1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RC Jalpiar (Formerly RC No America Tue/Sun)

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Baldak Oakfist, Jan 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The smoke was thick in the dining area of the Purple Worm. Many adventurers stayed at the old inn between jaunts into the wilds. Currently there were several groups that had paid for lodging for the night, along with the rest of the guests, the place was nearly full, this was just the way Samuel liked it. He enjoyed listening to the tales of adventure while tending bar, it reminded him of his own days of adventure and glory.

Looking over at the corner, he couldn't help but notice a rather timid looking fellow staring out at all the comotion. He had checked into a room this afternoon, but hadn't said much about where he was from or what he needed, just that he was here to seek help.

At that moment, the door opened with a loud crash, and in walked Oscar. To most of the locals, he was simply known as "the Ogre", not because he was one, but he was unusually large and stronger than anyone in the city. Oscar also liked to listen to the tales of adventure, so he frequented the inn. He moved over to his usual spot and the waitress was already bringing him his order.

Samuel liked it when Oscar was around, there was usually no trouble unless someone was stupid enough to make Oscar mad. For this accidental benefit, Oscar was never charged for food or drink while at the Purple Worm. "So Oscar, when are you going out on your own adventure?" Oscar simply waved.

2. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

The start is promissing! Let's hear some more!

3. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Knorr, the chef in the Purple Worm, rather liked it when Oscar was about too. The big lug ate a lot, so Knorr got to try out recipes on him. Not that Oscar had discriminating tastes....

The chef at the Purple Worm was fairly content with his lot. From time to time they let him play a song or two on his wooden recorder, and most of the townsfolk seemed to get along with him rather well. Travelers too liked him, but that was usually more because he sometimes let them pay for food by giving him the odd adventuring lesson.

Being a chef, he thought mostly about how long to feed his goat before slaughtering it for cutlets. Goat with saffron was his specialty.

Finishing slicing garlic (with what looked suspiciously like a punch dagger) and tossing it into the marinade he was preparing, Knorr wandered out to the inn to see what information he could gather from the customers.

[This message has been edited by Shralp (edited January 12, 2002).]

4. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

RING, RING, RING. There he sat, day in and day out, listening to the infernal ringing of that bell. Naffins short stay in New Jarla had, so far, been boring. In fact, his days (weeks?) since departure from The Order had been suprisingly dull so far.

Sure sure, travel the land, live humbly and aid those in poverty. Right. Very few of the poor actually appreciate the few coins one can collect and distribute. Just grab the money and scuttle away, fine. Naffin was begining to think himself invisible.

The rare moments of pleasure in this job came from when some moron did notice him, and tried to relieve him of the few coins he could collect in a day. There was an immense sense of satisfaction knowing that some thug trying to rob an impoverished man of his few farthings, would instead be defecating out his own teeth.

Ah, its always the look on their face as it gets crushed in that makes it all worthwhile...

"Oh, here comes a good natured looking fellow." Naffin thinks to himself. RING, RING. "Ahms, Ahms, for the..." Naffin watches as the gigantic man passes on by into the tavern without even so much as a glance. "...lousy stinkard" Naffin finishes.

RING, RING, Inside the barroom is the usual noisy squalor of such places, and slightly above the noise he hears someone shout, "So Oscar, when are you going out on your own adventure?"

RING, RING, "Ah to hell with it." Naffin drops his bell into his vacuous pack, and hops to his feet. After patting some of the dust out of his filthy tunic and trousers, he secures his pack over his shoulder, and makes sure his daggers haven't slipped to a place where he could not readily utilize them. With that done the emaciated man crosses the theshold into the pub.

Perhaps he can nab some scraps of food, eaves drop on an interesting story, or in the very least, beat the living snot out of some deserving tosspot.

[This message has been edited by ArtEChoke (edited January 13, 2002).]

5. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Nyora entered the Purple Worm on this day,as she did periodically to help the unfortunate and infirmed adventurers who wandered into this pub.

On her way in, she nodded a greeting to Samuel and decided to head towards the back of the pub to observe the patrons. There was always some poor lost soul looking for some healing and spiritual guidance. There were, however, a couple of unpleasant persons who do not take well to religious conversation... but people such as those are quite easy to point out of a crowd.

She enjoyed listening to the stories of those coming and going, and, although she didn't like to admit it.. she delighted in most of Knorr's experimental meals (Although she NEVER asked what it's ingredients were).

After a bit of a lull in the ambient conversation, she noticed the poor man from outside of the pub enter, she decided to approach him to see if there was any assistance she might provide.

"Is there perhaps, some aid you might require, Sire?"

[This message has been edited by Xenecor (edited January 13, 2002).]

6. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

Oscar couldn't wait to taste what Knorr had prepared for him today. he enjoyed eating almost more than anything else. It had been a long hard day at the anvil and he was famished. It took alot of food to keep the 6 1/2 foot tall blacksmith at his desired weight of 280 pounds. Seeing the thin man enter the Inn, Oscar told the waitress to ask him if he would join him for the meal.

"Pardon me sir," Priscilla said to Naffin, "But the very large man over there was wondering if you would care to join him for a meal? I assure that he is very friendly despite his size. And I'm sure that your lady friend would be most welcome too." She did not wait for a reply, but kept on about her duties.

Oscar, seeing her ask, waved to them to join in the meal that Knorr had prepared. There was always enough to share with at least one or two thin patrons, even though Oscar's appetite was huge.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited January 13, 2002).]

7. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

Naffin, stopped dead in his tracks. Evidently he should have been trying on the inside of the tavern rather than next to the entrance.

To the nice lady that offered him assistance: "No, thank you ma'am, I personally don't need aid, as part of my training I'm supposed to gather coin where it's available, and distribute it to where it's lacking, and I have to ring this bell.. but it's in my pack, and collect the said coin in this jar," Naffin shows Nyora the jar.

Naffin shakes the jar, "Ahmsahmsforthepoor?"

"Eh, I apologize, that large man over there generously wants to buy me something to eat. It would be rude for me to turn that down and... I know all about being treated rudely. In fact you are the first two charitable people I've met since leaving The Order.

I am Naffin Lickspigot, at your service." Naffin bows low. "Please accompany me to the table of the unselfish gentleman."

With that, Naffin eagerly heads towards the table where the enormous man is seated.

[This message has been edited by ArtEChoke (edited January 13, 2002).]

8. Xenecor Gems: 10/31

Grateful for the appreciation of kindness, Nyora nods in approval of the invite to Oscar's table. She headed towards the table, following the monk.

OOC: I assumed I knew who Oscar was since I've been to the Purple Worm before :)
    By the way, Baldak... Nice save on the last post :p

9. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

Oscar smiled at the very thin human as he approached. "Come, come. Sit. Eat. Plenty food for all. Knorr always treat Oscar good." The huge man thrust a plate at each of the two that were approaching his table. His was already overflowing and there was plenty of food left on the platter. "I seen you in here before." Oscar commented to Nyora. "But you I no seen. You been many places? Me Oscar. Plenty good smith. Make goodly armor and stuff for Armand. Do bouncer thing here too for Sam." With that said, he put his huge hand out to offer a handshake to Naffin.

10. Stilyan Denyal Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

“At least that ‘bell ringer’ isn’t out front today”, Olanth muttered to himself as he Walked towards the Purple Worm. “Damn beggars.”
    He hadn’t been in Jarla long, maybe a couple of weeks, and was already growing tired of the roots growing under his feet. That and the gold in his pocket was getting lighter. His stay there was definitely almost finished , one way or another.
    As he walked in his eyes shot around the inn for Knorr. The chef was a suprisingly decent cook, and sometimes for a tall tale or two, you could get it for free. If you could withstand the pain, you could always ask him for a little song (you had to always remember to say “little” though). That almost always worked. Oscar thought that the cook would do much better if he actually made the patrons pay for their meals.
    Not seeing Knorr anywhere, he thought to himself “I guess I leave on an empty stomach. Well, no sense in making this a wasted trip”. With that thought he wandered up to the bar. “Samuel, seen the cook? I feel like a bit of song today.” He said aloud as he tossed a couple pieces of copper onto the bar.
    “I’ll tell you what.” Samuel chuckled as he served the ale. “I’ll buy the meal today, just PLEASE don’t ask him to sing.”
    Olanth roared with laughter. Enough so that most of the patrons stopped what they were doing to see what was so funny. “Seems like I owe for the meal and saving my ears”, he roared. “When I return, I’ll repay the debt threefold.” Samuel smiled as he tended the other patrons. He’d heard that many times before and if half of them ever returned and repaid their debt he would be a rich man.
    As he stood by the bar drinking his ale and surveying the inn, Olanth noticed Oscar sitting with his companions. Oscar was pretty much unmistakable in a crowd, he was one of the few Men Olanth had met who was larger than he was. “Hehe”, he chuckled to himself. “Maybe I should try begging for a profession”, as he saw Naffin and Nyora pull up a chair beside Oscar. “Free food and beautiful woman”. With that thought in his head he turned back to the bar to get another ale.

11. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

"Very pleased to make your aquaintence Oscar. I'm Naffin."

As Naffin watches, the humungous man's hand engulf's his own entirely up to the wrist in a powerful grip.

"I fear I have not in fact seen many places. I have walked far across the land, and seen much of the same however." Naffin replies to Oscar's question with a dissapointed tone.

He continues, "My travels have taught me a valuable lesson though... the 'Wisdom of the Bell and the Jar' - To help one man in need may, in fact, help no one, but to beat one man so that dies, may help hundreds."

Naffin smirks at his revelation.

"Perhaps you, or the lady," Naffin nods looks towards Nyora, "could tell me more about the land that I am in, or New Jarla, or anything really, this is all much better than ringing the bell."

12. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

"Ah, Olanth," Knorr noticed him as he entered and overheard his jokes with Samuel. "I don't think that uncultured barbarian would know a good song if it charmed him to sleep. Still, seems a tough fellow."

Knorr heard the call for a song and stepped to the side of the room, where the semi-cleared area that served as the Purple Worm's stage was. Looking directly at Olanth, he started to pipe a song.

13. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

"If you want to know about city, Sam knows everything. Just ask him." With that Oscar resumed eating and turned his attention to Knorr who was going to perform, Oscar enjoyed Knorr's songs almost as much as his cooking.

Seeing the barbarian enter the inn, Japheth decided that he looked promising. Approaching Olanth, Japheth musters all of his nerve and begins to speak. "Excuse me sir, I couldn't help but notice that you seem more than able to take care of yourself. Perhaps you would be interested in speaking to my master about a matter of utmost importance?"

14. Stilyan Denyal Gems: 1/31

“No need to be nervous my friend”, said Olanth laughing aloud as he turned his attention from Knorr’s song (and more importantly his ale). “Lucky for you I’m not nearly as mean as I am ugly. That is….” Then he looked at Japenth square in the eye. “Unless you get between me and my ale! HA….HA…HA….”

After he finished finding himself funny (and he was often the only one that did), Olanth straightened himself and continued in a slightly (very slightly) more serious tone. “Today is a good day indeed. I might be interested my friend. Just who is this master of yours and of what matter would he speak?”

15. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

Japeth chuckled to himself. He did indeed find the barbarian amusing, and he felt more at ease seeing Olanth's generally jovial mood. "Well, my master's name is Montague Esterhauze. He is the Minister of Trade here in New Jarla. As to what task he most urgently needs accomplished, I'm not at liberty to say except that he will pay handsomely. Do you have any friends that would be willing to accompany you? I was instructed to obtain the services of several adventurers but, you see I'm not a very good judge of such things. So if you and some of your friends would go out to his estate in the morning, He would be able to explain what he needs."

16. Stilyan Denyal Gems: 1/31

Olanth was now thinking that this was indeed his lucky day. Especially since his ale fund was almost non-existent by now. There still was the problem of companions though. Olanth usually traveled alone and other than the cook knew no one in New Jarla. If this service required several people, where would he find them? After some quick he responded…..

“HA..HA. Today is a good day for both of us then my friend. My…uh…group just happens to be between …uh… deeds of good doing!! We would be more than happy to help…..to keep our skills sharp. Yes, we will indeed speak with this ‘Montagoo’. Where shall we meet him?”

After obtaining directions to the estate Olanth turned back to his remaining ale. “ Oh, stupid Olanth”, he thought to himself. “Group of one maybe. What were you thinking? And how am I to think on an empty stomach?” (Then the dim light finally went off in Olanth’s head).

“Knorr ! He shouted as the cook was walking off the stage. “What a wondrous song! Too bad I’ll be hearing no more of them for a while. I’m uh….off on a ….another mighty adventure…..” Olanth tried to think quickly…..” It would be a sad thing if I were not to ….hear such tales again, and the food in the wild is less than wonderful. I could use some assista….or a ….traveling companion. I get tired of talking to myself all of the time…..Maybe you know of someone …or 3.”

All of this thinking on his feet made Olanth’s head hurt and he was getting more confused at his own story. Eventually, he had no choice but to be blunt. “Nahh !! Knorr, a big shot in town has requested ‘my parties’ services. I don’t HAVE a party but I could sure use the coin. He is offering to pay handsomely he says. Why don’t ‘you’ accompany me, and you know all sorts of people. You could stop telling tales of adventures and ‘live one’. What do you say?"

17. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Knorr was suspicious immediately after Olanth complimented his song, but after listening to the big thug's story, he started to become intrigued.

"No idea what this quest is then?" When Olanth said he didn't, Knorr continued, "Well, I hear that Nyora is pretty good with a bow. Heck, so is Samuel, and he's an old hand with the rapier too. Oscar would be a good one to have along for the intimidation factor. And what about Urkel, the little guy with the limp over by the door? He wields a fine pick."

Knorr walked over to Nyora, offered his greetings, and motioned Olanth to tell her and Oscar his story. "Oh, hello there, Naffin. Good to see you. How's the spot outside the Worm? Need some shade out there?"

18. Xenecor Gems: 10/31

Rising from the table to greet Knorr, she pauses for just a moment in the middle of her greeting, noticing an unsightly man walking with him.

"Oh, good day to y..you, Knorr. What can I do for you?"

Knorr motioned the man to speak. The man explained his need for several adventurers to accompany him to Montague Esterhauze's estate in the morning for a quest of some sort. He also mentioned payment of some sort. Thinking that it was perfect timing for such an event (especially since, in her attempt to aid in Naffin's cause, she realized she was a bit on the needy side, herself).

"Very well, then. I will meet you at the estate in the morning. Oh, (shaking her head in a moment of confusion) forgive my manners, my name is Nyora Meil"

[This message has been edited by Xenecor (edited January 15, 2002).]

19. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Despite his headache, Karak Oakwood, hastily made his way through a crowded street in the fortified port town of New Jarla. He cut down an alley, checking back to make sure he wasn't being followed. He felt as if he was running from his past. Well, it was all behind him now. What was done, was done. He could either mope around in self pity or make the most of his situation. Part of him wanted to stow aboard the next ship and get back to home. The other part of him wanted him to quit dwelling in the past and get on with his life. He couldn't quite place his finger on it, but some feeling from inside himself made him think he should stick around New Jarla for a few more days. He hadn't exactly given the Island of Thoris a chance.

When he came out on the other end of the alley, he took a seat on an abandoned crate by the side of the road to rest a moment. As he was gathering his thoughts he noticed a tavern by the name of the Purple Worm, and the people that were visiting it. Cities always offered strange lots, and taverns were always the centers of attraction.

Karak preferred to just sit back and watch the tavern's entrance and its patrons for awhile. He recieved a few strange looks himself, but didn't return them. He noticed a well dressed gentleman asking something to everyone that passed by. Karak watched and listened and it didn't take long before he learned that a man was sent on an errand to find adventurers. It appeared that Montague Esterhauze was in need of some services, and that those interested should go to his estate in the morning.

*C'mon you like a good adventure.* Karak shifted.
    *I don't know about this.* He fidgeted with his axe by his side.
    *You can't resist. Go on, give it a try.* He got up from his seat slowly.
    *Alright, but you had better be right about this.*

He approached the tavern, and once inside he seated himself quietly along the wall.

20. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

Gathering around the table, Knorr, Naffin, and Nyora listened to Olanth as he explained about a possible task that sounded promising. While they were discussing it, they were approached by a cloaked figure. He identified himself as Karak, and he had overheard about some task involving reward, and he wanted to join. It was decided that they would all meet back at the inn and be off in the morning.

Samuel explained to them where the Ministers estate was, and the group left, heading east toward Oakhurst. They noticed an increased number of patrols, but when they stopped one to inquire about the matter, they were told to just be careful and report anything suspicious to the sergeant of the closest patrol. They arrived at Oakhurst around mid-day.

The Esterhauze estate was easy to spot, and the party approached the entrance gate where they were stopped by two guards. They explained to one guard the nature of their business, and he sent for Japheth. Upon his arrival, the party was escorted inside the main house and led to a room where they were told to wait. Montague Esterhauze, the Minister of Trade, soon entered the room and explained to the group that his two children were adventurers also, but that they had disappeared about a month ago. He wanted the party to search out the area north of Oakhurst, where he believed they went. The party was to bring his children back safe, or bring their signet rings if found dead. He would pay each of them 200 Gold for each ring or double that for his children’s safe return.

The party set off at once, heading north along an old road that lead into the hills. After traveling for another 4 hours, the road turned toward the east. At this point, they could see a deep ravine with some pillars standing along the edge near the center. Upon closer inspection, they found that a knotted rope had been tied to one of the pillars, and it descended into the ravine. There were many tracks around the pillars, and they decided that the two wayward adventurers had gone into this ravine. The sun was beginning to set, so the party set up camp for the night. During the night, they were attacked by 7 tree-like creatures standing about 4 feet tall. They were dispatched with no problem. Karak and Knorr had heard rumors about such creatures, they were called Twig Blights and they fed on the blood of living creatures, killing them and then sucking the blood through their root-like feet.

In the morning, they descended the rope. Oscar remained at the top to guard the camp and Knorr’s goat. At the bottom of the rope, the group found a stairway that continued downward in 10 foot intervals with landings in-between. On the third such landing, Knorr noticed a hole in the ravine wall. He thrust his light encased spear into the hole, and was attacked by a very large rat, about 3 feet long. He easily killed the rat, thrusting his spear into the creature, and two more emerged from the hole. Olanth sliced one in half with his Bastard Sword while Nyora pierced one with an arrow, and the rats were dead. Knorr, discovered seven tiny gemstones in the rat nest.

Upon reaching the bottom of the stairs, some 100 feet down, the party came to what appeared to be a castle. It looked as though it had been swallowed up by the earth and there was a large debris field surrounding it. They arrived inside a courtyard that lead up toward a tower. The tower had a door in the center.

Each party member received 200 experience.

A "Player Map" can be found at my site. http://people.ne.mediaone.net/frankmarianne/
    the link is called Fortress Durbuluk

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited January 16, 2002).]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.