1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RC: Bayne - The Road to Griffon's Nest

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Baldak Oakfist, Aug 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Darius looked over at the young ranger. For once his idle banter was a welcome distraction from the worries of the moment, perhaps he had been alone too long. "Well Bayne, Even by the most direct route, Griffon's Nest is over 90 miles, but we may want to travel to either Mithril Hall or Nesme first. We can resupply there and then head off to Griffon's Nest. This will add time, but is necessary. If we travel to Mithril Hall, we would arrive mid-day on the second of our journey, Nesme would be another Half day more. Both are a day and a half journey from Griffon's Nest. Either way is dangerous."

2. herf Guest

Mithril Hall sounds good to me. I have heard nothing of this place, please tell me more about it...

OoC: I'm not too sue if i can make tonights session baldak.
    i know that i can be there form 12-3am gmt, is that ok by you?

[This message has been edited by herf (edited August 31, 2001).]

3. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

"Mithril hall it is. A fine choice I think, although I have never been there either. We shall see it for the first time together. I have heard stories...."

OoC: If I can be there I will. If you are in the Chat room we can maybe run some. If not just post the next time you can make it. Some Info on Mithril hall will follow. But you will have to post next as I cannot double post.

4. herf Guest

Tell me of these stories.
    When you have finished i would also like to know about your father, he seems a powerful man...

5. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

Well, as far as I know, Mithril Hall was once the greatest hold of the northern Shield Dwarves. About 180 years ago a Shadow Dragon was released by the Dwarves, who had dug too deep. The dragon took over Mithril Hall killing most of the dwarves. A few of the Dwarves excapaed to Icewind Dale. During the year 1356, One of the descendants, Bruenor Batlehammer, returned to Mithril Hall and slew the dragon. It is rumored that he had the help of the famed Drow Ranger, Drizzt Do'Urden.
    After the dragon was dead, Bruenor brought the dwarves from Icewind Dale back to Mithril Hall and drove out the Duergar who had taken up residence there.

6. herf Guest

Sounds like a...lively place. If tis all stone then I say we stay only for a short time, buildings make me queasy, they destroy the look of nature...
    How long do you think we shall be spending there? I knw we aren't in any hurry to reach this nest but I hope our stay will be short...

7. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

"I'm sure our stay will be short. We will be welcome, but we have other business to attend to. As for my father, he is a powerful man. I have not seen his equal with the rapier. He is a sight to behold when in battle. As far as some things though, we do not see eye to eye. I guess it is a matter of methods. For my father, how you acomplish your goals is as important as acheiving them. For me, it is not important how. Acheiving the goals of goodness is the important thing, even if you have to move outside of the accepted ways. In this I think that you and I are closer than my father and I."

8. herf Guest

Your father abides by the laws of the lands, he is held within the rules of the rigid structure of society. Still, sticking to those laws is no easy task, he deserves much credit for doing so.
    Yet I agree with you, sometimes the laws are...annoying and must be avoided, there are loopholes in the law in which vagrants can escape punishment, with me, they cant escape punishment.
    Do you have any friends in Mithril Hall?
    If so, are they expecting us?

9. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

"I have no friends there, but I know that they will welcome us because of my father. Let us set down for a meal. I can see that it is mid day and I could use a rest."

During the meal, Darius noticed some movement off to the north and brought it to the attention of Bayne who then identified the threat as gnolls moving around the hill to the east. The two moved to the top of the hill, fired a volley of arrows down on the gnolls, and then charged into the fray. Bayne was the first to draw blood, striking one gnoll with his rapier. Darius followed with a hit of his own. Bayne took one of his down while Darius struggled with his two. Darius took several hits as did Bayne, but the two never went down. The gnolls were not so lucky. The sword play rang out in the low hills for many minutes but the pair of Rangers finally ended the last gnolls life.

A total of 40 SP, 4 Battleaxes, and 4 suits of Studded leather Armor were taken. Each received 600 Experience. Bayne will finally raise a level.

Darius hands a small potion bottle to Bayne. "Drink this, it will make you feel better." He then continues to apply the bandages to Baynes injuries. I should drink one of those myself, he thinks to himself. After I'm finished.

10. herf Guest

Bayne accepts the liquid gratefully and swallows, feeling a strange sensation overcome him. After a few seocnds he feels, stong again, as though the battle had never happened.
    "Were those gnolls set as a trap do you think or were they random?" Bayne asked qith a small smile, thinking of the bloodhsed to come to those who lay in wait for them...

11. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

"The Gnolls must have been just passing on their way to do some evil. They were just unlucky to run into us. You are quite handy with that rapier of yours. Perhaps when we return, my father would show you some of his better moves. May I see it. It is rather well made, and except for the one my father carries, I do not think I have seen one quite this nice." Darius, having finished his work of the young ranger, gathers up his healing kit and stows it in the saddlebag where it came from. "One thing for sure, when I return I will ask my father to show me some of the riding techniques he knows. It would be useful to be able to utilize this horse for what it has been trained."

12. herf Guest

I agree, it would be good to be proficient in the use of these horses, they might make very good weapons in capable hands, unluckily mine hands are anything but capable.
    So where to next fellow defender of the forest?

ooc: where exactly are we right now?

13. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

"Perhaps we will get a chance to practice on our own with the horses. By my calculations we should be about a day's ride away from Mithril Hall. We will have to bed down for the night before we reach the city. Keep an eye out for a good defensible location for camp. We can set up some alarm traps for those wandering creatures who might happen by. I will show you." At this Darius turned his horse towards the West and continued the journey to Mithril Hall.

There is a "Party Location" Map posted on my site, where you can see where all the groups currently are located. You are the Blue Dot with the B in it.
    http://people.ne.mediaone.net/frankmarianne

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited September 05, 2001).]

14. herf Guest

"Heh, learnign to use this horse is on my list, but surely twould be better to be taught by one knowledgeable in the ways or riding and mounted attacking?"
    At Darius's request Bayne looks for a spot in the trees to make camp.
    After a few minutes of searching he sees the perfect place, a small secluded spot underneath a ring of willows, with only two visible entrances. Dismounting Bayne asks Darius to show him those traps he was talking about earlier...

15. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

Darius scans the area chosen by the young ranger, this will do nicely he thought to himself. "good spot, Bayne. Now let us to the task of securing this area." Darius opens up one of his saddlebags and begins to remove some items, a spool of silk thread so fine as to be nearly undetectable, tanglefoot bags, and some small globes that Bayne does not recognize. "These are the key to the protection," Darius points out to BAyse, noting the globes. "When activated, they will explode with a loud pop, and release their contents of sleep powder. The sound is not so loud as to attract more creatures but loud enough to alert us, and the sleep powder subdues all but the most stout. A mage in town makes these for me, but the original idea was mine, or more accurately a plants. I had come across a plant with globes similar to these hanging from it like fruit. When a creature pulled a globe from the bush like plant, the fruit would explode, releasing the sleeping powder contained within. The insidious plant would then devour the creature. I was lucky to have been able to observe all this from a distance, as a group of Uthgardt Barbarians had happened upon the plant. They never knew what hit them."

16. herf Guest

"You seem to be very well situated here in the forest, exaxctly how long have you been travelling and living here in the wilderness?"
    Bayne watches Darius hang up the globes and tie the thread around low branches and high branches together.
    "Yes these should warn us of any danger, and the globes shall wake us to let us administer the..ahhh.let us say the 'coup-de-grace'"
    With this remark Bayne gives a sly smile...
    "Lets bed down for the night and hope these contraptions arent necesarry lest they fail to alert us..."

17. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

After a brief meal and some light conversation with Bayne, Darius moved over to the trunk of the willow and sat down for his meditaition. Four hours of trance would do him good. He had been getting by on little more than 2 for several weeks and his efforts against the gnolls showed that he could use it.

OoC: Herf, you can only wear and use one shield at a time. The Character Generator Demo allows you to equip yourself with two or more at the same time and will show all bonuses.
    also, I have compiled a list w/descriptions of all the new feats from the guidebooks if your interested I will send them to you.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited September 07, 2001).]

18. herf Guest

Bayne watched as the fellow company fell inot a kind of meditation.
    Un-packing his bedroll and blanket he lay on them, looking up through gaps in the great willows branches, admiring the stars.
    "What a great journey this has turned out to be, I've gone from being robbed to stopping the invasion of a village. Well i certainly live in interesting times..."

ooc: yes please, that would be great!
    and any oher stuff you think might be useful, imherf@hotmail.com

19. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

Four hours in deep meditation, was all that an elf needed to rejuvinate himself. Darius wondered how Humans could deal with having to sleep for 8 hours a day. So much of the day wasted. Darius glanced over at Bayne. He was glad that his traveling companion was also elven. This would make traveling quicker. Darius pulled some dried meat from his rations pouches, along with some bread and cheese. Perhaps they would find some game along the remaining trail to Mithril Hall. The Dwarves would be more receptive, if the two were bearing gifts, and Dwarves loved their food. "If we begin the rest of the journey within the hour, we should make the foothills below Mithril Hall, by mid-morning. This will give us a chance to perhaps locate some fresh game. Both for us and the Dwarves."

20. herf Guest

Bayne looked over at his companion, "Yes, the dwarves would welcome us with open arms if we come bearing gifts, even if their arms are only open for the meat tis always good to be welcomed. And i like the thought of some fresh tender meat rather than these" Bayne holds up his field rations in disgust, "to eat all the time."
    To show his disgust Bayne spat out a mouthfull of his brekfast onto the ground and wiped his mouth.
    "After the fight with the gnolls I feel I am more proficient with the art of killing than I had been previously, I feel...rejuvinated, have you ever had that feeling?"
    Taking the elder elves advice Bayne packed up his sleeping utensils and mounted his horse, to set off earlier tis always good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.