1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RC Euro: The Mage's Hall

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Erran, Nov 8, 2001.

1. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Wed Online - 13th Eleint

The next morning, Sarathien, Milla, Garacaius, and Nailo rode off early, leaving clear diections with Matilda at the bar. Out in the wild, Garacaius summoned a familiar and a raven appeared, who he christened Shadowfang. He sent the raven aloft to scout the way.
    Around midday the raven spotted a pair of ogres, carrying the body of something. The party dismounted and prepared to attack. Sarathien cast entangle and in the wild it worked perfectly, ensnaring the ogres. One hit Sarathien with his spear but then the party replied with a fusilade of arrows and bolts. The male went down, looking like a pincusion; try as she may the female could not break free.
    Jakob arrived on the scene and took pity on the badly wounded creature, calling on it to surrender. It did so, saying the party could have the deer they had been carrying. Sarathien laid down his bow. Nailo's blood was up, he would not be denied his 'kill'. He fired his crossbow, missing. The ogre retrieved her club to charge but Garacaius dropped her with a magic missile.
    Not all the party felt comfortable about the outcome. They rode on in subdued mood. They met another couple of riders who turned out to be Darius and Bayne. Jakob, Garacaius and Milla recognised the ranger from their voyage on the Cormorant. They swapped tales until they arrived at Knott's Ferry Inn around nightfall.
    The Innkeeper/ferryman warned them not to venture out at night and to keep their windows shuttered against the 'Night Things'.

250 xp to Garacaius, Jakob, Milla & Sarathien
    120xp to Nailo (alignment penalty)

[This message has been edited by Erran (edited November 09, 2001).]

2. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Before retiring for the night, Darius approaches Knotty. "You mentioned that some travelers had come up missing. Were any of them Merchants? You see, my friend and I came across several Bugbears with goblin servants. They were carrying a load of silk cloth, and silver bars. Now, normally these creatures are not known for being silk merchants. Also, do you know of a location where we may sell this fabric? We don't have a need for such as this."

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited November 08, 2001).]

3. Erran Gems: 19/31

"Aye, one was a merchant alright, but he'd been selling herbs up north, not silk. I could take one bolt of your hands, but any mor you'd have to sell in Nesme, a days ride south of here." was Knotty's reply.

4. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

ooc: this is assuming that the night was uneventful. I know this upsets the chronology a bit, but I hope that may be excused. If other people's posts mean this is rubbish, I'll edit it (eventually)
    ooc 2: from my perspectve as a player it looked like most of the party was in agreement that the ogres were a genuine threat, and letting one go was just naivete on Jakob's part.
    before going to bed, Jakob passed Garacaius the potions he had found in the temple, indicating that the elf might like to have alook at them. He then went to his room, shuttered his window, laid a loaded crossbow by the bed and fell into uneasy sleep....

....Jakob woke and splashed himself with cold water and headed down to breakfast. He noticed that the others were already almost finished. The cook looked at him dissaprovingly, hnading over a cold plate of scrambled eggs. Jakob prodded the eggs thoughtfully with his fork and began to ramble vaguely at all who would listen "Y'know, I've been thinking. This may surprise some of you, " he shot a look at Nailo, " but I have. In forty years, I saw not one dead body, but since the incedent in Silverymoon I've lost count of the number of corpses I've seen, some even by my own hand. I wind my crossbow by second nature, I have few qualms about looting the dead, I know not where I am headed, and even getting a bed for the night is a matter of luck. And I do not even know what I hope to achieve from all this. I have left a comfortable future behind, traded it for uncertainty, violence and poverty, and for what? There is no clear path, I knew nothing of the cause before I joined, and do not even know my own aims. Some have even said all I want is to rebel against my upbringing. Do I have a conclusion from all this? Of course not, it's just random musings..."

[This message has been edited by Ironbeard (edited November 09, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ironbeard (edited November 09, 2001).]

5. Ksiel Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Stopping to listen to Jakob, Nailo speaks, "After the other day Jakob, I don't think anything you could do would surprise me."

OOC: On a different note. Alignment penalty? I must protest!! :) I have to say, Nailo does what is right in his own mind and moral code(which is good). That is why I chose Chaotic Good. I don't mind the penalty, it adds flavor, but in the spirit of Nailo I have to play Devil's advocate. He didn't keep on fighting because of some evilness he felt. He kept on fighting because of the spear sticking out of Sara's chest and the dead who know's what they were carrying. Feel lucky, you just had a glimpse into the inner NAILO. Ha :)

One other thing, a week with out the game? I am going in withdrawl. This is the only D&D I get to play. :( I will miss you all this weekend. Erran, you need to quit playing with my emotions like this!!!! haha

6. Erran Gems: 19/31

During the night, Garacaius heard a scratching and rattling at his window shutters, followed by the dull flapping sound of leathery wings, fading into the distance.

OoC: DMs perogative. Shooting at a badly wounded enemy who has surrendered indicates a drift from C-G to C-N in my book. Up to Nailo what he does about it, does he feel guilty or is he proud of his actions?
    When I see what looks to me like good roleplay I award bonuses - eg the boat story (which Nailo should write up). When I see something I'm unhappy about I penalise.

The game doesnt have to stop, the next bit should work fine by posting. I'll try and login when I can.

7. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Garacaius hears the scratching and his eyes are wide open, his face pale of fear with tiny clear beads of perspiration as he whispers a silent prayer.

Lord, protect me, it has come for me indeed. Grant me strength to face it alone...

As the rattling stops and the flaps of wings starts, Garacaius grabs his crossbow and turns on his lantern placing it in the middle of the room. During the rest of the night he sits on guard in the corner, ill at ease. The night passes in what seems an eternity.
    As the suns early rays beam through the window onto Garacaius' pale face, he seems to regain some of his color. He quickly gathers his gear while awakening Shadowfang, "Wake up you lazy sluggard."
    Rushing in the main room he meets his fellows and run toward them, "It is here! It has come for me! Tonight, the creature! We must make a trap, get rid of it forever! My window, it was there! IT HAS COME!!!"

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited November 09, 2001).]

8. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Khor had decided to take a detour by the mines to see how Bombas and his company was getting along. He chatted with Bombas over an evening meal, and spent the night at the mines. The next morning he arose with the sun, devouring a bowl of steaming porridge before continuing on to Knott's Ferry.

9. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

Jakob, caught up in his own concerns, fails to notice that Garacaius is distinctly agitated when he comes down, and only becomes dimly aware of it once he has finished talking to no-one in particular. After an explanation from Garacaius, Jakob shrugs. "Don't see how it matters myself, " he mumbles, "after all, we've got three and a half elves with us - assuming Sarathien shows up. Shouldn't be that big a problem to have a permanent watch whenever we set up camp."

10. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

"No no no Jakob! It's my bane, the bat of old times. Sitting outside the window, rattling and stared at me with red eyes as I looked up from my book of ancient lore. 'Tis be the one who had me set my home ablaze. It got my foster father and now... It has come back for me! I know it I! I must find a way of killing it, or it will destroy me, making me disappear like the rest here! Probably while I'm sleeping!"

Garacaius is still bewildered, not sure of fantasy and reality anymore. He runs to the innkeeper: "Where can I find one willing to sell some animals I could use as bait!?"

11. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Darius entered the Dining Hall of the Inn having rested long enough. Hearing the incidents of the night at the window of the mage, Darius' mind began to think of all manner of traps that could be set to catch a flying beast. Luring the beast in would be the easy part, incapacitating it would be another matter.

Turning to the Mage Darius makes some suggestions. "Garacaius, I can tell that you have been terribly upset by the events of the night, but you need to calm down and take this one step at a time. Rushing into a course of action could prove to be fatal. Luring in the beast is a good start, but for the first encounter, simple observation would be more prudent. Once you know what sort of beast is truely tormenting these good folk and yourself, a plan will be easier to formulate. Acting too soon against a beast you know nothing about will only serve to place you and your friends in grave danger. Has anyone seen Bayne by the way. I would like to discuss a matter with him."

Darius then approached Knotty. "Good Sir, I would appreciate it if you could tell me whether the barbarians out of Griffons Nest have been active in theis area of late, more than would seem normal that is?"

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited November 11, 2001).]

12. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

"Hmm, you speak wise new friend, though it is a personal matter. Being aided by my friends I gladly will be, if they wish to aid that is. It is my call, my fate, my nemesis and you cannot escape that. Though till tonight, we have someone to see in this town." Garacaius looks on his awoken comrades, "Well, shall we pay a visit to this mage?"

13. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

Jakob's eyes widen as Garacaius describes the beast. "I'm sorry," he says, "I had no idea, I'll gladly face this thing with you, and I completely agree with Darius' advice. Sounds as if it might even be a magic beastie, way you've described it. Hmm, maybe I should get some silvered bolts. About the mage, I say we should go see him.
    And I've sort of got to scheming
    We could interrupt the mage's dreaming
    With your raven and a ghost sound knocking at his door
    A little fun and nothing more

If I could get the rhyme and metre
    Then our joke would be the sweeter
    With a ghost sound ever knocking, knocking on his chamber door
    And could your pet say 'nevermore'?"

14. Ksiel Gems: 2/31

Nailo looks at Garac questionly, "Bat of old times? What are you talking about? Have you fought this creature before? If it is just a bat, why are you so scared of it? One bat against all of us, it won't stand a chance! You are worring to much."

15. Erran Gems: 19/31

14th Eleint
    Something about Knott's demeanor seemed a little agitated. "Noo, since this trouple with the 'Night things' we havent seen too much of the Barbarians. They tend to cross further south at the Goblintide Ford I hear.

No sir, no-ones going to sell you an animal just to get get killed. If you are so anxious, why not leave your own horse out?

Now, does any one want passage across or not?
    It's 3sp for a horse and rider, I can only take 2 at a time."

16. Ksiel Gems: 2/31

"I agree. Lets get this over with.", Nailo sets 3 silver pieces down. Looking back at everyone in the group except Jakob, "Who is going to cross with me?"

17. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

"I'll go along with Nailo." Garacaius hands over 3 silver pieces.

"You see Nailo, it is not the bat that I'm afraid of, not in itself. But my fate connected with this fiend. I didn't see the creature last night, it just reminded me of.. of my failure to control myself in the earlier days. I thought or think, I'm not sure anymore, it to be the same. I fear for the outcome facing it, it has caused me much grief already."

18. Ksiel Gems: 2/31

Nailo looks over at Garac and gives a sly smile, "Well Garac, I hope you don't misunderstand me, but I believe an elf paves the path of his own fate. If you keep on this chain of thought then this "bat" of the past will consume you. You decide when you want to face, then face it, and defeat it all on your terms."

Nailo then stops and looks over to Garac again with a sadness in his eyes, "However, I guess that some things are much easier said than done. I should have learned that by now. So what did this bat do to you, or what is its significance?"

[This message has been edited by Ksiel (edited November 12, 2001).]

19. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

Jakob digs in his money pouch for three silver pieces. "I'm going next, when the ferryman comes back," he announces, "Who's willing to go with me?"

20. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Milla gathers three silver pieces from her pouch.
    "I'll go with you Jakob. I wonder if the others got our message"
    Milla looks back at the road to see if anyone is coming.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.