1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RC Euro: The Red Baron

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Erran, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

5 Eleint 1371

The 5th day of the voyage was uneventful and at last the fortified trading town of Nesme came into view. Jack moored the Cormarant and said repairs would take at least a couple of days.
    As night was falling the party went off in search of an Inn to raise their spirits, the chanced upon the 5 Gold Crowns.
    Jakob over indulged in Turnip Vodka and retired early. Majikus and Garacius got into conversation with an unhappy man who told them a strange tale about a Baron Forkbeard.
    This local horse rancher had been married 5 times in the last 7 years, each wife meeting an untimely end. Samuel, the sad man, told how his sister, Esmie, was wife number 4. He claimed to have seen her alive only a week ago, after the Baron had buried her and re-married. He asked the party to rescue her and return her to the family.

[This message has been edited by Erran (edited August 20, 2001).]

2. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Majikus thinks thoughtfully of ways of gaining enterance into the Baron's home...

"Well lads, howabout if we pose as a unit of men designated to the Baron's house to protect it from an expected barbarian attack in that region? And also say that the city wants to take extra precautions by putting a personal bodyguard over the house as they do not want to risk the Baron's safety. If we get in then, it would give us a chance to look around and hopefully find Samual's sister and ask her to come back to Samual. If need be, we could disguise her to help her get out. And we could also use Hook to seek her out...hopefully the Baron has no dogs at home...well what do you lads say to it then? I'll give you until tomorrow morning to decide and we can go about collecting some equipment etc."

Majikus drinks the last of his vodka and quickly finishes his roasted fowl and then turns quickly to Samual...

"Samual, will you be staying here for the night? and if you are then meet us tomorrow morn for a full discussion with the group on what the Baron has...if you are not staying here, then come tomorrow morn anyway...now i bid thee all a good night"

Turns and tosses a few silver pieces over for the rent of the room. Upon reaching his designated room, Majikus takes out his Magic book and relearns the sleep spell which he failed to cast onto a drunk Jakob. After re-learning that spell he puts his Magic Book back and falls asleep.

Ooc: I've now memorized 2 magic missile spells and 1 sleep spell.

3. Gash Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Gash was bleary eyed from all the travelling and the event in the river.

He didn't have enough money for a room so instead persuaded the barkeep to let him sleep downstairs.

He sat on a chair with his feet up on the table when all had gone and played his harp softly all night long as the embers of the fire glowed.

He smiled. Since he didn't drink he found it was easier to afford the little luxuries in life. granted this left him with only 2gp to spare but what the hell, he found he could blag his way out of most of life's little situations.

He took out his long sword and scratched his name in tiny letters on the table.

Then he resumed playing his harp till the day broke...

4. herf Guest

As the night grew on Surya became tired and weary, handing over the money for a room under duress Surya climbed the stiars and fell asleep.

5. Erran Gems: 19/31

OoC For a map of the area round Nesme check out: http://people.ne.mediaone.net/frankmarianne/

Gash's singing earned him 4 sp from patrons at the 5 Golden Crowns Inn. Thomas thought Majikus's plan had some merit. Samual agreed to meet them early the next morn. He gave them a sketch map showing the location of the Forkbeard Ranch.

6. herf Guest

Before the party notices him Surya slips out of the inn. Walking around the city, he admires all the buildings and the statues to various deitys.
    After an hour or so of walking Surya spies the Duke's inn, walking through the door his senses are immediately bombarded with quiet serenity. Motioning for the bartender Surya orders an Ale, deciding to listen to the other patrons tales Surya opens his ears and listens for rumours....

[This message has been edited by herf (edited August 22, 2001).]

7. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Garacaius awakes and take his time to pack his bag and equipment.

"Better to have to have it all in stock and be prepared for anything." He thinks to himself.

As he enters the main room he sees the sad sobbing man from yesterday, not quite sure of his name "San... Sam... Samual!." he thought. He approached Samual "Greetings good sir, while we are waiting for the rest of the party, can I offer you anything, breakfeast or water perhaps?"

While Samual considers the offer, Garacaius order some breakfeast for himself, and a glass of cold water. "Nothing to start the day as good meal, no?"

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited August 22, 2001).]

8. Gash Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The morning was a crisp and pleasent one, Gash let his legs down form the tabletop, they were sore so he stareted to massage some life into them and make his aroma seem more pleasent.

The harp was out of tune so he put it back in it's leather case and waited for the others to ocme down. Apparantly there was talk of a plan to pose as a group of soldiers.

That was a part he knew he could play...

9. Erran Gems: 19/31

6 Eleint

Surya learned that the Riders of Nesme's patrols had suppressed barbarian raids for the last few months. The most common nickname in Nesme was 'Trollslayer'. Baron Forkbeard was something of a recluse and had not been seen in town for 5 years. All dealings were done at the fortified mansion at his ranch.

Milla and Garacaius felt stronger (regained another point of CON)

Thomas came down and joined the others for breakfast. "So comrades, what's the plan?"

10. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Jakob rose form his slumber. His head felt like it was exploding, and his tongue seemed to have the texture and flavour of a dead rat. A pounding at the door echoed around his head and caused blinding flashes of light to appear before his eyes. "Go away!" groaned jakob burying his head under the covers. "Wake up gnome boy," came the shout, "I've got to clean the room, and we don't do refunds on missed breakfast!". From within the covers Jakob replied "I don't feel like breakfast, and I'll clean the room myself - just let me rest!". The voice came again. " Do what you want gnome boy, but you might want to know your friends are leaving..." Jakob got up and washed hastily and threw on some clothes. He ran downstairs struggling to remember what had happened last night, something about an invisiblility potion ,and then, then there was the thing - oh yes, the Baron, being a relic of an antiquated fuedal heirarchy built upon perpetuating the social and economic circumstances which contribute to the continual degradation of the liberty of the peasant classes, had unjustly faked the death of an honest hard working proletarian. And then ... and then he'd made himself look like a complete lightweight. He was no dwarf, but two vodkas still wasn't much. He'd never be able to face the mockery. He steeled himself, and approached the table where a number of his companions were talking to Samual. "Hey lads, I feel it is my duty as a revolutionary and crusader for the little guy, in both the literal and figurative sense, to to help liberate the honest proletarian from the Baron, who is a relic of...oh you've heard all this before? anyway, what's the full story on this? I'm thinking, that he'd need some priest to do all those phoney weddings and funerals, so the temples might have noticed something."

11. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Milla wakes up well after sunrise. A dull ache reminds her of the strige incident two days ago. She decides to put them as a runner up on her "most hated"-list.

Milla comes down the stairs catching Jakobs words.
    "Exactly Jakob, and where is she supposedly buried? Is it possible to access that site without the Baron finding out?"

12. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

"Ah, good morning Jakob, and how is your head today?"

Garacaius can't help snickering a little and turns to Milla.

"I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying. From what I make of this story, She is alive and not burried? Anyways, I suggest we make a stroll through the town and resupply what we might need before seeking out this baron, as for planning, we could do that now. Perhaps some local gossip can speed our effort to find this lost girl."

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited August 22, 2001).]

13. Zorac Gems: 11/31

"Well Garacaius, since the Baron have buried her and remarried someone else I conclude that burial took place somewhere. Isn't that what you said Samuel?"

14. Erran Gems: 19/31

Wed nights online session:

Samual told the party all he knew:
    Forkbeard's first wife, Miranda, was trampled to death by stampeding horses.
    Izzy, his second drowned in the river
    Elena, the third was killed by a troll
    Esmie, the fourth and Samual's sister, died of the pox
    His current wife is Magrit.
    Forkbeard had been a priest of Sune. The women were all buried in a mausoleum in the grounds of his ranch.

They set off for the estate and arrived at the iron gates of the perimeter wall. Inside was Rolf, a half orc guard. Magicus and Garacaius tried to bluff their way in with a forged letter saying they were mercenaries sent to guard the estate. The bluff failed so Majikus tried to 'sleep' the guard. Unfortunately his will was too strong and he only got angry. Noticing Majikus gesturing and muttering he drew his crossbow and shot him. The bolt grazed Majikus's temple and he fell unconcious. Surya healed him as the others let fly with slings and a magic missile. Things were getting out of hand so Jakob used all his diplomacy skill to get Rolf to cease firing. Amazingly, he succeeded (OoC beating a DC of 25!)and convinced Rolf to show the letter to the Baron.
    Rolf whistled and a one armed hooded figure shuffled up, smelling of rose water. Rolf told this 'Elly' to take the letter to the Baron. She returned a little while later and passed a note to Rolf with the Barons reply:
    He did not need the protection of any mercanaries and they should 'clear off'.
    The group then debated as to what to do next

OoC 50xps for Jakob

15. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

As soon as the group was out of sight of the gates, Jakob spoke up. " I agree with the plan of using Hook to get a message in and coming back after dark to bust the women out. First, I think at least one of us should go to Nesme to buy provisions and tell Sam, even if the rest of us are scouting. We'll probably need to rest at some point in the day if we're not to be fatigued come nightfall. Now, the tactical details. At the risk of stating the obvious I see two main barriers - the gate, and the orc. There are three ways I see of getting past the gate. One, someone picks the lock. Unless anyone thinks they can do better, that's my job. Two, someone forces the lock," he nods to Milla, " you look like you could handle that. Three, Hook goes in and finds the keys. If we run into the orc, I don't want to use lethal force - I nearly got hanged last time we did that. Subduing him with saps and fists could be quite enough. If we do have to kill him, we should use the barbarian axes. That's all I can say just now, and it's all obvious."

16. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

"I think using hook is the least drastic course of action, and caution would be advised after our, accident with Rolf. Majikus, would Hook be able to deliver a message with some means of reply?"

Garacaius nods at Jakob as he continues

"Else I think we should let Jakob try some lockpicking during the night. Let us try to stay from things that would create noise or in some other way, warn the baron or his guard."

17. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Majikus rubs his temple ...

"So we're stuck? Hmm...well, we can use Hook to investigate the grounds or even pass a message to someone or something ... i don't know ... all i know is now i've realised howmuch my head hurts!"

Majikus continues rubbing his head...

18. Zorac Gems: 11/31

"I think we overlook the obvious here. Getting in shouldn't be a major problem. The walls are 10 ft, that means that it should be possible for a person to reach the top and get over just by standing on someones shoulders. Now if a hasty retreat is called for that may be a problem. Maybe we should use a rope as well to make things easier."

"About forcing the lock. Those were IRON gates. It's probably impossible for one person to do it. Perhaps it could be done with several people (or horses), but it would wake the entire estate that's for sure."

"I agree with Garacaius and cast my vote on a more stealthy approach."

19. Erran Gems: 19/31

Thomas rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "You're right Milla, 10ft isn't so bad. So far we've only tried the obvious frontal approach, let's have a scout round. And Jakob's right too, we've already used several spells and only succeeded in annoying Rolf. We should find somewhere to rest up if we are going to return tonight."

[This message has been edited by Erran (edited August 24, 2001).]

20. Sniper Gems: 28/31

"I'm all in favour of rest! And i like the idea of using rope or Hook but why not combine Hook and the Rope? I mean, we send Hook to 'Elly' delivering a message and then we use some rope to get over a wall and to meet her and use that to help get her over the wall without causing any deaths...Howabout that as a potential idea on stealth? Like it?"

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.