1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RC Euro: Meanwhile, back at the Ranch...

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Erran, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Wed night online:
    It was late afternoon when the party got back together. They returned to Forkbeard's ranch and went to the bunkhouse. There Jakob's revolutionary eloquence persuaded 3 of the ranch-hands to go to the front gates and protest about their wages. They did so, accompanied by Grog. As night had now fallen they took torches.
    The party got to the gates ahead of them and found Rolf gone. Jakob failed to pick the lock. They then went to the rear and, using a grappling hook and rope easily scaled the wall.
    In the garden they found a mausoleum, Jakob succeeded in breaking in. There were wall plaques dedicated to the Baron's ancestors and wives and a sarcophagus to his first wife, Miranda. Try as they might they were unable to open any of the plaques nor the sarcophagus (Ooc wot a lot of rotten rolls!)
    They gave up in disgust and headed towards the back of the mansion. Surya was attacked by a large dog, which Majikus slept. Instead of giving a coup de grace Surya rashly attacked the dog (he wouldn't let it lie) but fumbled the attempt and woke it. It was left to Majikus and Garacaius to dispatch it with might and magic. Garacauis hid the dogsbody in the Mausoleum.
    Jakob crept up to the back door and successfully picked the lock. He opened the door to see a long corridor stretching ahead, with doors on either side.

50xp each for the dog and misc roleplaying 'exploits'

[This message has been edited by Erran (edited August 30, 2001).]

2. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Jakob shrank back from the door and huddled close to the wall. "Okay, comrades," he whispered, "it's clear for us to go in -but before we go in we need to decide on a plan of action. We're looking for the women, and any documentation that might put us onto where they might be found, or serve as evidence. Now, should we stick together so we can handle a fight, or split up so that we can find what we're looking for quickly, hopefully before the alarm is raised?"

3. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Majikus leans against the wall and thinks for a moment...

"I feel that we should remain as a group for now for the simple reason that the Baron is a powerful cleric and our chances are best with us all together. And we could fight our way past people even though it would be slow...but thats my opinion...i shall follow the majority vote...What do you others say then?"

Majikus looks around at the others and also keeps his ears peeled for any unusual sounds...

4. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Milla nods at Majikus.
    "I agree. How about this: Jacob and I advances silently to the first couple of doors and see if we can hear anything. Then we try to enter one of the rooms depending on what we hear while the rest of you cover our backs"

"Another thing, I think saving Samuels sister is our number one priority. If we can find any evidence as well that's fine but once we find her we should get out of here"

"I say this because taking on Rolf and the Baron at the same time might be a problem, lets just hope we don't have to face them together"

5. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

*Grog peeks around the corner, then grins at the group* "Grog founded you!" *Grog is wearing studded leather and wielding a massive great axe in his hands. On his back a tower shield is strapped, and under it a battle axe* "Grog thought he lost you"

6. Erran Gems: 19/31

Sat night online:
    Grog had circled round and climbed the wall to find his new 'friends'. Unfortunately the tower shield was too big to negotiate the corridor so he left it by the back door. Jakob and Milla silently recce'd the corridor, listening at doors but hearing nothing until they reached the foot of the stairs where they thought they heard a muffled cry from above. Motioning Garacaius and and Grog to join them they ascended and repeated the recconaisance upstairs. They heard snoring from one room and a dull thud from above them. Towards the far end Jakob picked a lock and Garacaius climbed the next stairs followed by Grog. Garacaius came face to face with a grusome female figure dressed as a maid with heavy white make up, wearing a wig, smelling of lavender and wielding a meat cleaver. Garacaius stepped back to allow Grog to fight but in doing so gave her the opportunity to strike him. She did, felling him with a single blow. Grog smashed back with his greataxe and the figure disintegrated into rotting flesh. Milla stabilised Garacaius and Jakob picked the lock at the top of the stairs. Grog noticed the corpse had a wooden leg, which he took as a souvenier.
    Entering the dark shuttered room at the top of the stairs Grog felt something brush his leg. He was about to stomp on it when Milla cried "Stop". She then lit a torch which revealed the bound and gagged figure of a woman on the floor. She screamed when released but they managed to calm her down and she told them she was the Baron's latest wife, Magrit and the dead zombie on the stairs was what remained of Esmie.
    Roused by the screams, Rolf appeared and attacked Grog. Unfortunately for him he fumbled the blow and dropped his shortsword. He was soon cut down by blows from Grog and Milla. On his body they found a bottle, in his room they found a light crossbow.
    The party then decided to split up and search for more evidence against the Baron.
    Jakob went downstairs and called in Majikus to help him search the library. There they found numerous books on the undead, zombies, flesh golems and the worship of Shar.
    Upstairs Grog administerd the potion they found on Rolf to Garacaius, who revived. Grog then proceeded to smash down the Baron's bedroom door. As he entered Forkbeard 'held' him, then smashed him unconcious with mace blows. Milla attacked, assisted by magic missiles from Garacaius. Majikus ran upstairs but the Baron's will was took strong for his sleep spell. Forkbeard tried to inflict wounds on Milla but she dodged. The combined attack of the whole party finally brought him down. Milla stabilised Grog and the others searched the room. Apart from the chainmail shirt the Baron wore, a plain gold ring and 72 gp little of value was found in the Baron's bedroom.
    Jakob suggested rescuing the other wives, Izzy and Elena. "Don't you understand?" Magrit replied: "He's turned them all into zombie servants like poor Esmie, while he uses pieces of them to 'rebuild' his first wife, Miranda. THAT's whats in the cellar! And that's what he was planning to do with me."

OoC: 450xps for Garacaius, Grog, Jakob and Milla.
    300xps for Majikus

[This message has been edited by Erran (edited September 03, 2001).]

7. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

"Well he was a tough bugger" Garacaius said to no one in particular, as he tried relieving the baron of his chainmail shirt, "This might come in handy for Grog."

Garacaius took the gold as well and asked Majikus, whom he had noticed took the ring, "Does the ring account for your share of this gold Majikus?" before he was to divide the gold.

OoC: I think it was Jakob or Milla who told Grog not to step on the women, I couldn't have at least

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited September 03, 2001).]

8. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Milla reclaims her lantern (ooc: from whoever/wherever it was (I kind of lost track of it for a while)) and extinguishes her torch. She picks up the mace the baron dropped and swings it a couple of times. Hmm almost like a club, but the balance is all wrong. It's nothing for me, she decides. Maybe Surya can use it.

Milla turns to Magrit.
    "I'm sorry you had to see this but Forkbeard won't hurt you anymore. Just stay with us and we'll get you out of here in one piece"

"Hey, Jakob. I'm sorry i slapped you but we really needed you back there. Would you mind doing me a favor? Could you go down and see if you can find Surya, while I stay here with Grog. Grog could really use some healing."
    "And watch out for the Izzy, Elena thingies"

Ooc: Yeah it was Milla, but that's a minor point it doesn't matter.

9. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Majikus leans down next to Garaciaus over the body of Forkbeard. He then takes the gold ring and pockets it and then looks at Garaciaus...

"Well my elf, as i have the gold ring, i won't need to have as much gold as you other four ... so divide it amongst your selves and leave me a bit after."

Majikus then gets up and puts some of the cleric books into his backpack...

"Never know! I may need this sometime...not for spell purposes of course but i might need to make a quick coin sometime soon so we shall never know and we could use these books as evidence of what has happened here..."

10. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

Garacaius gives Jakob & Milla each 16 gold pieces, and saves 32 for himself and Grog.
    He then turns to Majikus, "Here, I hope this will do you just" and hands him the remaining 8 gold pieces.

OoC: DO'H!, that was what I was going to do ;)

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited September 03, 2001).]

11. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

OoC: How bout you give Rolf's share to Grog, seeing how rolfy boy is dead?

12. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

Jakob comes to groggily and rubs his head. "Whuh... What's happened...I came up, saw a bit of Esmie, and Grog looking all beat up ...then...then..." he looks around him and sees Forkbeard lying dead. "that the Baron, is it? Can't say I'd imagine anyone'll be sorry to see him go. It's just, all the killing, it really makes me feel unwell." Jakob looked like he was going to continue moaning for a good length of time, but the sight of the gold shut him up. He grinned faintly as he slid it into his coin pouch. "So, brothers - and sister - what do we do now? Do we have enough evidence to leave, or do we stick around to get more? Oh, yes, I think someone mentioned finding Surya, I'll go do that." The gnome headed downstairs muttering to himself " Now where'd that cleric get himself to when he's needed...probably gone to pick a fight with every zombie in the mansion..."

13. herf Guest

Looking out of the door Surya saw no-one, and hearing the movement and rumbling from within the house, he decided to run in.
    At the bottom fo the stairs a decaying figure of a female was slain, he wondered how long shed been lieing there to decay like that, tearing his eyes away from the dead body Surya climbed the stairs.
    Seeing the large half-orc lieing wounded on the floor he quickly dropped to his knees and chanted a small prayer, the large ham-fisted orc was enveloped in a blinding white light and was healed.
    Looking around he noticed the others were engaged in their own little affairs, so Surya thought it best to go back and keep watch at the door again...

14. Erran Gems: 19/31

OoC 1: Grog receives a 6HP boost to his health,

OoC 2: We had our first level up, let's hear it for Jakob, the little gnome with the BIG attitude.

From the upstairs corridor the party thought they heard a knocking sound from the unexplored bedroom at the far end.

[This message has been edited by Erran (edited September 04, 2001).]

15. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Majikus hears the knocking and quickly fastens his backpack ... He walks out of Forkbeards bedroom and stares at the bedroom where the knocking was suppoesed to be coming from ...

"Guys ... i don't think i'll be opening the door for a few reasons, first I am best deployed at the back to cast spells and second, I've used up all my spells and as i'm pretty weak, i shouldn't be the one opening that door...I suggest someone big and strong open the door"

16. Erran Gems: 19/31

Wed night online:
    Garacaius found some keys in the baron's bedroom which enabled them to open the far bedroom. Here they found the bound body of an elf. When they released him he introduced himself as Sarathien, a woodsman. He had come to the Baron's mansion to inquire about a horse but had become suspicious about one of the female 'servants'. When he tried to learn more Rolf and clubbed him unconcious and improsoned him here. In a nearby locked broom cupboard they found his gear.

They decided to explore more of the mansion. Downstairs, in the study they found the Baron's journal. Surya read some extracts:

1364 Ches: Sune shines down on my happiness, I married my beloved Miranda. She loves the horses as much as she loves me.
    1364 Kythorn: Wonderfull news, Miranda is with child!
    1364 Eleint: Oh cruel fate, Miranda has been killed in a stampede. The priest of Sune refuses to resurrect her as she will be still disfigured. I spit on Sune.
    1364 Nightal: What Sune cannot do Shar may accomplish. I must study the ways.
    1366 Mirtul: Married Izzy, she reminds me of Miranda in some ways. I warned her never to go in the cellar.
    1366 Uktar: Foolish woman, pried where she should not. She paid the price, Rolf drowned her in the Surbrin. Still, she may be 'useful'
    1367 Tarsakh: Married Elena. Perhaps she will be wiser. Discovered that brine helps to preserve my true love.
    1369 Hammer: Alas no, curiosity killed her too. Rolf made it look like a troll attack. It helps to explain the missing arm.
    1370 Alturiak: Married Esmie, her hair is the same colour as Miranda's. The cost of components to restore my beloved is crippling, but she is worth any price.
    1370 Uktar: Why will none of my wives obey? I only ask 'Don't go in the cellar' A cause disease made her death look like the pox. I have found that stong perfume hides their disgusting smell. Miranda grows more beautiful with every 'addition'.
    1371 Ches: Married Magrit. At least she seems obedient. Esmie's brother Samual keeps noseying around. Perhaps Rolf will have to deal with him.
    1371 Eleasis: Rolf caught Magrit in the cellar. It appears she will have to join the other servants.

They unlocked the cellar door and Milla, Jakob and Garacaius started to descend the wooden steps. They did not notice the trap that caused the steps to collapse. Milla rolled and landed on her feet, the others soon recovered their balance as 'Izzy' and 'Elena' attacked with club and sickle. The clumsy zombies dropped their weapons in the initial attack giving Milla chance to land a powerful blow on one and giving Jakob and Garacaius time to run to the far end of the cellar.
    Unfortunately for them it was out of the frying pan into the fire, for a large female zombie emerged from a bath of brine there. They loosed off their crossbows at point blank range then waited for the inevitable counter attack. Garacaius felt a breeze from the curtain behind him.
    Saraththien shot an arrow into 'Miranda' then leapt down to join his companions. Things are not looking good for our heroes ....

Sat nite online:

The zombies swung clumsily and all managed to dodge them. Milla landed a roundhouse kick on 'Izzy' and its head became detached. . Garacaius backed into the curtain and found there was a space beyond it. He cast Mage armour on himself, the better to withstand the attacks. As he did so 'Miranda's' bony fist stuck him but his concentration held. Jakob continued to fire the cross bow at point blank range even though it gave 'Miranda' the opportunity to slam him against the wall.
    Sarathien switched to longsword and plunged it solidly into 'Miranda's' back. Unfortunately for him it lodged there so when he tried to retrieve it for another attack he dropped it. 'Miranda' landed a telling blow on him that knocked the breath from his body. Jakob let fly another bolt and 'Miranda' fell.
    Milla used her uncanny dodge ability to duck 'Elena's' club and called for help. Grog was unable to follow down the collapsed stairs so opened up with Rolf's crossbow, scoring a couple of hits. Sarathen and Jakob switched to daggers and joined the fray. Under the combined attack 'Elena' went down.
    They piled some crates and allowed Grog and the newly arrived Surya to descend. Surya used the last of his healing on some of the party. Grog donned the Baron's chainmail and gave the studded leather to Sarathien. Searching around Milla found a gold ring on Miranda, the twin of the Baron's. A locked chest defeated Jakob.
    The tunnel behind Garacaius led on for a couple of hundred feet. At the far end Jakob detected and disarmed a heavy crossbow trap. Grog kept the bow, Jakob the bolt. The tunnel led up inside the sarcophagus. Surya and Milla raised the lid and they found themselves back inside the mausoleum.
    Sarathien, Garacius, Miranda and Surya headed back to town, the others went for a last scan around the house.
    The locked chest yielded to Grog's axe. (Pity no-one tried the Baron's keys?) Inside were decanters of perfume which Jakob vastly over estimated the value of, and a reel of gold wire. The rest of the house yielded little of interest apart from some food for Grog. Wearily the adventurers followed the others back to town, to rest and give Samual the bad news.

The party has acquired a variety of 'stuff': books, a mace, holy symbol of Shar, decanters of perfume etc. Please roleplay your disposal of these items. Matilda the barkeep will advise on the location of shops.

Xp awards:
    Jakob 550
    Milla, Sarathien 500 each
    Garacaius, Grog 250 each
    Surya 50.
    Majikus 0

Which means level up for Garacaius - who says sorcerers can't survive?

OoC at http://people.ne.mediaone.net/frankmarianne you can see a map showing the location of all our groups.

[This message has been edited by Erran (edited September 10, 2001).]

17. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

Jakob followed the party back to Nesme. As they returned to the tavern, he turned to Garacaius and said, " You asked me about myself earlier, well this is the ideal time to have a - umm, I'd better just have a cinnamon milk or something - and talk about it."

Minutes later, when the party was sat at a table, Jakob took a swig of his warm, frothy milk and started to talk. " I suppose, I'd better start with my boyhood. I grew up in a small gnomish village, the only non-gnomes I saw around the village were traders, and then rarely, seeing as our village was well off the beaten track. Wouldn't have existed save for the gem mines, probably. Now, my dad, he was a jeweler and gem merchant - ran the business which had been in the family for generations. Anyway, I was set to join the business, and what with the expansion and all he tried to rush me into the business early. Totally unfair, and against my basic liberties! Not only did I start to realise that I was being forced down the mercantile path, but in my studies I was starting to see how the merchants and nobility existed by exploiting the peasants and artisans. So, on a business trip to investigate potential markets in the human cities, I just up and said 'sod them'. Got away and went to Silverymoon, to fight inequality, corruption and privelege, and get wasted on turnip vodka!" Jakob grinned a satisfied smile and took a deep swig. Setting his mug down, he wiped his mouth and said to Garaciaus "Now, it's your turn."

18. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

Garacaius looked at Jakob with a smile on the face as the gnome spoke his tale. He thought it rather entertaining as how people from the higher circle of citizens would be lowered to a rogue by morales and conscience.

When being asked about his past, Garacaius' smile vanished and his head turn into a sad looking one, and he starts speaking of his youth.

"You ask me of partly forgotten paths I have trod, even though I don't like to remember the bad things I have coursed, I'll tell you my friend. You see, I am a sorcerer as I told you, and magic runs within me, though I didn't know till late age..."

Garacaius makes a short brake and sighs heavily, then continues.

"From my childhood I remember only my mother, she said that my father had left in the blue, without a notice, leaving me to my mother. She mourned him, I remember, but got along just fine, she tought me of the gods, of other races, of friends and enemies, and arch enemies.." Garacaius shudders "When I growed up and got into my early sixties, my mother got very ill, and she had to put me in the family's good friend's care. She died a year later, weakened beyond cure."

Garacaius takes a sip of his ale, and his pale eyes looks into memories long ago.

"George, my "foster father" was my friend and teacher, he tought me the ways of humans, and the ways of powerful mages, I always enjoyed magic, and he later told me that I was a creature partly consisting of it. Not quite as pure an elf as I believed, and it turned out to be for the worse. Later, when I entered puberty, my "essence" grew more powerful, and a night while studying, it blasted out of me, setting the library on fire. I was cought inside the fire but George came to help me, he rescued me to safety, but a rafter fell down upon him while he carried me. It broke his back, and he died, hopefully without pain, though I could now manage to escape the flames."

A few tears starts running from Garacaius' eyes.

"This be my tale. My family is gone and beyond saving, perhaps except for my father, whom I still hope to meet one day, if he lives. Though alone and desperate I left our small village just nort of Silverymoon, and since it was the biggest city nearby I travelled there, seeking ways to control my powers so that I will not unintentionally hurt anyone again by accident."

OoC: Hey, I leveled up! Thanks to the one playing my character! Erran, I'll mail you my leveled up character as soon as possible.

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited September 09, 2001).]

19. Erran Gems: 19/31

Despite the late hour, Samual was waiting for them at the 'Five Crowns'. He recognised Magrit and asked: "What news of Esmie?"
    "Sit down old chum, we've got some bad news for ye." Thomas said, sadly.
    "Allow me", Magrit interrupted, she then told Samual how Forkbeard had murdered his wives and turned them into servant zombies.
    Samual broke down and Magrit did her best to comfort him.
    "Horrible, horrible." he repeated. "And you were to be next, Magrit. But where will you stay now?"
    "I hadn't thought beyond escaping the mansion" She replied.
    "You are welcome to Esmie's old room, until you get things sorted." Samual offered.
    The two left together, trying to come to terms with all that had happened.

20. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

Jakob nodded thoughtfully, and took another drink. "Aye, " he agreed, " That's some past you have, and I'll press no further. I left something out of my tale though, the bit ahem, most relevant to you. When I was a lad, all the elves I saw were the traders who'd come to purchase gems. Swanned about like princes, every one of them, always acting as if our work was worthless, and it was a great hardship to endure gnomish company. Now I think of it, most was probably a ruse to get lower prices, but I've resentes elves ever since." He glanced nervously at Surya then leaned in conspiratorially and said, in a low voice, and in gnomish, "Just between you and me, I don't really trust that priest. I'd keep an eye on him if I was you"

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.