1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RC: Cruising down the River

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Erran, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

They camped on the riverbank as Jack declared that they were still within the patrol range of the Knights in Silver, hence pretty safe.
    The next morning they cast off and continued to sail west. The woodlands slipped behind them and they entered more open moorland country.
    "Keep yer wits about ye" Jolly Jack advised, "this is no man's land."

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Garacaius looked a bit nervously around, but couldn't spot anything out of place. Then he turned to Jack, "Jack, I assume you have done this trip many times before. What are we to expect here in these surroundings?"

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited August 14, 2001).]

3. Erran Gems: 19/31

"Not too much to worry about by day. You see the occasional hill giant or ogre on the north bank. Sometimes the ornery b*ggers throws a rock at us, but their aim is poor.
    On the south bank you sometimes see the odd troll. When we camp at night I like to build a big fire. They don't like fire - see? Anyway, I've got good ol' Betsy for company."
    Jack patted a heavy crossbow, mounted on the rear rail.

4. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Jakob wanders about the boat, looking for the others. He eventually stumbles upon Garacaius. "Ha, we meet again, elf!" he said, "I tell you it's a good thing a bumped into you first. There seem to be a lot of your kind in this party, and I doubt all would be as forgiving as you. Heh. You know that, of all three short races, I think I am the sole representative in this party? I'd hoped for more of my kind to talk to, but them's the breaks... Listen, do you know of a good weaponsmith with us? Only I'm thinking of maybe getting a dagger fixed to my crossbow as a kind of bayonet, if that'll work."

5. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

"Well met Jakob, sounds like a neat trick with that crossbow, I might just borrow the idea some day." Garacaius gives a little laugh and continues "Though as for who would have the skills to make such a thing, I'm not sure. You see Jakob, mostly I'm on this adventure to tame and increase my own unique power, I've been gifted with the essence of magic which run through my veins untamed. Since the dwarf got himself killed, I believe we elves might be a bit easier to be around. Dwarves, especially a bloodhungering fool like he was, makes me rather tense and on guard. I can't say how the others feel about you, though I dont mind those of the gnome people, gnome's just tend to speak before you think sometimes *laughs* I still remember our first meeting, I guess I was a bit shorttempered there. Though it add's to your honesty, so I dont mind too much."

As Garacaius end his rambling he looks at the gnome, who has been paying attention, but doesn't seem too satisfied with the answer. Garacaius leans closer to Jakob and whispers "Oh, and just between you and me. That fellow, Xalen, seems to dislike our, I mean my presence, but since he's a fighter and all, he might know some tricks to make such a weapon you require, or perhaps Majikus does with some enchanting abilities we haven't seen yet."

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited August 14, 2001).]

6. herf Guest

ooc: i rolled a new character for the split, this is him.

Surya awoke to the gentle rocking of the boat. He could tell from the motion that the boat was moored somewhere.
    With a gentle yawn he arose from his cramped bed among the barrels and quickly packed away his bedroll and blanket.
    He silently cursed the captain under his breath for not telling him they had set off. With gentle toughts of yartar and family in his mind he climbed the deep steps to the deck.
    Seeing the captain Surya was sorely reminded of his wallet missing 15gp.
    As Surya watches the sun rise in the sky he is aware of other passengers, a group that all seem to know each other. Watching them with mild interest they ignore him as they chatter amongst themselves.
    Turning his attention the water below Surya becomes mesmerised by the rippling waters...

7. The Word Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Early in the morning, Calin hears movement not far from his own cold camp. Intrigued, he creeps to the riverbank. On the river there is a ship. Since this boat was headed in the right direction, Calin decided to board it. There was a large oak tree growing right on the water's edge. Calin clambered up the tree. As the ship approached, Calin timed the jump and leapt. He fell through the air, landing rather ungracefully on the deck. He stood up and said to a human male in front of him, "Hold, friend. I mean no harm. Take me to your captain," he said, jiggling his coin pouch meaningfully.

[This message has been edited by The Word (edited August 15, 2001).]

8. Erran Gems: 19/31

Jack frowned at the new arrival. "I can't say I approve of your method of boarding, and the fare to Yartar is still 15gp." he announced.

The Cormorant continued to make good progress, even though with a full cargo of silver ore and more passengers than she was designed to carry she was wallowing low in the water. The day wore on with only the ocasional circling hawk or howl from the moors to break the monotony. Storm clouds were gathering, darkening the skies.

OoC. A crossbow with a dagger bayonet is -4 to hit, as a crossbow is not designed to be a thrusting weapon.

9. Gash Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

It was hot. Gash splashed some more lavender water on his face and examined his dirt-encrusted hands.

"My hands. Oh god my fair, lovely hands! Bloody rowing boat thugs."

He picked up another dish and started scrubbing the grime off it. 'What do these people eat?' he thought to himself as he threw the dish out of the window. Something like that just wasn't worth cleaning.

He looked over to the door and saw a tall red-haired woman stood in the doorway.

"Hullo," he said "I'm Gash."

10. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Xander couldn't help overhearing the discussion about attaching a dagger to a bow. Xander approaches tthe man and says, "I can do the work for ye but my neither my time nor my materials come cheap. Cause as I always say a cheap weapon isn't good, and a good weapon isn't cheap."

11. Kitiara Gems: 14/31

The smell of lavander was so overwhelming Kitiara had to place her hand over her nose and mouth. "geez, someone bathing in lavender down here"

Reaching the doorway to the galley, she spots someone washing dishes. He turns to her and introduces himself. "hello" she responds, "so your the source of the lavender smell!"

"Nice to meet you i am Kitiara" extending a hand she reaches to shake Gash's hands, then seeing the filth on him she changes her mind and puts her hands behind her back.

"I was just wondering where your band is venturing?" "I have been travelling alone for so long it might be refreshing to have some campanions for once" Throwing her hair back she gives Gash a dazzling grin.

[This message has been edited by Kitiara (edited August 15, 2001).]

12. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Jakob looks towards Xander, whom he hadn't noticed before. "Eh," he says, " I'm not sure. I don't really want to part with my weapon while it's being made, and don't have that much cash. Besides," he tried a few thrusts at imaginary opponents," this seems more awkward than I'd anticipated". He grabs the crossbow just behind the bow, and feels it for weight, then swings it about his head a few times, "The stock seems like a solid enough piece of wood, I could try using it like this..."
    OOC. Okay, I still want to see what I can do if I'm stuck with my crossbow in melee. Would it be any good as an improvised club?

13. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

Garacaius looked upon the sky and shuddered, then he looked around the boat for some shelter from the oncoming rain and walked inside. Here he saw two figures, one being the unfortunate swimmer who's motives he didn't quite understand. The other figure it seemed, was of much more interest, never had he laid eyes upon such a beatifull elf.

Garacaius stood stunned for a few seconds and then made them aware of his presence by making a slight cough "Well met fair people, I am Garacaius Moonshade. May I have the pleasure of your names and your travel destinations? I myself and the group outside is heading for Waterdeep."
    Garacaius bow's gently to the fair lady.

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited August 15, 2001).]

14. The Word Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

"My apoligies, captain." Calin said, giving the man his coins, "I am Calin. As you can see, I am Gold Elven. I am most recently from Evereska, and I am traveling to Yartar."

15. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

After breathing in the fresh air, Majikus decides to retire to his bunk wondering what path he should take...He then sets himself upon the bunk and falls into a deep sleep but not before catching a glimpse of red hair.

"Hmm, so we have a netherlandreal aboard? Interesting..."

With that, Majikus fell asleep...

Ooc: I'll join the Euros game.

16. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Xander shrugs, turns around and returns to where he had been sitting. He then looks down the side of the boat and notices a someone clad in a cloak staring off the side.

17. Erran Gems: 19/31

Wed night session - Eleint 3, 1371DR

The sun was low in the cloudy sky when the Cormarant reached the confluence of the rivers Rauvin and Surbrin. Milla was looking over the rail to the far away mountains of the Spine of the World when she saw a couple of canoes approaching fast. She warned the others and Jack cursed - "River pirates!"
    Despite cramming on sail and using the oars the barbarian warriors gained steadily on the sailing barge. A flurry of magic and missiles from the Garacius, Jakob and Calin accounted for two of the warriors. In the confusion the party managed to hit the dead body of one of the pirates with a heavy crossbow bolt.
    Still they came on, returning fire with thrown hand axes. The commotion brought the others on deck. Jack's evasive manoevers caused the Cormorant to strike the riverbank hard. Some were flung ashore, others jumped for it. The sailors pushed the barge off and it continued downstream.
    The fate of Bayne, Xalen, Kitiara and the others stranded on the south bank on the edge of the Evermoors with Torog closing in will be chronicled elsewhere.
    Two remaining pirates from the first canoe leapt aboard and one felled Garacius with a mighty blow, rendering him unconcious. Calin and Milla took on the other, unfortunately for Calin he clashed his swords together and dropped them both (double fumble!)
    Surya healed Garacius and he struggled to his feet. He had dropped his crossbow and had no time to reload so he swung it as an improvised club, winding the pirate. Jakob circled round the other, trying to flank him. It was not needed for Milla struck a telling blow which hit a nerve and dropped the brute. Surya inflicted a wound on the other which was enough to bring him down too.
    Calin decided that those on shore needed his help so he dived overboard and swam off to aid them.

OoC 200xps for 'active' players. The US players are now ashore, DM'd by Baldak. The Euros are sailing on the Cormarant with yours truly. I'll continue under 'The Sundered Fellowship'

18. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

US session Wed night: Same Date.

Abruptly awoken to the battle raging above, the adventurers emerged brom below only to be thrown from the deck, The Comorant had struck the bank, Torog and two warriors landed on the shore and attacked the rag-tag group, while the final ambush was yet to take place. As the group recovered from their abrupt landing, Two more barbarians waiting on shore unleashed with a flurry of thrown axes. Kitiara, the ever-ready sorceress unleashed a Magic missile at Torog, the Coup de Gras, Torog fell. Unfortunately for the group, the other barbarians had caught the rest off guard, Bayne was struck square in the chest by one of the thrown axes and wend down (critical hit), nearly dead. Meanwhile, Knomal was also hit by one of the flying axes, staggered but not out yet. Calin unleasshed his attacks on the warrior that got while Pimm and Knomal attacked the same one, Knomal in a flanking position, they crushed him. Gaspar then joined in the fray, and only the breeze knows how he missed. At this point, battle horns could be heard from east, not too far away. The barbarians remaining, their leader down suffered a morale failure and took off running. Kitiara and Knomal let off with missiles, and one more fell. The remaining one disappeared into the Evermoors. Pimm, moved over to Bayne and through some quick casting saved the young ranger from almost certain death, he was at -8.

OoC: Each received 200 expeience.
    A quick search of the bodies yeilded the following: 18 GP, 35 SP, 7 CP, 6 throwing axes, 3 great axes, 2 battle axes, 4 suits of studded leather, 16 days of trail rations,4 water skins, 3 large wooden shields, a map case, a sack containing flint and steel, a torch, and a whetstone, and two canoes with paddles.

A cloaked figure, Darius Elkhorn, rode up during the search and inquired as to the direction the remaining barbarians fled. He gave the group some information on their location and then took off in persuit. The group then decided, after a lenghty discussion, to bed down for the night.
    In the morning, it was decided to change plans, at least temporarily. The map showed promise, so the group headed off to the east toward Herald's Holdfast and Quaevarr.

This will continue in RC: US - a New Direction

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited August 16, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited August 31, 2001).]

19. Gash Gems: 14/31

(OOC: this happens before the battle, sorry my PC never disdplays the replies till I refresh about 20 times)

"I dunno where that band is heading," Gash said to Kitiara, "They're all Paladins or something on the road to a great adventure probably. If you wanna join em you should talk to Thomas, the one with the gold tooth. Well MY gold tooth."

Kitiara looked puzzled.

"Long story, ending with me going into the river and having to wash these dishes. My beautiful hands..."

[This message has been edited by Gash (edited August 17, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.