1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RC Euro: The Nun's Tale

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Erran, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Wed night online:

Milla, Garacaius, Sarathien, Nailo and Jakob kept the appointment at the Council Chambers. The whole council was in session, including 1st speaker Tessarin, Jygil and Eregrund of the Riders. They exchanged information and Jakob was given a masterwork dagger for 'retrieving' Tessarins. Jygil was able to tell them that the 'Chloe' mentioned in the Baneites notes was the Abbess of the Old Order, and gave them directions and a letter of introduction.
    Pausing only to buy supplies and leave a note for Khor and Perch with Matilda, they galloped off. Following the bank of the Surbrin south the journey was uneventful, except for Sarathien's unsuccesful attempts to bag a brace of rabbits for supper.
    At dusk they arrived at the Jolly Friar Inn. They could just about make out the dark shape of the monastery on an island in mid stream. The innkeeper, Raferty, would not row them across in the dark so they enjoyed a hearty meal of wild boar washed down with 'Dragon's Blood' a green liqueur brewed by the monks of the Old Order, then retired.
    That night Garacaius identified the wand as one of Spell Storing.

50xps for the participants.

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

After the sumptuous dinner the night before, Garacaius was feeling full of energi as he faded out of his trance. Looking around, he noticed the sun shone in the room. The birds was singing too. He rose and got dressed while gathering his equipment. The black morningstar and the wand were lieing in the sun, suddenly seeming irresistable. Garacaius then spent some hours in deep concentration and skill, using his powers to identify the weapon and wand. He laughed and mumbled "These will come in handy," as he packed them away while heading for the door. Downstairs the first travellers had gotten up already, sitting idle and eating their breakfast.

Ahh, what a good day for some more adventure.. he thought as he walked up to propriator, asking for a tasty local meal and some pure water to follow. Sitting down with his breakfast, he looked around the inn for any of his companions or newcomers who had a tale to be told.

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited November 02, 2001).]

3. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Khor, wrapped up in a discussion about weapon crafting with Ugo, never noticed when his companions left. He paid Ugo the 28 gp for his waraxe, and then discussed the purchase of weaponsmithing tools with him. He also decided he'd probably need a light crossbow and about 20 bolts for special situations.

When he finished his purchases, he suddenly realized he was alone. He made his way to the Council, only to find the meeting was already over. Returning to the inn, he found the note. He saddled his horse and headed out quickly to the Jolly Friar Inn.

4. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

It was late when Milla after a very long day had trouble keeping her eyes open. Among the last to head to her appointed room she was interupted by the door to the inn. She turns around finding herself face to face with Khor.

"Oh, hi Khor I'm glad you got our note. We was in a hurry to get here so we decided to start out here as fast as we could."

Milla takes a seat again to have a drink with Khor and update him on the conversation with the council.

"... and that's why we decided to go and visit the abbess of the Old Order"

Getting more tired by the hour Milla finally retires to her room.

Next morning (not so early) Milla finds her way back to the main room ordering some breakfast.

"Hello, Garacaius. Up with the birds as usual?"

5. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] The door to the eating salle of the inn opened and a face peeked in; seeing the familiar faces, the rest of the Perch slipped in the room, moved up to sit beside Garacaius and Milla.
    "Hey! I found you. All that bad food made me go search for a better place to dine and... actually I thought that youw would not mind me around, right?"
    He quickly hopped off the chair to reach the innkeep and order an extensive breakfast course, returning very soon.
    "How was your day?"

6. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] After listening to Milla's report, Khor made arrangements for a room. The next morning he arose and spent a few minutes polishing his waraxe before heading downstairs for breakfast.

7. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

Garacaius looks up with a smile at the still tired-looking Monk

"Aye indeed Milla, I am. Wonderful day is it not? Have a seat." Garacaius waved at an empty chair. "Ready to meet the order? Having some insight in monostaries and that sort of thing, can you tell me what to expect when we get there?"

8. Erran Gems: 19/31

"Well, gentlefolk, 'tis a fine morn, are you ready for me to row you across to monastery isle now?" enquired Raferty. "I'd better warn you though, they may not let all of you into the inner keep."

9. Zorac Gems: 11/31

Still a little blear-eyed Milla answers Garacaius.
    "Monostair? i suppose it's like a double stairs but only half of it?"
    Millas mind suddenly catches up.
    "Oh, you mean the monestary? Can't really say much about it. If it's anything like "my place" they're reasonable selfreliant. Judging by the 'Dragon's Blood' yesterday they probably growing some herbs for example. Being on an island i suppose they do some fishing for food. There's usually a decent library with all sorts of books. Some large practice rooms or outside areas for weapon training and work out. The lodging is sometimes spartan, but that wary from order to order."

"Don't really know that much about this particular order. I'm really looking forward visiting them."

Milla turns to Raferty.
    "I suppose we're all ready", Milla looks around to see if anyone is missing.

[This message has been edited by Zorac (edited November 03, 2001).]

10. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

Garacaius nodded to Milla and looked at Raferty: "How much is the ride? Perhaps you could tell us something about these areas as well?"

11. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Jakob rolled over in his bed and grunted. He sat up and clutched at his temples, his head was throbbing. Too much Dragon's Blood that's for sure. Jakob groaned. He was sure there was something important that everyone had to do today, but couldn't for the life of him remember what it was. "oh well, " he thought, "it'll come to me..." and promptly fell back to sleep.

12. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] ooc: Erran, could you give me the price on my purchases? Khor will buy a MW weaponsmithing set if Ugo has them; if not, then the regular version.

IC: "So we're off to see the Abbess are we? Did Jygil have anything to say about the general mentioned in those notes?"

13. Erran Gems: 19/31

Raferty explained that the monks of the Old Order revered the old gods, rather than the likes of Tyr and Sune. They were most interested in finding the right path through life, by studying ancient Lore. Other orders repected them and sent students to study here from time to time. The fee for the round trip was 1sp per person.

14. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] ooc: Also need to know the price of the stay last night. Aaaarrrgh I hate keeping up with all this money stuff! Can I hire an accountant?

15. Vanadin Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Sarathien had been up since the first light of dawn, and like Garacaius he felt full of energi. The sun was just finding its way into the room through the window, the ranger never bothered to close any shutters.
    Grabbing his pack he went downstairs where Raferty served him some breakfast.
    Anxious to be out in the fine morning air, the elf took the bread with him and found a spot outside. His friends could sleep well past noon for all he cared...

16. Erran Gems: 19/31

Sat night online (long) - 12th Eleint

Raferty took 1sp from Milla, Garacaius, Sarathien, Nailo and Khor as they boarded the ferryboat. He began to row them across to Monastery Isle. Perch had been enjoying an unusually hearty breakfast and just missed the boat. Sarathien noticed a figure gesturing on the far bank and seconds later they were enveloped in thick fog.
    Alarmed they drew their weapons and peered into the gloom. Seven reptilian heads broke the surface all around the boat and scaly claws grabbed at them over the sides of the small craft. Garacius loosed off a magic missile and Khor christened his new waraxe by splitting the skull of one of the lizardmen.
    Two of the creatures, hungry for meat, grabbed the side of the boat and rocked it vigorously, trying to make it capsize. Sarathien, Milla and Khor were thrown into the waters of the Surbrin.
    The rocking of the boat ruined Garacaius's gestures so his next spell fizzled. Nailo struck with shortsword and dagger to account for another reptile. Sarathien and Khor tried without success to grabble with the lizardmen in the water, getting slashed by claws as reward. Khor slipped beneath the waves followed by one of the creatures. Milla climbed back on the boat, only to fall back into the water. Nailo went berserk, slashing with his sword before diving into the water shouting 'Donovan!'.
    Milla chopped at one; Sarathien hauled himself back on board, picked up his bow and struck one in the chest with an arrow, Garacaius hit it with a magic missile and it exploded in a shower of retilian chunks. Even Raferty joined in the fray, striking with an oar. Nailo accounted for the last and he and Khor were helped back on board.
    The reason for his actions is a story best told by Nailo.
    "Someone didn't want us to get here" thought Sarathien. Raferty rowed them on to the isle where they were met by Brother Ernst. Only Milla was granted audience with Abbess Chloe. She knew something of 'The Raising of the Dark'. It was an entity made from energy from the negative plane, summoned by the Netheril to protect their belongings from the Phaerimm. It had gone out of control and caused much havoc before being 'banished'.
    Chloe took Milla to the Monastery library where a Netheril scroll dealing with the Dark was kept under heavy guard. When she came to examine it she found it was a fake, the real one had been stolen.
    Suspicion fell on the last two to handle it, Heronymus and Zog. Zog was last heard of travelling east, 4 years ago. The scroll had been discovered near the Moonsea. Chloe gave Milla her blessing and loaned her an enchanted chakram.
    Milla rejoined the party and they asked Raferty to row them to the west bank. There Sarathien picked up a trail which led along the bank for 400 yards, ending at a treestump and a rope. "Looks like our enemy escaped by boat" Khor observed.
    Returning to the Jolly Friar Inn they rejoined Perch and Jakob, lunched on bread, ham and cheese before riding back to Nesme.

"Ambushed in a magical mist, now where does that ring a bell?" Garacaius thought...

450xps to Garacaius, Khor and Sarathien.
    500 xps to Nailo and Milla.

17. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

Garacaius sits somewhat disturbed in his own during the lovely lunch, thinking back to earlier experiences. Looking at the others, he slightly coughed raising his voice.

"Having come to think of it, we might have been much closer to our Er-Cam than first expected. During my days in silverymoon when we, Jakob, myself and some others, were to set up Er-Cam in this false trade, a fog or darkness surrounded us in the woods even though it was a bright clear day. It might have been him on that shore, or some minion of his. If it was, he probably knows exactly where we are, following us closely."

Garacaius takes a swallow from his glass of pure cold water and continues.

"We must make great haste before he can set up another ambush. Hopefully he is still unaware of what happened in the mine, so he doesn't know where we are going. What do you think Jakob? You were with me as well back then. And what do the rest of you think?"

He looked with curiousity at his friends, hoping not to spoil the wonderful lunch with all his dark theories.

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited November 04, 2001).]

18. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

On hearing about Nailo's exploits, Jakob casts dancing lights around Nailo's head and says "Been overindulging in the Holy Spirit as well, have you?". Turning to Garacaius, he listens to what his elven friend has to say, then adds his own opinion. "It may well have been him, but it's not unknown for different parties to use similar tactics. I'm personally not altogether comfortable with the idea of chasing this Zog fellow for the scroll. Seems to me like we're in over our heads with this whole "Raising the Dark" malarkey. If you asked my opinion, I'd want to continue to Waterdeep, and leave ancient rituals for proper adventurers."

19. Zorac Gems: 11/31

Milla listens carefully to Garacaius and Jakob.

"You have a point there Jakob. This is indeed too big for us to handle. But that cannot stop us from doing our part, hopefully there are other forces at play here. Remember my vision. I believe we are not alone in this."

"Suppose we walk away from this and they succeed with 'Raising the Dark'. Can you say to yourself 'I could have stopped that' and still look at yourself in the mirror?"

20. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

"Indeed I could not," responds Jakob, " for to say 'I could have stopped this' would be a lie. The closest I could say would be ' I could have died there too'. I'm interested in what you say about other forces, though. Are you suggesting that your god will intervene? If you think we've got a chance, then I'm all for playing a part, but I don't want to die for nothing. In fact, ever since we left Silverymoon I've had my doubts about my particular role in this group, and what I really hope to achieve by tagging along."

[This message has been edited by Ironbeard (edited November 04, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.