Ive never read Feset or whatever his name is. Eddings is awsome. But Jordan takes the whole enchalada! the first time I read the Wheel of Time, there were only six books, so it only took me six days to read them. Once I started I could NOT put them down! Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' series and George R.R. Martin's 'Song of Ice and Fire' are the only other ones that ever did that... though I did finish Polgara the Scorceress and Athalus in record times... all too good, maybe someday ill be that good. Did I mention im an asspiring author?:evil:

9. Khazar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

EDDINGS!!!

Redemption of althalus was amazing, crap ending but it was so addictive and great battles, and gods, and characters and.....

I'm currently reading R.A.Salvatore's works and the others don't have anything on him i'm afraid.

Oh and DRIZZT IS AMAZING no matter what anyone else says.

By the way I finished Redemption of althalus before you Feirhanith!

Sorry just thought I might rub it in a little more :)

[This message has been edited by Khazar (edited January 30, 2002).]

10. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Eddings, I must say. Feist, I have read only a little and a long time ago, and Jordan... not exactly the kind of stuff I like.

Eddings has gone downhill as well, but RoA was great... except for the crappy ending, like eveyone says.

Oh, and RAS is totally cool. And, no matter how amazing Drizzt is,

ARTEMIS IS BETTER!!!! :)

Ara
    (Sniffling and hating the idea of Swedish lessons....)

11. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Jordan all the way. Eddings started good but have gotten alot worse. The Redemption of Althalus is decent much better than the really bad Tamuli and Elenien. But they are books written for youths they lack any semblence of depht and the plot is straight as an arrow.
    Feist is pretty good but he too lacks any greater depht. You dont wonder what will happen with the chars between books.

I can admit that Jordan needs to end tWoT soon as it has too many loose ends and he cant open any more. He needs to start tying things up. But Jordan is my all time favourite writer and I can wait my entire life for the end if that is what it takes.

Martin is also a really good write, dark and gritty. Read him!

12. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I have no read either Feist, or Eddings but Robert Jordans works are really good. My favorite author is Orson Scott Card, the guy writes some awseome, read the speaker for the dead. Just a warning the books or set in the future but are not really science fiction they are all about human experiences.

13. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Feist. My favourite series, in one of my favourite worlds. I like the others too, but Feist isn't as repetitive as Eddings, nor as long-winded as Jordan.

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Thorin - That's exactly what SF is: "all about human experiences". And I have to agree Orson Scott Card is good; I loved the short story version of "Ender's Game".

15. Palpatine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Definately Robert Jordan. The Wheel of Time is great. The scope of it is huge but he holds it all together real well (except of course leaving Mat out of book 8 :(). It took me a little while to get into Eye of the World, but after that I blasted through the 8 books that were out when my friend loaned them to me in college in one semister. Even made a 4.0 that term, and I'm pretty sure those events are related. Also Winter's Heart has started tying stuff up if you havn't read it joacqin. I think he's said he's aiming for 12 books now, though it was going to be a trilogy originally :)

O.S. Card is really good too, can't wait for the conclusion to the Bean Shadow books. He does tend to repeat some themes in his books though (especially lost/isolated colonies that somehow lose advanced technology)

16. Arabwel

Media:
    Well, guess what is so annoying in reading Jordan in Finland? The Finnish versions are published as two books, at least! And I am too lazy to go and buy the originals, so I jst have to wait for the Finnish ones to gewt to a library, and then a dozen people reading them before me... I think they're in the book 4 or 5 now, and they've published at least 10 books...

Ara
    (Permanently over-annoyed)

17. ShadowDaemon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

9 actually, I just got Winters Heart for christmas... along with Pillars of Creation(Goodkind is a god!!!) and Sea of Swords(Salvatore is also goddly!)

Oh and Artemis is definaltly cooler!! HE COULD KICK DRIZZT'S DARK ELVEN ASS!!! if only drizzy dint have his 'special' ankle bracers... and enchanted swords... and the love and adoration of million that keeps any hero alive no mater who is cooler.

:evil: Ive Decided Goodkind is better than Jordan... slightly

18. Arabwel

Media:
    Yep, that's why I have Artemis in my BG2 party, no matter the fact that he is SLIGHTLY overpowered... ;)

Ara
    (Artemis-fangirl forever!)

19. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

SLIGHTLY? :lol: :grin:

20. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Goodkind better than Jordan! Are you mad! Goodkind is bad copycat of Jordan. He doesnt have an original thought in his brain. Heck, he cant even make a good story. He must invent a new bad guy for every book. I have read all of Goodkind except Pillars of Creation and they are nothing more than an easy read. Something you read between your 9th and 10th reread of WoT.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.