1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Raymond Feist, David Eddings, or Robert?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Lithorn, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Well, sticking to the topic at hand I'd say that Feist is a better writer. Jordan's WoT series and Eddings' Belgariad started out very well, but they started to lag after a while. At the end of the Belgariad, you could pretty much tell what was going to happen, and I was getting pretty sick of the tired comments between the characters. The Malorean was the same series, only slightly re-written, and it seemed pretty ridiculous to have all of these super-powerful people sneaking about the world.

The WoT started out so good! I was really excited when it first came out - over a decade ago. The story lines from the first few books have almost completely disappeared, and all of the last several books haven't advanced the main plot one bit. It almost seems like he's been asked to drag it out so that the publisher can keep selling books. I was given the latest book for a gift in the summer - it's still sitting unread on my bookshelf. I've got better things to read.

Of the three, only Feist has been able to write a complete series that doesn't bore me at the end. The Riftwar saga was thrilling, exciting and surprising right through to the end. One of the signs of a good writer is being able to stay focused throughout, and to keep their audience interested at the same time. Feist acheived it, Eddings barely acheived it, and Jordan has completely lost it at this point. Admitedly, the SerpentWar saga wasn't that great, but his books in between the two series were still pretty good.

After all that, there are several fantasy authors I'd put above any of the above three who might not be as well known by some. In no particular order: Marion-Zimmer Bradley (for her Darkover novels, as well as 'The Mists of Avalon'), C.S. Lewis (Narnia), T.H. White ('The Once and Future King', among others), George R. Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire), Julian May (The Saga of Pliocene Excile, and pretty much everything else she's written), and the highly underrated writings of Terry Pratchet. If you're in to fantasy, I strongly recommend reading the works of these authors. And if you're in for an extremely good SF read, try 'Doomsday Book' and 'To Say Nothing of the Dog' by Connie Willis.

Oh! And the Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwall (generally not considered fantasy though).

[This message has been edited by Gnolyn Lochbreaker (edited February 01, 2002).]

2. Feirhanith Dengeird Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

well after hearing all of your points of view i have to dimiss most of them and say that Fiest is still the better writer. His books have vivid descriptions in them, realistic characters and some random events every so often to keep you going.

3. Tiana Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I'd have to say that while the Belgariad is good, Eddings has never written anything else as good as that, so he's out of the picture, and Jordan has completely lost his grip on his series, so that leaves Feist. His world is the most interesting, and he doesn't repeat himself as much as other writers do.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.